Will you turn in your tuned CR if VW offers buybacks?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
That is most of my question.. when the CR170 turbo got put on, the CR140 and the front two catalysts got sold.

My gut is telling me they won't even buy it back with the big turbo and aftermarket down/midpipe.. simply hooking up their diagnostic tool will tell them that the ECU doesn't have the stock tune either.

So.. any speculation? People thinking they won't let vehicles come back with non-compliant emissions equipment?

I'm not sure either. It would suck to have to reinstall everything and make it run on the stock tune. My 2nd oem turbo is damaged so I'd have to get a turbine wheel and compressor wheel since vw left fod in the intake when replacing the first turbo at 20k. I feel like I would probably run into failed oem parts also and it would cost more $ to go back to stock. I've thought about rolling the dice and reinstalling the damaged turbo to hand it back. Or drilling a hole in the intake elbow in front of my cr170 and rtv the egr pipe in lol. Idk if they'd have any recourse after the sale if they found it. Depends on the terms of buyback. If VIN = X amount of cash regardless or if check engine lights / mods matter. But my argument would be so VW's cheating is somehow more legal than my cheating?? Over the limit is over the limit. It doesn't pass emissions either way. I'm hoping they give best rate for each model without consideration for mileage / mods and condition. I think when under warranty they can make you play by the rules but now you have something that they want and they'll have to answer for the cars that they can't get back. Hopefully anyway. And if the epa was smart, they'd want to pressure vw to get all the cars off the road especially ours since they're the worst offenders.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Despite the speculation, I'm seriously doubting they'll take back our modded cars. Even though we don't have any CELs with our Stage 2/3/3.5 tunes (particular the DPF delete tunes), aren't some of the readiness flags deleted in software? As for a visual inspection, I would think that someone at the dealer would have to be an idiot to not tell the DPF is gone. Plus, I would've figured the majority of those who did DPF deletes/tunes planned on keeping the car more for the long term, anyways. I'd been wanting the DPF delete gone and a better tune for years, but couldn't justify the cost until the DPF died on me a second time (despite other pre-existing mods, like a fully changed suspension).

The other thing that I'm wondering about is if any major depreciation will be accounted for through what VW calls "excessive mileage," diesel or not.

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
The conditions of the buy back aren't VW's to decide, that's up to the regulators. VW can negotiate with them but I doubt the EPA/CARB would accept leaving a bunch of deleted TDIs on the road if it's brought to their attention. I'm not sure it will even be mentioned, as popular as those mods are on this forum only a tiny percentage of cars on the road are deleted.

Wait and see I suppose.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I am thinking that any future payment disbursements will follow form to the goodwill credits we received. show up to verify ownership/ ID check and walk.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
This is what has me worried.. I deleted HP EGR, LP EGR & cooler, along with the DPF & first cat, Pressure differential sensors, etc. It was A LOT of work to get the HP EGR pipe out. I kept most of the stuff and it'll be possible (if not easy or cheap, but worth it financially) to source a turbo & front cat.. but I hope I have all the little accessory parts for the LP EGR cooler.

I even have 2micron's HPFP protection kit installed.. guess I'd have to rip that off too.

Then we get into the fact that the tailpipe will be VERY dirty compared to a car with a working DPF. How picky are they gonna get?

Readiness checks or not I'm pretty sure their software will be able to detect a tune of any kind. Hell, we don't have a way to reinstall the security bolts on the ECU do we? Will/can the original tuner even put our cars back to completely stock tune?

If you want to get down to minutia it'll be pretty easy to tell our cars have been tampered with unless we are extremely OCD about how we do the back-to-stock. I think it'll have a lot to do with what VWs plans are for the bought-back vehicles.. crush or re-engine them? I don't think it'll be such a huge deal.

It actually just occurred to me that a cracked DPF would probably be fine for us, if the goal is just to get the car into a condition VW will buy them back. "needing repair" shouldn't be a disqualifier.

Should we consider this thread a good place to get latest into on the topic? or start a new one where we can edit the first post as info comes out? I'm not expecting anything definitive til Jun21

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I'll keep mine. And as far as the deleted cars, VW has no responsibility to add back missing emissions parts that they did not remove. And of course you will be exposing yourself to the realities of emissions tampering. Best for all if we keep the cars and get emissions waivers or similar. Also, there are a lot of cars that have been totalled. SO these are out of the pool. Another thing is that while a fix applies to all remaining non salvage cars, the payout only goes to registered owners. So any owned by dealers or people with unregistered cars dont get a payout. Each of these scenarios raises the remaining purse for the overall group. I dont feel I have lost anything. I never had any intention of selling my cars off in the near future. Anything VW gives is simply a bonus for myself. I understand that I bought cars. Not Monet's or ancient Egyptian artifacts. Cars lose value in terms of money all the time due to many factors. Their true value is as transportation. And my cars run and drive just fine. If a fix reduces mileage, that can be dealt with.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Then we get into the fact that the tailpipe will be VERY dirty compared to a car with a working DPF. How picky are they gonna get?
This is easy. Just tell them you cracked your DPF and then replaced it with a junkyard part. Assuming you return a functioning DPF to service, how would they ever know you weren't telling the truth? "Yeah, I had to replace the DPF a year ago and didn't clean out my tailpipe after fixing it..." Or just clean out the tailpipe the day before you take it in. :cool:

If you want to get down to minutia it'll be pretty easy to tell our cars have been tampered with unless we are extremely OCD about how we do the back-to-stock.
I limited my tuning choices to items that are completely reversible. I didn't make a move toward deletes or exhaust (yet). So I'm sitting pretty as far as returning to stock goes... with the exception of the hole that's cut in my trunk lid for a ham radio antenna. I'll fix that with a color-matched plug. :eek:

Scott

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I don't think the latest news affect my position because of the lack of details. If I read correctly we will likely not have any details until mid July. At this point I can say that I would consider the buy back...but until the details are laid out I am planning to keep the car until the wheels fall off.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
I will definitely turn mine in given the chance. From an economical standpoint I'm upside down with it quite a bit. VW is willing to fork out the difference but to the rest of the world, I still owe much more than what the car is worth. Maybe if I was closer to paying it off I would just take the money and keep it.

If the rumors of a buyback + $5k are true, I'm hoping I can just walk away from it, even if I don't end up with cash in my pocket after the fact.

I'm still undecided if I'm sticking with the brand. I did enjoy owning a diesel but I need/want a truck now.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Should we consider this thread a good place to get latest into on the topic? or start a new one where we can edit the first post as info comes out? I'm not expecting anything definitive til Jun21
Technically, I can edit the first post, but the point of this thread was to discuss what those with tuned/modded CR TDIs would choose if VW does buybacks (or a fix), not to simply recreate threadzilla. Besides, I believe there is a sticky in the emissions subforum with the latest details as they are released.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Yes, I'd sell mine back, but ultimately it depends on the questions I raised.

Agreed on threadzilla. Thing is, our questions don't apply to the vast majority of people posting elsewhere. Not that this is the place either.. but we can deal with that when we have more definitive info.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
...And as far as the deleted cars, VW has no responsibility to add back missing emissions parts that they did not remove. And of course you will be exposing yourself to the realities of emissions tampering...
I get that they have no responsibility, the question is whether they will even care. On a vehicle they just plan to crush it may not matter.

No emissions testing here.. and while that doesn't technically make deletes/tampering legal, I seriously doubt turning a car in with those tweaks will open me to any real trouble.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
You all hit the lottery here . You got $1000 to sit and wait Now you will get Top dollar for your car plus $5000. They will base it on mileage a cross the board.
If you keep it they will most likely pull every thing from the turbo back and up grade and add a few thing.
You will get it back a bit slower.
You will get $5000 plus a small kick back for the lost power/MPG I would think in $2000+ number.
No one got killed here from the tail pipe!!
No air bag going off and shooting metal in to your chest!!
No gas accelerator sticking to the floor and driving into a tree!!
No gas tank ripping open from a side or back end crash and burning you to death!!
They never paid and one that owned one of the above cars and money unless some one died and it took years!
The ones that go back will most likely be send to a country that has no real emission program and some will just go to the crusher . Just like when we bailed out the car makers here in the USA.
When they lay out the plan they will say some thing about DPF being deleted. They know what we do here.
I would think if you had them buy it back and it had the DPF missing they would look at it and back out $2000.
If you had it fixed and the DPF is gone and they do as I think upgrading from the turbo back. and flash a new slow pock tune. If any sensor or check engine light come on it would be on your dime.
The problem now is all the cars with cracked DPF and check engine lights on!
You still will need to pass your emission test for the next few years, yes it will take years to fix all the cars here in the USA.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
My 13 JSW turned 94K today. It has been Malone Stage 2 tuned and deleted since 45K. That being said I have all the stuff to put it back to stock hardware wise and I will continue to drive and smile till a determination is made. If the offer is sweet enough, I will put all the deleted hardware back on it, remove all my other mods (wheels, side markers, underseat drawer, etc) and promptly take it wherever I need to and drop it off. That being said, I still have a loan on it so the offer will have to be REALLY generous to make me consider it. I don't think with the sheer number of cars to be accounted for I will have to be in any hurry and at the rate of my travel I will be at the 130K TB change before we know anything. I've got all the supplies to do all the maintenance on it till then (including DSG, thanks Dieselgate Dealer card). Since I drive mine for work and my reimbursement plan is based on the age of the vehicle, I will most likely be ready to trade by then anyway. Shame is I might not go TDI next time, if they are even available for sale then. My wife's TSI Passat gets close to 40 MPG on the highway so I might get a TSI GSW with a 6 speed and an extended warranty to cover the unknowns with that engine... My dealer is an APR tuner so I can get the 1.8T tuned right out of the gate and motor on.

Too many unknowns right now. Drive more, worry less is what I keep telling myself but I keep thinking about it...

Golf tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
On June 21 it will be written in stone,then we can decide what to do with options given.The deal I'm sure will work in our favor to keep us all happy ,keeping the car or buy back.Relax guys enjoy your cars,I certainly am.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Best case scenario for me: they give us some more $$$, I keep my stage 3 CR and pay off the last remaining loan payments on VW's dime :D

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
You all hit the lottery here . You got $1000 to sit and wait Now you will get Top dollar for your car plus $5000. They will base it on mileage a cross the board.
(edit)
No one got killed here from the tail pipe!!
No air bag going off and shooting metal in to your chest!!
No gas accelerator sticking to the floor and driving into a tree!!
No gas tank ripping open from a side or back end crash and burning you to death!!
They never paid and one that owned one of the above cars and money unless some one died and it took years!
(edit)
As much as I wish you were right about the airbag, I think my A3 along with
some other models have the dreaded Takata airbag.
VAG has yet to issue a recall but maybe they have a bigger distraction for now.
I am way more concerned about the airbag than the dieselgate issue!

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
I am watching to see how this will effect me. Technically my car isn't in Dieselgate, bu the engine I have going in is part of it since it came from a mk6 Golf TDI. I don't have any of the emissions crap to put on it as I never got it or cared for it. So going back to stock is not nor has it ever been an option for me. I am just curious if Minnesota an emission testing free state will require those of us in the state with cars in Dieselgate to show proof of "fix" or not.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
As much as I wish you were right about the airbag, I think my A3 along with
some other models have the dreaded Takata airbag.
VAG has yet to issue a recall but maybe they have a bigger distraction for now.
I am way more concerned about the airbag than the dieselgate issue!
I thought it was only the side airbags that were effected by the Takata recall...

After a bit of digging it looks like it may indeed be the steering wheel airbag:
https://www.cars.com/articles/takat...en-and-audi-recall-850000-cars-1420683421886/

I replaced my wheel with one from a scirocco and a airbag from a GTI (bought new from dealership last year). Doesn't look like I have much to worry about, though those that still have the stock wheel/airbag should be a tad worried :eek:

Louczar

TDI
2012 Jetta
Cant make any decision until I hear the final word of what VW will offer. My 2012 is just shy of 120K miles. Sadly enough, I have enough "other" minor issues happening to the car that make me lean towards letting them buy it back if that is an option....

IMO, I am not opposed in buying another VW if they provide a decent amount of additional $$$ if you buy another VW.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Cant make any decision until I hear the final word of what VW will offer. My 2012 is just shy of 120K miles. Sadly enough, I have enough "other" minor issues happening to the car that make me lean towards letting them buy it back if that is an option....

IMO, I am not opposed in buying another VW if they provide a decent amount of additional $$$ if you buy another VW.
I'm at about 65k miles now and like you, if VW offers incentive good enough I'd pick up a newer one for sure. Otherwise I have a few other ideas that I've been toying with. It really would be hard to go back to a sadan after having the utility of a hatchback though. Sucks even worse because there's this hate for small/medium sized cars with hatch backs for some crazy reason in the US (I want a real wagon or hatchback, not some silly crossover!). I'd love a B8 S4 Avant, but we didn't get those after the V8 version and that V8 is scarier then our TDI engine for maintenance issues. The SC V6 looks like a good engine from what I've read. Most of the common issues are minor compared to the HPFP failing.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
how many took the 1000$ from vw?
The Visa card paid for over 10K miles worth of fuel. The dealer card paid for oil, dsg fluid, some other parts and window tint, and I still have some money left over.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
how many took the 1000$ from vw?
Pretty much everyone here with any sense. The application deadline for the free money is this Saturday I believe. Not too late.

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
My wife's TSI Passat gets close to 40 MPG on the highway so I might get a TSI GSW with a 6 speed and an extended warranty to cover the unknowns with that engine... My dealer is an APR tuner so I can get the 1.8T tuned right out of the gate and motor on.
2.0T ?? And $5K will get you a long way with the 2.0T at APR :D

Charlie H

TDI
11' Golf TDI DSG
2011 golf tdi keep....definitely!

I will absolutely keep my 11' golf 348670 on the odometer. It has already had exhaust replaced not under warranty once. If VW will fix and replace exhaust and give me $5k to boot.....I would be a fool not to take thier money! I will just let them fix it tanke the money and save it till it needs the next exhaust which will come from "vw" of canada!! With a nice shiny finish of the 304 version. I will also be stopping by a Malone dealer.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
I am stg2 on my car with 145k. I'd hate to have to rip everything off just to get updated but that all depends on what it is. I am worried at the miles on my car they will want to buy it back. I also have a considerable amount of interior/exterior/suspension/etc mods that I would have to deal with taking back off of the car...

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
That is most of my question.. when the CR170 turbo got put on, the CR140 and the front two catalysts got sold.

My gut is telling me they won't even buy it back with the big turbo and aftermarket down/midpipe.. simply hooking up their diagnostic tool will tell them that the ECU doesn't have the stock tune either.

So.. any speculation? People thinking they won't let vehicles come back with non-compliant emissions equipment?
Possibly less the cost of returning it to stock?

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Possibly less the cost of returning it to stock?
Maybe, this all depends on the deal they reach with the regulators. If the deal is "offer to buy back ALL affected vehicles at Sept 2015 prices + $X in compensation" VW might not be able to reject the buyback of modified vehicles. This buyback is not up to VW's discretion, they're settling with the government to avoid a trial, I'm not sure they get to be picky about what the terms are.

Maybe they'll have terms in the settlement regarding modified vehicles, maybe they won't, we won't know until the details become public.