Winter is coming

dubboy2707

TDI
Passat B5
Getting ready for another winter with my b5 passat. Was very inpressed with it last year with the winter tyres on. This year will be even more importent that it works well in the snow as my wife is due to give birth to our second daughter on 1st December . Going to replace the two front tyres this year as they are getting low. I have also made a metal sump tray to which needs fitting up.

Just wondered what preperation or suggestions anyone has to make winter life easyier.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome. Picture in winter mode would be good to.

Thanks

Dream

TDI
Passat B5 1.8t Sport Saloon RHD
Winter tyres, thats it for a german winter.

Didn't know you even get them in UK, never seen anyone when I was living in Scotland.

dubboy2707

TDI
Passat B5
The big problem the uk has is when it snows which it has around me heavy for the last 3 years the local council don't do much about it and to add to that no one can drive in the snow and make it worse. I work in the Derbyshire dales and when it comes down it comes fast. I then have to get home 40 mIles away through rural back road so I prep my car to help me as best I can.

Dream

TDI
Ya, Scotland was literally frozen when there were some what 3 snowflakes. Talking about Greenock here.

Dream

TDI
Yes, next to Port Glasgow in Inverclyde

Important in the snow is a high ground clearance and traction.
Once the cars body sits on compressed snow its over. Last chance, a folding shovel.
2 years ago I got stuck in Munich on a road side parking, which wasn't cleared. Had to use my screwdriver to free the car.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Getting ready for another winter with my b5 passat. Was very inpressed with it last year with the winter tyres on. This year will be even more importent that it works well in the snow as my wife is due to give birth to our second daughter on 1st December . Going to replace the two front tyres this year as they are getting low. I have also made a metal sump tray to which needs fitting up.
Just wondered what preperation or suggestions anyone has to make winter life easyier.
Thanks
If you are really serious about winter traction, you should consider something very radical to get the job done. I would go with the minimum wheel diameter you can fit over the brakes (not sure if 15s will fit B5), the narrowest and tallest tire you can get, in the most aggressive tread available. This is the ticket for heavy, deep snow. If your snow stays on the roads, I would consider a set of studs, if not, stick with the coarse tread. If a significant portion of your winter driving is on snow and ice, look at Blizzaks instead of ultra-coarse tread.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW

Thanks
First I have to ask for your forgiveness because I speak American and you speak English so some of the items listed may seem strange. First I would work on the battery, how old is it, checked the water level, get a low voltage power test. If the battery is 5 years old or older get a new one, your wife will yell at you less on the way to the Hospital if the car starts. If it is less than 4 years old add distiled water check and clean the termanels, and have the battery tested. Second is the fuel system, check the filter for water....drain, get and use an anti-gell fuel additive ( remember yelling wife ), keep at least 1/2 tank in the car, baby will want to come into the world in direct proportion to how much fuel you have and the number of stations open at 3am. Third would be a general check air i tires.....sorry tyres, lube locks ( anti ice ), ice scraper, blanket, soothing music disk for the new Mom

Hope this helps, weather in the U.K. has been weired the last 3-4 years, hope for global warming, hope and wishes all goes well.
Paul
aka Jump62

dubboy2707

TDI
Passat B5
Yes, next to Port Glasgow in Inverclyde

Important in the snow is a high ground clearance and traction.
Once the cars body sits on compressed snow its over. Last chance, a folding shovel.
2 years ago I got stuck in Munich on a road side parking, which wasn't cleared. Had to use my screwdriver to free the car.
It's lovely up there.

I have some suspension blocks to raise the suspension 1 inch aswell

dubboy2707

TDI
Passat B5
If you are really serious about winter traction, you should consider something very radical to get the job done. I would go with the minimum wheel diameter you can fit over the brakes (not sure if 15s will fit B5), the narrowest and tallest tire you can get, in the most aggressive tread available. This is the ticket for heavy, deep snow. If your snow stays on the roads, I would consider a set of studs, if not, stick with the coarse tread. If a significant portion of your winter driving is on snow and ice, look at Blizzaks instead of ultra-coarse tread.
My winter wheels are 15" steel rims currently with 195/65 winter tyres but am looking at some other sizes. Studs are illegal in the uk. Also have chains for deep snow.

dubboy2707

TDI
Passat B5
First I have to ask for your forgiveness because I speak American and you speak English so some of the items listed may seem strange. First I would work on the battery, how old is it, checked the water level, get a low voltage power test. If the battery is 5 years old or older get a new one, your wife will yell at you less on the way to the Hospital if the car starts. If it is less than 4 years old add distiled water check and clean the termanels, and have the battery tested. Second is the fuel system, check the filter for water....drain, get and use an anti-gell fuel additive ( remember yelling wife ), keep at least 1/2 tank in the car, baby will want to come into the world in direct proportion to how much fuel you have and the number of stations open at 3am. Third would be a general check air i tires.....sorry tyres, lube locks ( anti ice ), ice scraper, blanket, soothing music disk for the new Mom

Hope this helps, weather in the U.K. has been weired the last 3-4 years, hope for global warming, hope and wishes all goes well.
Paul
aka Jump62

Thanks Paul

Have been thinking about the battery and totally for got about the fuel filter drain off for water. Will be getting it serviced in october or november .What sort of tempature would I need a fuel additive for?

Usually have a boot full of supplys and a full tank of fuel as I got stuck in the car for 14 hours one evening when the road I was on became blocked.

Thank you for your advise

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Thanks Paul

Have been thinking about the battery and totally for got about the fuel filter drain off for water. Will be getting it serviced in october or november .What sort of tempature would I need a fuel additive for?

Usually have a boot full of supplys and a full tank of fuel as I got stuck in the car for 14 hours one evening when the road I was on became blocked.

Thank you for your advise
I would add treatment if temp drops below 20F, I watch the weather here for a cold snap ( Canada's revenge ) and treat before hand. I work computer support and we had a massive failure that called for an " all hands on deck " at 3am......it was -22F we had a sudden cold snap over 3 days with the third night beening really cold.....Jetta started right up.
Paul
aka Jump62

Dream

TDI
Old tipp from my mum for when you get stuck.
Always have a big candle in the car, 2 or 3 inch diameter and blankets.
The 195 should be the .narrowest allowed on the passat, if I'm not wrong.
About diesel, check out the government regulations in uk for winter diesel.
Here in Germany, diesel sold from somewhat November has to be rated for -22c or so. Had no prob last winter at -28c. My company car is a Golf 6 estate 1.6 tdi.

unclesfunnyonions

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GT 170
Hi mate,

go raid one of those yellow grit bins (early, before it's all gone), fill a heavy duty plastic sack and put it in a plastic box (like those green recycling ones) in the boot and strap it down.

Strong anti freeze mix in the washer bottle and in the cooling system.

Plug in auxilary heater to warm the inside up quickly.

Couple for cans of de-icer and a glove type scraper.

Spare can of diesel.

Shovel, rope, torch, hi-vis vest, blankets, wellys, waterproof thermal gloves, waterproof jacket.

Spare bulb set (get your auxilary lights fitted ;) )

Mobile phone charger.

Make sure your spare wheel is in order.

Flexy exhaust pipe to attach to the end of the system ( incase you get stuck in a drift)

Advanced drivers course, or read everything you can about driving on snow and ice.

errr, see if Ray Mears is free round the due date. Haha.

But seriously, you can't be too prepared, especially with a chabby on the way. :)

Probably some thing's i've missed.

Hope that helps.

Alex. :)

jek

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat, 05 Passat
(b4)-Park mine facing down hill so it can be roll started! Lol poor lil fella doesn't like it at all.... The b5 has no issues at all, just set the heated seats to MAX! And she's ready for winter!
Cummins has no issues either seeing how it already has 36 in MickeyT's!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
ONly thing for me to add would be cat litter or floor dry. Cheapest stuff is okay. You only need it for quick traction. You can also use cardboard sheets or old carpet scraps. Just somethig to give a little more bite against ice or packed snow. It should also be something that you wouldn't mind leaving behind as once you get the car rolling you may not want to stop it.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I think that you'll do fine without additives during winter, I only use them when it's -30C or so. Your car will run like a champ if you just:
* make sure the battery is in good shape
* replace fuel filter, a dirty filter is your enemy when it gets really cold (gelling)
* check antifreeze level in coolant
* fill up washer fluid
* make sure you have tires that are well suited for your climate and driving (inflate your spare tire too)
* try to have at least 1/2 tank of fuel incase you get stuck

For yourself:
* warm clothes/blankets
* a shovel :D
* if you get a lot of snow, learn how to drive properly. Most of the time people are stuck in the snow it's just because they don't know how to drive. I've lost count of the times I've helped people that have gotten stuck in a parking lot or an intersection, revving the hell out of the poor car. Easy does it.

I always keep some tools with me, pliers, knife, jumper cables, electrical tape and such to at least have a chance of fixing the car if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

Dream

TDI
United Kingdom
The United Kingdom differentiates diesel fuel into Summer and Winter Fuel according to BS EN 950[31] and BS EN14214 (biodiesel).[32][33] The same numbers are used in the Republic of Ireland. Distribution of winter biodiesel in the United Kingdom starts in November and ends in March.[31]
Designation CFPP value time frame Cloud Point
Summer Fuel -5 °C 16.03. - 15.11. 3 °C
Winter Fuel -15 °C 16.11. - 15.03. -5 °C
----

Have a look at BP, in Germany Aral (Aral = BP in UK) and OMV offer their premium Diesels with -35c Rating

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
ONly thing for me to add would be cat litter or floor dry. Cheapest stuff is okay. You only need it for quick traction.
My experience with cat litter in those circumstances is that it turns to mush pretty much instantaneously. I've since replaced it with small-animal bedding made from ground-up corn cobs. Still inexpensive, still non-toxic, but far more resistant to getting wet. I even use it for traction on the sidewalk in winter. Works great.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My experience with cat litter in those circumstances is that it turns to mush pretty much instantaneously. I've since replaced it with small-animal bedding made from ground-up corn cobs. Still inexpensive, still non-toxic, but far more resistant to getting wet. I even use it for traction on the sidewalk in winter. Works great.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that bedding material. Sounds good.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon

Go south. :D
:eek: Um, no?!?!?!

I think the inn is full. :p

(the crowds last night as I drove past Outback to get some tea indicated the invasion has started already. I'm actually fine with it - keeps retail here and I have places to eat, however, the traffic issues are horrid. Sigh. Add 10 minutes onto every trip now....)

That said, i'm happy some of you choose to stay up north - we really don't have room for everyone down here!!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seems awful early for the snowbirds. Maybe it's people down for the republican convention that decided to stay in Orlando and leave the kids with mickey while they go visit with mitty. Or maybe they think Orlando is far enough way from the hurricane that it won't spoil their vacation.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Seems awful early for the snowbirds. Maybe it's people down for the republican convention that decided to stay in Orlando and leave the kids with mickey while they go visit with mitty. Or maybe they think Orlando is far enough way from the hurricane that it won't spoil their vacation.
I'm about 50 miles NW of Orlando - near a massive retirement community... it is early, but then again every year less of them leave too! It has been a gradual increase in people over the last couple of weeks - i've been here 8 years now and you can just tell.

But the last numbers I saw had "us" at 60k permanent and 100k in the winter. Thankfully they speed out that 40k over a couple of months.

Jettadoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Auto 419,000Km. +/-(260,000miles)
ONly thing for me to add would be cat litter or floor dry. Cheapest stuff is okay. You only need it for quick traction. You can also use cardboard sheets or old carpet scraps. Just somethig to give a little more bite against ice or packed snow. It should also be something that you wouldn't mind leaving behind as once you get the car rolling you may not want to stop it.
My favourite is ash from my wood stove. It doesn't need to be hot or even warm. I have a couple of buckets stashed away, waiting for the freezing rain.

My driveway has a 1:15 slope over 70 or 80 feet so it takes quite a bit just to cover the tire tracks but ash works really well, better than sand. On a sunny day the dark ash absorbs some heat from the sun and starts melting into the ice and breaking it up. It doesn't help any in snow.

I keep some in the car, for on the road. I lay out 3 or 4 ft. in front of each tire and some of it will stick to the tires and help you a bit further on.

Also, if the car is jacked up on packed snow I try to get as much as possible from under the car before trying to move it. It takes a couple of minutes more but I rarely waste time spinning the wheels.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Yup, the winter sure is coming. I can't wait :)
It's getting colder every day now, the GP light stays on for a while in the morning and I have to turn the heater on. About time to check that the cars are prepared, I need new tires for the Octavia and the Golf needs some rerouting of the wires to the inline-heater.