Winter Vehicle?

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Can’t decide 2014 VW TDI Sportwagen or 2007 Honda Fit for Wisconsin winter?

The VW has 40k on it, no rust. But the longer wheelbase would be more stable in snow. Honda Fit doesn’t have much rust either but much higher mileage, 170k. I would be buying a second set of wheels and snow tires for which ever one I go with.

Additional notes - I sit in a parking lot idling for heat for an hour at a time supervising my employees and operations. We (the wife’s truck- very protective of) also have a Nissan Frontier Pro4x that can be used during the big snow storms.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Diesels don't produce much extra heat especially idling. You may have issues due to that. Are you familiar with these cars and the dieselgate emissions situation they just came out of? Familiar with the Extended Emissions warranty? Do you do your own work or is there someone local that knows these cars/engines? They aren't for everyone but can be really nice cars for those that know them. Maybe a 12v ceramic heater would help with the idling.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would think an '07 Fit would rust away to nothing in pretty short order. In terms of snow driving, I don't think one would be any better than the other. But Lightflyer1 is right, the TDI won't do great idling for long periods of time, either in heat generation or in proper emissions system operation.

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I am familiar with Dieselgate and it doesn’t bother me. It’s actually why I bought the TDI, I’ve wanted one for years but that caused prices to plummet so it was a great deal.

I found a local mechanic that is VW certified. Previously I did most of my own work on my vehicles.

The idling was part of my concern. I manage a shipping yard for a DC and I know the DPF filters don’t like idling.

Guess it looks like I am running the Honda or finding an old Subaru beater.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I am familiar with Dieselgate and it doesn’t bother me. It’s actually why I bought the TDI, I’ve wanted one for years but that caused prices to plummet so it was a great deal.

I found a local mechanic that is VW certified. Previously I did most of my own work on my vehicles.

The idling was part of my concern. I manage a shipping yard for a DC and I know the DPF filters don’t like idling.

Guess it looks like I am running the Honda or finding an old Subaru beater.
OR buy the diesel car AND a cheap Chinese diesel fueled heater off Amazon or Ebay to heat the car ... they cost under $175

I'm looking into getting one because I sometimes do overnight courier runs and I hate waking up in the cold ( I don't run the engine overnight).

Andrew

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It sounds like he already has the two vehicles, just wants opinions on which to run. I side with the anti idle crowd. Run the gasser, you'll be more comfortable and your diesel will appreciate it.