Winter Diesel

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
bestmapman said:
Does anyone know when winter diesel changes over to summer diesel. It may vary from area to area.
__. The "amount" of winterization and the dates when it's brought in and the dates when it's phased out all vary by climate zones. Somebody once posted a link that shows the info in detail but I can't find it now. But it's out there.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Climologically, the latest snow on record is around 15 Apr - so some time after that, I would imagine.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
coolbreeze said:
Mr gutwrench , any idea on the switchover in NC?
__. Most years, I go to visit my brother on his birthday, up near Charlotte. I fill up near the coast, drive there, then head to Alexandria VA -- highway mileage is about 600 miles. I find that the mileage on these trips is consistently 3-5 MPG which stays up after that through the spring. Since "untreated" diesel should be good to down around 20 degrees F, then it would seem to me that mid-March is good down on the coast. But this is purely "seat of the pants" feel for what's seemed to happen to me over the past 6 years.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Do they sell winter diesel at all in California particularly Southern California? I am not trying to be cynical here I am just wondering.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
yes winterized diesel is sold in California, especially up north (AFAIK)
I would guess specifically north of Sacramento heading towards Redding and east of Sacramento heading towards Nevada
SoCal: probably in the mountains only