Windshield Wipers Only Move Slow - What's Up?

doubledls

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5 A4, black, 2009 Jetta 6 M, black
Folks:

My 1999.5 Jetta wipers had no high speed to answer the heavy rain today. They will work at low speed, and intermittent speed, and when you hold the switch down or use the washer. At high speed they just move a wipe or two and then stop in the middle for about 6 seconds and do it again. Even the low speed seems a little slow. If a run it long enough at low speed it will also occasionally stop for six seconds and then resume running.

I checked my volts when running (14.1 V) and the battery was reading 12.66 V with the engine shutoff. I also took out Relay 377 and put it back in as it looked OK. I then looked at the the wiper motor assembly and motor and it looks and moves OK.

Has this happened to any one else? Is it a relay problem or a motor problem? Both will be 9 years old in about 6 weeks. What does Relay 377 cost?

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
actually its probably your wiper transmission. 3 bolts to remove, push the part the wipers attach to out, clean and regrease. Helps if you have access to Bentley. Or buy new $75

doubledls

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5 A4, black, 2009 Jetta 6 M, black
Thanks For Info, I will take out & lube

Folks:

Thanks for the quick replies. Now that Lew mentions it, I do remember some conversation about this at a MI GTG. I see I have some work to do. I will see what I find.