Windshield trim removal

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
I'm having a little trouble removing the black plastic trim at the base of the windshield. I did slide off the clip in the center, but it did not seem to help. Could the trim be glued in when the windshield was replaced? Does anyone have some tips?
Thanks in advance.
Ernst

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
You need to pry the black button out of wiper arms with a small screwdriver. Then remove the nut from each arm and most likely will need a puller to pull the wiper arm off the splined/tapered mounting point. A battery terminal puller would most likely work fine. You also want to remove the cowl cover first. You just need to pull up on the weatherstripping that holds the cowl cover on and then pull the cowl cover towards the front of the car to remove it, it just slides into the trim piece you're trying to remove. This will then allow you to push up from the bottom of the trim piece you are trying to remove. Be careful, the plastic piece you are trying to remove is somewhat brittle from being exposed to the elements and can snap if you are not careful. (Ask me how I know):rolleyes: Just slowly pry it up from the bottom, the trim piece has a tonque that runs it's entire length that fits into a groove of another plastic piece that runs all the way across the entire bottom of the windshield. It will all make sense once you start doing it. Just be careful and I might even say do it in the sun so that trim piece you are trying to take off has a bit more flexibility.

Good luck

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
the trim piece has a tongue that runs its entire length that fits into a groove of another plastic piece that runs all the way across the entire bottom of the windshield.”
Is the groove you are referring to…is it perpendicular to the windshield?

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you guys so much for the help. I used a wooden paint stirrer and did as you suggested…start from one end. I now have the larger battery in place and new plastic cowl. However, where does the non-fitting end of the battery vent tube go? I must have pulled it out of whatever hole it sticks into when I was struggling to get the 6 year old battery out.