Window Tint: Ceramic vs. Non Ceramic

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Who knows a lot about window tinting?

I've never had a car with tinted windows before, but I want to get my Passat tinted. I have a line on a really good deal to get them done, however they state the tint they use is "non ceramic". Ceramic is available, however it is significantly more expensive.

What's the straight dope - is ceramic tint that much better? Is it better at all? Worth an almost 100% premium?

I would imagine that ceramic tint would hold out heat better, but I don't know of any other benefits or if that's even a benefit.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
Who knows a lot about window tinting?

I've never had a car with tinted windows before, but I want to get my Passat tinted.
I don't know about ceramic vs. normal, but I do know this: whichever one you choose, it is not a DIY project. Take it to a tint shop.

See cars around town with bubbles in the tint? They tried to save money by doing it themselves. They got what they paid for.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I have been tinting my cars since 1994. Mostly using non-ceramic and mirror (metallic) tint, until 2 years ago when I started to use ceramic. And there is a huge diff. in heat rejection IMHO. I'll spend the extra money to have ceramic in all my cars from now on.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Yes it is but I don't know if I'd pay the extra cost if I lived in Illinois.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Are there any results from proper independent testing? Not that I don't respect TypeRod's experience or opinions, but I am just curious to see the difference.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I haven't seen any testing other than the specs listed at some web sites. I have noticed a big difference when holding my hand behind and in front of the window though. You can feel the heat without the tint and not with it in place. It also protects the interior from fading and such.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
non ceramic are Dye & Metal based

Dye-based don't have the radio/GPS interference either.
Yes! There are basically 3 types of tint films. There are dye based films, metallic films and ceramic films.
-Dye based films are cheapest, but they have a bad habit of changing colors as they age (ever seen an older car with purple windows?).
-Metallic films have much better heat rejection and they don't change color. However, metallic films can attenuate radio signals. Sometimes this can be bad enough to cause problems with GPS units and any other kind of radio that does not have an outside antenna.
-Ceramic (or nano-ceramic) films are the most expensive because they are generally considered the best. They have excellent heat rejection, excellent color stability, and they do not attenuate RF signals.

I would recommend sticking with a well known tint film manufacturer like 3M, HuperOptiks, Llumar, etc. However, what is just as important as the film you choose is the installer you choose. A good film badly installed can also be bad news. Also, keep in mind that what tint is legal varies a lot from state to state. This could be important if you think you might be moving.

Have Fun!

Don

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Speaking of tint and local laws/regulations. As somebody who's had tint a long time now. I average one stop in 5-6 months. Just so that you're aware.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Trust me, you will want ceramic window tinting.

When I bought my car, I convinced my dealer to pay to have my car's windows tinted with my choice of tint and installer as part of the reparations for mistake during the process of shipping me the Passat I had originally ordered. So, I took my car to Tint World the weekend finally I received my vehicle and picked their Ultimate TOL tint package. It included their premium "Sun Tek" ceramic tinting and a lifetime warranty against any sort of scratching, fading, peeling, bubbling, chipping, or any other damage. I chose to have 35% (Texas legal limit for front side windows) installed on my front two windows, and 18% (Texas has no regulations for any of the rearward windows) installed on the rear side windows and rear window. They even perfectly cut out the section to keep the third rear brake light exposed per my request.

So far I have been quite impressed! The franchisers were extremely friendly and easy to deal with, and performed a very professional and precise installation of my tinting with no imperfections. The ceramic tinting performs excellently at rejecting heat from my car and keeping it surprisingly cool, although I imagine the white/cornsilk combination helps keep the temps down too. Visibility is great from the inside, and I never feel like I'm blinded out of any of the windows even at night, including the rear window, yet I don't feel like I'm bathing in sun all day long either. Lastly, the privacy is surprisingly effective as well. Although my ceramic tinting is easy to see out of from the inside, it seems it is harder to see into the car from the outside. I also feel that the dark windows contrast very well with my white Passat. The picture in my signature doesn't exactly do it justice, so I'll try to post a better one in the sunlight tomorrow.

Basically, I'm very pleased with my ceramic tinting, and am glad it should be problem free for as long as I have the car. My Volvo 850's dye-based tinting, on the other hand, hasn't fared so well over the 18 years that car has spent here in the southwest. I have no clue who installed it or what it is, and sadly it has turned purple. :(

Good luck choosing the right tint!

TurboDieselPoint

Last edited:

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
What's a good price for a 5 window tint job on a Passat with quality film? What are people paying to have this done?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^my question, as well. I'll be having it done in Ft. Worth. I'll see if Tint World has a franchise nearby. Thanks for the clear post, TurboDieselPoint

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I didn't spring for ceramic tint in my car, and I had 7 windows tinted. All 4 doors, the back window and the small windows behind the backdoors. All in all, it was about $200.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
Thanks, I just got a quote from a reputable local guy for $240 metallic or $320 ceramic. Seems like it's right in the ballpark.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Another vote here for ceramic especially if controlling interior heat is important. I have Huper Optik installed myself ($380 + tax). I have a Black interior - something that might be considered insane to do here in South Texas. Ceramic tint makes color irrelevant with respect to heat absorption. On the hottest days here (100+) the interior never gets "hot" - just warm. No fear of getting 2nd degree burns from bare skin touching black leather.

And for those in hot climates reading this and wanting to control heat as much as possible, here's a few extra tips:

1. Always put a reflective sunshade in the windshield while parked

2. Never park where the windshield faces the sun.

3. If you have a sunroof, get that tinted as well. And keep the shade closed.

Most of the heat coming in comes in thru the windshield and sunroof (if its not tinted).

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
We have cereamic on the Passat and non cereamic on the Jetta. The Passat stays cooler. It was ~$250 for both (and well worth it).

-J

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
We have cereamic on the Passat and non cereamic on the Jetta. The Passat stays cooler. It was ~$250 for both (and well worth it).

-J
Very true regarding heat rejection of ceramic vs. non ceramic! I forgot to mention that my white exterior/tan interior Passat with ceramic tinting stays noticeably cooler than my very similar white exterior/tan interior Volvo equipped with the non-ceramic tinting. The difference in heat rejection from the ceramic technology compared to non-ceramic is quite substantial and makes the tinting more than worth it for that factor alone, not including the other previously mentioned advantages of the ceramic.

Last edited:

chmod

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I had mine done with Huper Optik ceramic tint. Very good in the Texas heat. Works very well and I am very happy with it.
http://huperoptikusa.com/
Not as dark as it seems from the inside:
+ for Huper Opik products. I've installed it on my cars and also my floor to ceiling west facing windows.
The ceramic does not block mobile phone signals (the others do big time) and also, prevents the glass from exploding on you if something nasty happens.
Highly recommended.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I really like the ceramic tint we got in our Passat. It's 35% front and back and measures a real 33% with a police tint meter (thanks to my cops at work for humoring me with a tint check to see what it really was). The difference in heat rejection between it and the Jetta is amazing, although the Jetta is 50% front and 35% rear, which is the VA limit.

Gonzo0324

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof

I got the Huper Optik Select, also known as Drei installed recently. It's the best at heat reduction using the latest technology. It's pricey though and the tint wasn't as dark but has kind of a mirror finish to it. I'm happy with it. It's just started getting warm here in Tn and I can definitely tell a difference. Can go somewhere with the AC running and get out for an hour so, get back in and it's still cool inside. Crazy stuff.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've never had any sort of reception issue with the ceramic tint.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I think the difference is the quality of the film. If you go to Walmart, buy a roll and try to put it on yourself it will probably turn purple and have tons of air bubbles. If you go to a tint shop and they put the tint on, it's likely never going to turn purple. Unless that tint shop does the whole job for like $75.