Windshield wiper blade refills

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Has anyone tried replacing their WS wiper blade refills(just the blades)?

Its fun!!

34000 miles on the ticker..

Hasn't been back to the dealer since...

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
Yes, the wipers will stay half way up after engaging them with the engine off, them simply remove they and replace the refills. On a post they say that they do not return to park after starting the car back up, but simply engage them again and they return to park. Also they have a feature that allows them to alternate the park position, so they do not take a permanent fold from always staying in the parked down position, they move upon starting up to put opposite pressure on the rubber.

Mach1

TDI
I know/used all the tips mentioned. I was addressing the actual blade replacement, removing the blade from the arm and replacing just the blade.
Its fun and theres a trick to it. How much is the entire arm assembly from VW? I paid less then $5 for both refills, but then took a little while to refill them, they do work well...

Mach1

TDI
So those refills(blades only) are $18????? They sight VW, dont give them $60..I spent $5...

But there is a trick to installing them.

Thats what this whole topic is about, I guess as people start replacing them, I will get back to this topic in the future...

Does nobody else replace their wiper blades every 6 months?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
When I first got my Jetta, there was a little piece missing out the center of the rubber part. Instead of going back to the dealer and wasting the day sitting there waiting for a new blade to be installed, I bought a refill for $2 and put it into the blade myself.

Mach1

TDI
EL-was it easy to install the blade?

Mach1

TDI
Did you pay $18 dollars for two blades? you can get them local for less then $5..

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Mach1 said:
EL-was it easy to install the blade?
The plastic end caps pull off. On one of the ends, when you pull the plastic cap off, there's a little metal tab that holds the rubber in place. You have to bend it up slightly to be able to release the old rubber part to slide it out. Slide the new rubber in and push the metal tab back down to hold it in place. Trim off the excess, if necessary, push the plastic cap back on and you're ready to go.

Mach1

TDI
You got it...Took a little to figure out..

Although I only paid $5 for the refills...

Tditork

TDI
2012 Jetta 2010 Touareg 81 Rabbit diesel
So...I took the blades off and attempted to pull the black end caps off to put refills in the blades. From reading this thread the black caps are supposed to pull off. I pulled pretty hard - can't get the caps off. Any trick to this or should I just choke on the cost of complete new blades ? Appreciate any words of wisdom here. BTW - just did the 20K service myself at a huge cost savings thanks to these forums!

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
I had posted a DIY on vwvortex about a month ago on this.

Here's a copy of it, with Webshots pics:

I needed new wipers for my Jetta, and being a cheap b@st@rd, decided to swap just the inserts out, rather than buy all new blades.
I couldn't find anyone who sold inserts for the mkV yet, so I used simple aftermarket inserts, and just removed the plastic backbone, keeping only the wiper itself.

This is really pretty easy:
1. Put wipers in "maintenance" position (turn off key, hit wiper switch once, pull arms away from windshield);
2. Pivot wiper 90 degrees, and pull off of wiper arm;
3. Take a thin blade screwdriver and CAREFULLY pry off both of the end caps on the wiper;

4. On one end, there's a small metal "spike" that keeps the rubber insert from pulling out - gently pry this spike up just slightly;

5. Pull out the old insert from the other end;

6. Slide in new insert, and press the metal spike back down with a needle-nose pliers to lock the insert from sliding;
7. Press the plastic end-caps back on, reinstall wipers on arms and place them back on the windshield.
This retains the OE low profile blade frame, but allows fitment of inserts of my choice alot cheaper than constantly buying complete frames.

Also allows you to install "hi-tech" triple edge styles too.

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
One nice thing about the "factory" refills is they include the little plastic end caps (all 4), so you don't have to be quite so nervous about breaking a tab....

subspd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Plus I went to get refills... No one here carries them anymore Wal-Mart, AZ, AA, Napa none of them sell only the refills. So went to the dealer got them for $17 a piece... Not bad cheaper than if I got them online.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
zanakas said:
One nice thing about the "factory" refills is they include the little plastic end caps (all 4), so you don't have to be quite so nervous about breaking a tab....
Do you have the part #s?...my dealer only has the whole wiper...$20 for the driver's side.

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
I don't have the part numbers, sorry. I grabbed them at my local VW dealer, and threw them on there. I did a quick scan, and found nothing.
I would try another local dealer first (call around, maybe). If not,one of the reputable vendors on here (i am sure) can get them.

I used a TRICO (not-so) perfect-fit the last time, (parts america). No caps, and a REAL tough fit. They are on, though, and they work.

Mach1

TDI
I thought I needed a set, but I spent a little time cleaning the old ones and now the wipers dont streak..So, in a pinch you can clean the edge and get away a little longer before you replace them.