Windshield washer pump inop

nunce1

TDI
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
My washer pump has stopped working. I pull the wand and no sound like it used to make and of course no spray comes out. The wipers do come on after their normal pause (front and back). I’ve tried to research fuse and relay locations but have been unsuccessful. I thought I read somewhere that if the wipers come on it’s likely not the relay, that it’s the switch but now I can’t find where I read that. If it’s the switch, is that difficult to replace?

I was going to just have it fixed at a shop but the local place said there was some reason in their fault tree that I had to just bring it to VW though the guy said it was likely the switch. VW wants $155 just to diagnose and I have to leave the car for at least 3 days which doesn’t include the time to fix it so that’s a non-starter too. Help!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Can you take a look at the wiring? sadly i think the bumper may need to be pulled off to access the pump/housing.

nunce1

TDI
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
Is there any wiring that goes across the hatchback? The reason I ask that is I was trying to open the hatch from the inside when my battery died to get at my jumper cables and I tried using that panel that indicates (I thought) you could open the hatch by pulling on some kind of latch beneath that panel. But I think I ended up pulling on some wiring instead but didn’t think it affected anything. Is it possible there is wiring that goes through there affecting the pump?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why not see if the pump gets power and ground as needed? That would be the easiest thing, if OBD doesn't help (and in this case in may not, but you could always ask the BCM anyway).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
there's no wiring for the pump out back, i believe to spray the rear hatch, the pump is run in reverse and sent out via the line that heads out back.

nunce1

TDI
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
Why not see if the pump gets power and ground as needed? That would be the easiest thing, if OBD doesn't help (and in this case in may not, but you could always ask the BCM anyway).
So I borrowed a noid test light kit and used that to determine the wiring harness is indeed getting power. I believe that means it’s just a faulty pump. Looks like it would be pretty easy to swap out but are there any existing threads that say exactly how so I don’t miss any steps and make it harder on myself? Also does anyone know the part number off hand for a 2017 golf Alltrack washer pump?

nunce1

TDI
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
Actually I just swapped out the pumps. Found a video on YouTube. Super easy as you guys probably already know. Feels like a cheaper pump than the OEM part (got it at autozone and it’s made in China) but at least I know how to replace it if/when it breaks again.