Winter mode engaged

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
19's off, 16s w/ nokian hakkapeliitta r2 in 215/60-16 mounted on '12 Tiguan wheels on for the winter. What a weird feeling taking turns...

(Passat 17's are on the Tiguan)
Also installed the tdiheater I bought in the spring. Much easier to install than the '12 Golf I did recently (but much more involved than my Jetta).

I ran the cord to the passenger side and it fit out without any trimming. My extension cord only reaches that far and I didn't feel like buying a longer one :)
Heater mounted:

Heater hoses that replace one of the oil cooler lines:

Did the 30k service (need to pick up some DEF to do a usage pre/post reflash) and installed a Tiguan battery box. Tight fit, but looks much nicer.

Bring on the snow!

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I'm running the same winter tire. New for me this year. Previously ran Michilin Alpin PA4s. Still early but I think I prefer the more balanced PA4. I find the r2s a little squishy and not as confident in turns or highway speeds.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm running the same winter tire. New for me this year. Previously ran Michilin Alpin PA4s. Still early but I think I prefer the more balanced PA4. I find the r2s a little squishy and not as confident in turns or highway speeds.
I bought a set of the R2s for my Jetta last year and they were great (going back on shortly). There is just such a difference going from 19" performance tires to 16" snows (Jetta 17s to 15s). The first off ramp is always an eye opener! Then I get used to them. I ran all seasons the last 2 years (factory Hankooks) and could probably have gotten away with it again (Jetta on snows and a 4x4 truck) - but I commute 60+ miles each way and freak snowstorms aren't fun.

I like that they are a low rolling resistance tire and they were amazing in the snow last year on the Jetta.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun

Give them a bit of time to break in, I've been running Hakkas for many years. I used to drive TTs and always had to break in drive axle tires for up to 10K before they would stop feeling a bit squirrely.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Give them a bit of time to break in, I've been running Hakkas for many years. I used to drive TTs and always had to break in drive axle tires for up to 10K before they would stop feeling a bit squirrely.
Yeah they are feeling better already but I think it's more to due to the colder temps we've been having ?

Either way I'm definitely not regretting them I know they're a great tire. I will see how're rest of the season goes.

passatti

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Nokian tires are excellent on snow and ice, but for decent ice traction you really need the studded versions (sadly not many states left where those are legal?), but not really good on (salted) wet roads...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nokian tires are excellent on snow and ice, but for decent ice traction you really need the studded versions (sadly not many states left where those are legal?), but not really good on (salted) wet roads...
We do allow studs here in NY (certain time of the year), but for the last 30 years, I drove too many miles during the winter to make them worth it. A set of snows would only last 2 years before I started switching what cars get driven. Now that I've cut my mileage, I could probably do studs.

The Nokians that are studded have greatly improved dry/wet traction over the older tech studded snows by allowing the studs to retract into the tire when they aren't biting into ice. But - if it's that icy out - I stay home! :)

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
We do allow studs here in NY (certain time of the year), but for the last 30 years, I drove too many miles during the winter to make them worth it. A set of snows would only last 2 years before I started switching what cars get driven. Now that I've cut my mileage, I could probably do studs.

The Nokians that are studded have greatly improved dry/wet traction over the older tech studded snows by allowing the studs to retract into the tire when they aren't biting into ice. But - if it's that icy out - I stay home! :)
I know plenty of people in OC, NY that run studs, primarily due to where they specifically live, they don't plow the roads that well, so that packed snow quickly becomes ice.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My experience has been kinda different, after 17-20K miles my old WS-60 Bizacks were pretty much ready to tossed (still plenty of tread just no snow tread left)

Running General Arctic Claws on both machines this will be the 3rd winter for the passat and comming up on 20K after this seasons done, about 15K on the jetta. The studs still have plenty of bite.

Biggest fear is change over precipitation for the wife, last year after seeing multiple cars wipe out after freezing fog coated I93 was enough for her to never go unstuded.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know plenty of people in OC, NY that run studs, primarily due to where they specifically live, they don't plow the roads that well, so that packed snow quickly becomes ice.
I live in Orange, but commute down to Westchester. The roads are hardly ever a problem down there - just the traffic. Up near home - they get very bad, but I love driving in the snow (just not to work!). If I didn't commute so far and really needed to get into work when it was bad, I'd run studs.

My experience has been kinda different, after 17-20K miles my old WS-60 Bizacks were pretty much ready to tossed (still plenty of tread just no snow tread left)
Running General Arctic Claws on both machines this will be the 3rd winter for the passat and comming up on 20K after this seasons done, about 15K on the jetta. The studs still have plenty of bite.
Biggest fear is change over precipitation for the wife, last year after seeing multiple cars wipe out after freezing fog coated I93 was enough for her to never go unstuded.
My issue is that 95+% of the time, I'm driving at high speeds - commuting to/from work. I ate up a set of snows a couple years ago in one season because it hardly ever snowed (warm winter). I made it through the last 2 winters in the Passat with the factory Hankooks so I'm sure I can 'get by' with these :)

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I live in Orange, but commute down to Westchester. The roads are hardly ever a problem down there - just the traffic. Up near home - they get very bad, but I love driving in the snow (just not to work!). If I didn't commute so far and really needed to get into work when it was bad, I'd run studs.
My issue is that 95+% of the time, I'm driving at high speeds - commuting to/from work. I ate up a set of snows a couple years ago in one season because it hardly ever snowed (warm winter). I made it through the last 2 winters in the Passat with the factory Hankooks so I'm sure I can 'get by' with these :)
I put nearly 40k miles on my PA4's over three seasons. Sold them with an average tread depth of 7-8/32nds. They wore very good if anyone is looking for an excellent snow tire that will last.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I put nearly 40k miles on my PA4's over three seasons. Sold them with an average tread depth of 7-8/32nds. They wore very good if anyone is looking for an excellent snow tire that will last.
Not bad at all - doing burnouts with the Jetta through second gear and into third may have contributed to the shorter life I was seeing? :) I'm trying to behave with the Passat.