Windshield squirters..no worky.

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat GLS Wagon, Silverstone
I noticed today back from Turkey Day my squirters (windshield washers) are not working. At first, I thought I just forgot how to operate them, since my wife primarily drives the car, but she told me how and I had her confirm via the manual. Do you think it's a fuse? Where? I checked the fluid a week ago and it was nearly full.

Also, my wipers were doing the infamous dance across the windshield, so they also need replaced. Boy was that irritating. TIA.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
For new blades, go to auto zone and pick up the Valuecraft trim to fit inserts. They fit perfect into the Aero blades, and don't chatter like the Tripple edge ones.

Here is how to get the blades apart.

When I got the tripple edge blades for dad, they had changed the design, the space betweeen the lip and the blade was longer, and the whole thing folded over on itself.
But the valuecraft inserts work great, and are inexpensive too!

When you pull the stalk, can you hear the pump running? Have someone stand in front with the hood open while the stalk is pulled.

-J

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info on the blades. Well, this a.m. I went out to double check the fluid, yes it was empty---maybe I was looking at the coolant before(the temp.marking looks like a wiper at first glance). LOL.:eek:

Anyway, I pulled the wiper stalk and didn't hear anything initially, but I continued to pull and it resulted in a low honk, like the pump was working. I then noticed a liquid coming from the wheel well, dripping over the tire. So, it looks like I have a disconnect somewhere under the reservoir. I couldn't see where it was, but it looks pretty tight in that area, so maybe I should run it down to the dealer and have them hook it up. I poured a little washer fluid into it and it all ran out

I also noticed, for the first time, some of the black foam padding (insulation) had flaked off on the firewall---the wall between the coolant and brake fluid resevoirs---not sure what caused it. It's an area about 1.5 x 3", also another nickel-sized shape about a foot the left--strange.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
Compu 85, any part numbers for the Valuecraft trim at Autozone?

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
compu 85

Thanx!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Bear in mind that Impex sells refills. I bought a set of refill inserts and a set of Bosch Aero wiper blades. I am all set for two changes!

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
I definitely had, or have, a mouse in the eng. compartment. The dealership checked the squirter hoses and replaced the front under warranty, but the back one will cost me around $200 to replace. Apparently, they have to spend a couple hours to remove the power steering reservoir, etc. to get to it. I noticed some droppings near the dipstick too, to go along with some insulation missing. I'm going to pick up some of that sticky stuff to see if I can catch any remaining guest.

Also, since they remove the tire and wheel well to get to washer reservoir, I did a quick visual to see if they replace all the bolts and stuff...sure enough I noticed one missing right away. The service manager ran it back in, turns out they left two screws/bolts off. I think I'll definitely do my own 20K service. Kinda funny too, when I was talking to the tech about what needs to be done, I kinda hinted that things might not be the same after they fix the back hose, and he says, "oh no, everything will be the same." Sure, just missing a few nuts and bolts. LOL:eek:

Last edited:

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
The pump came on when I pulled the stalk. The vw tech said the hose that went to the back window had been chewed by a mouse and the connection to the fluid tank had came loose or was rubbed through somehow. It's fixed now, but I had to pay for the labor to fix the hose to the back window. There's obvious signs of a mouse being in there, along with the chewed insulation, I vacuumed up some droppings too.

I've had a sticky pad in there for two nights and so far no mouse--I think it's gone or just visits for lunch at my wife's work.

Last edited: