Winter Aids

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
OK, I got into the 3.0 world (not leaving my 1.9 behind, just adding the big 6) but it is an engine I know not at all.

I HATE cold starting any engine, especially diesels, so I don't see a cord dangling from the nos of the Q7. What is the engine/oil/water heating system offered by VWAG and the aftermarket? I don't want to go all of the way to an ESPAR combustion heater (have one on my F450 - fantastick bit of kit), but anything short of that is fine.

My dear wife's ALH Jetta is the slowest car to warm up I have ever driven. Her last IDI TD was one of the fastest/warmest. The 3.0 seems a bit slow on this count, so what do you do to make winter a bit more comfy with your TRag or Q?

I usually put a heating pad under the battery (cold batteries don't charge worth a crap). What are the big truck guys here doing with their Q battsl?

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Previous owner had added a heat pad to my Q7, he said on the oil pan. Saskatoon weather.. said it was all he needed. I meant to check its location when I last changed its oil but forgot. I assume magnetic attachment

I normally keep it in an unheated but insulated garage, never below -10c and don't use plug-ins. On one occasion last winter it had been out in a car port for a month and failed to start at -30c. Generated pages of errors for VCDS to clear

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
If you find a winter front that fits I'd be interested. I believe someone in Saskatoon made them for MK6 Golf and Jetta, sold via the VW dealer in PA.