Window only moves partial way for each button press

Camel413

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagen Totaled, 95 Passat GLX future conversion, 98 Jetta TDI Black, 98 Jetta TDI Blue
I know we as B4 owners are plagued with window issues. I did a search but didnt see anything that matched with what I am experiencing.

My front driver side window is acting up, or down however you look at it. Basically each time you press the switch it will only move the window about 2-3". You can let off the switch and press it again which will move the window another 2-3". This continues until the window is either all the way up or all the way down.

Is this an issue with the motor? or the control board for the motor?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Does it seem like it's binding? My bet is one of the window track guides (or whatever they're called) is broken or missing. Is it an aftermarket regulator? The new ones are flimsy and not as well made, so it may be binding in the window tracks.

Camel413

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagen Totaled, 95 Passat GLX future conversion, 98 Jetta TDI Black, 98 Jetta TDI Blue
I haven’t tried a different switch yet, will try that and report back.
Abacus it doesn’t seem to bind at all. It goes up and down smooth besides stopping every 3”. As far as I know it’s oem in the door. I will double check all looks and feels normal inside the door.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
It could be the window’s auto-up and auto-down feature that is not programmed correctly.
Use the switch to get the window to the full down location, then press and hold the switch down for about 5 seconds. This should reteach the auto-down feature.
Do similar for the auto-up…
Use the switch to get the window to the full up location, then pull and hold the switch up for about 5 seconds. This should reteach the auto-up feature.
I know this works for MK4s… not sure about B4s.
Hope this works for you

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I haven’t tried a different switch yet, will try that and report back.
Abacus it doesn’t seem to bind at all. It goes up and down smooth besides stopping every 3”. As far as I know it’s oem in the door. I will double check all looks and feels normal inside the door.
I vote for cleaning the switch....but that will only be confirmed if you substitute another switch and find the problem resolved. Don't remember if you can swap in another switch for the driver door or not.

Steve

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I know we as B4 owners are plagued with window issues. I did a search but didnt see anything that matched with what I am experiencing.

My front driver side window is acting up, or down however you look at it. Basically each time you press the switch it will only move the window about 2-3". You can let off the switch and press it again which will move the window another 2-3". This continues until the window is either all the way up or all the way down.

Is this an issue with the motor? or the control board for the motor?
Does the window move normally up and down when using the key in the door latch?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Camel, Does the window start down (even if only a few inches) after it moves up the few inches and stops moving up?
The down movement motor power is cut when the window regulator bottoms out on the 'big-blue-egg' shaped plastic disk in the regulator arm's "X". This stalls the motor, and raises the amperage to above a circuit break limit. The breaker is not adjustable and is part of the control circuit board.
The up movement motor power is similarly cut by a circuit break when the glass upward movement is stopped and the motor stalls. The difference is that the 'pinch protection' feature starts the window motor back down if the up movement stalls before full up is reached.
If the up operation moves the glass just a bit, and then starts back down (regardless of distance moved up), I'd suspect you have sticky actuator movement and are reaching the stall limit of the motor current.
If the up operation does not attempt reversal, and you can, with repeated up actuation, eventually close the window without ANY 'pinch protection' down movement, I'd suspect a different component on the control board.
Either way, the control board is my top suspect. Clean the glass tracks, assure the glass remains parallel (doesn't tip) relative to the tracks during up and down, and the glides under the glass (see image in post #3) aren't loaded with grit (and that the screw missing in that image is installed). If that doesn't work, locate a replacement window control board.