Wilmington, NC area warning

carolinagolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 White
I realize that one bad experience shouldn't be used to brand someone but there has been enough repeat performance to warrant me posting this warning. Please do not take your car to Bob King in Wilmington for service. I personally have had work reported done but not performed: 20K fuel filter replacement, cabin filter replacement, 60K TB replacement timing set (refused to use 80K components, timing left off chart high, intercooler pipe blown off due to improper reconnect, stretch bolts not replaced, wires cut/spliced, lock down tools not used/one tooth off at 120K). The final straw was when a friend recently had the TB done on an '03 with 90K (no he didn't consult me first :( ) and two weeks later the engine disintegrated. Dealer says the water pump gear came apart(anyone else have the gear come apart?). They didn't replace the water pump nor did they key the novice owner in on the need to have this done. Apparently it is a big no-no from VWoA for them not to strongly counsel the owner on this basically required maintenance because when the district customer rep called the dealer (dealer refused to admit any fault) they told the rep that they had told the customer. They didn't. He rolled over on every other thing the dealer recommended and had it done. The car's owner is a bit naive but not a miser by any means and would have had the WP replaced if told about it. The pain that this individual is going through in cost and distress because of the dealer's apathy/negligence should not be repeated by anyone. There are other options in the area to have the work done competently.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
carolinagolf said:
(snip) Please do not take your car to Bob King in Wilmington for service. (snip)
__. That's my experience, too. It's sad but there it is.

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
Sorry to hear about the experiences. I bought my '01 from Bob King, 200 mile round trip, but luckily never went back for service :) .

I'm in the market for an '08, but guess I won't be shopping there.

Brubaker below Atlanta did my 60K belt while I watched, everything else I do :D .

John C

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
eek!!

If that is the only VW dealer in Wilmington then that is where my jetta came from. Dealer in greenville got it for me from there. When i took it out for a test drive before taking owenr ship of it i discovered the turn signils didn't work. The sales guy in the car was in disbelieve even though he ws the one that went to get it. They were doing some car swaping with them is what they said.

Anyway, 1 minute sitting in the parking lot at the dealer while he went to go get the manager or service rep or someone, my friend and i poped the fuse box cover and pulled the turn signal fuse and bent it a little and poped it back in. Has worked fine 47k+ miles now.

There was also a PDI item they aparently didn't do that the place in Greenville had to do later. Corse they could have ran it through their little PDI check list too but......

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
The real issue in south eastern NC & north eastern SC is we only have like 3 or 4 VW dealers in a 200 + mile radius ( Florence SC , Greenville & Wilmington NC ) . If there are any others in that area I don't know them , maybe Jacksonville ???? .

Parts , service & car sales are all an issue in that part of both states .

You should try to get parts for a late 80s or early 90s VW diesel down there . You get used to hearing I can have that part in 3 days and it is going to cost an extra $50 :eek: . If you are willing to wait at least a week or so we can drop the $50 surcharge .

I've just learned to carry any parts ( fuel filters , braded diesel fuel lines , any VWAG specialty part that is prone to need replacement ) that my car might require while at the beach in the trunk in my tool box .

It would really suck to have to live down there year round and be at their mercy .

I thought I'd add you aren't the only region of the US like this . Western Nebraska & Kansas along with eastern Colorado and almost all of Wyoming ( Casper has a dealer )have the same issues with thier VWs .

Many times the VWdubs in these areas have go all the way to Denver to get service on their TDIs . At least there are 5 dealers in the Denver area & 3 in the Colorado Springs & Pueblo area .

Last edited:

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Although it is a long drive from wilmington there is a good mechanic at the Burlington, NC dealership. I had 1 motor mount stretch bolt break, and two back out because VW of South Charlotte reused the originals and reinserted them with a impact gun!! I know this because I took it all apart and the heads were rounded off from using a impact gun with a extension at an angle. From talking with the tech at burlington he was the least full of B.S. as any tech I have talked to. There used to be a list of trusted mechanics and burlington was on the list.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
rotarykid said:
The real issue in south eastern NC & north eastern SC is we only have like 3 or 4 VW dealers in a 200 + mile radius ( Florence SC , Greenville & Wilmington NC ) . If there are any others in that area I don't know them , maybe Jacksonville ???? .

Parts , service & car sales are all an issue in that part of both states .
(snip)
__. There's Frema in Goldsboro (I've heard reasonably good things about them) and (I think) National in Jacksonville NC. The general ethic in J'ville in the auto industry is to rip off the Marines since they're going to be shipped out soon anyway so I don't have any expectation of National but I don't have any direct info.

__. But, in general, you're right; it's a pretty desperate place.

PDeezul

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI ,GLS, Reflex Silver/Anthracite Leather
There's East Coast VW in Myrtle Beach too...they are pretty decent. My buddy had his 03 NB TB done there and he was treated fairly with the job done well. We purchased our '04 Passat from them and we were treated very well also.
I have dealt with Bob King on one issue with the Passat and I must say I was less than impressed with their troubleshooting skills. In my opinion, they are only in the business to make money, at whatever cost it is to their customers.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
PDeezul said:
There's East Coast VW in Myrtle Beach too...they are pretty decent. My buddy had his 03 NB TB done there and he was treated fairly with the job done well. We purchased our '04 Passat from them and we were treated very well also.
I have dealt with Bob King on one issue with the Passat and I must say I was less than impressed with their troubleshooting skills. In my opinion, they are only in the business to make money, at whatever cost it is to their customers.
Where is east coast VW located N MB , MB or any of the other MB area communities ????, is it a VW dealer that sells new VW cars ??? How long have they been there ??

I spend much time in the Southport area last I checked the closest VW dealer in SC was in Charleston so I have to use Bob King VW when I need a dealer only part .