Will you turn in your tuned CR if VW offers buybacks?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just curious if anyone is planning on turning in their MODDED/TUNED CR TDI if VW does buybacks...

Or, if anyone plans to get the fix (to get the $5000), and then reinstall their tune/emissions/etc mods.

I should preface that as of this post, I have 162K on my '10, and love the way it drives. My ultimate goal was to get to at least 450K (or more). With that said, I have no desires myself to get rid of it.

Again, the purpose of this thread is trying to find out what those with modded CR TDIs would do. If your CR TDI is bone stock, this thread does not apply to you (there's other threads for that). Other disclaimers - this is not intended as a source for official information - there are stickies for that.

Last edited:

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
It's kind of hard to say at this point since we don't have any specifics about what the fix or buyback is going to be.

If it's what the rumor is, KBB pre-scandal prices + $5k, that's an awfully enticing offer, especially if VW will offer sweetheart deals on new VW's to keep people in the brand. I'm not angry at VW, depending on the deal a new Performance Pack GTI or Golf R would make me quite happy.

If you can get the compensation without fixing or selling the car, then it's tempting to just take the $5k and drive the thing till the wheels fall off, assuming you'll still be able to register the car.

At this point though it's impossible to make a decision since there's still too many details the general public doesn't have yet and most likely won't have until at least July.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
No to #1 as I have no mods yet.
Maybe to #2 if the fix is even possible to an A3. It is a tight package and not a lot
of room for a DEF tank. I'd start with a tune that kept the 'fix' intact for now... ;)

Last edited:

GearGuy2014

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I really like my TDI, about the only thing I would consider switching to is a used A6 (with the 3.0 TDI, I just cant afford brand new) or possibly a BMW 335d.

Although like everyone else said I will have to see the details of the buyback/fix compensation. If we have 2 years it might be worth waiting for a bit to see how it plays out.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My brother brought up a VERY interesting possibility....

If Vw buys the car back at the pre-scandal price plus extra, turn around and buy a HEAVILY DISCOUNTED 15 TDI. They will have to seriously discount the 15's if they want to sell them.

If that plan can't come to fruition, I will keep it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
My brother brought up a VERY interesting possibility....

If Vw buys the car back at the pre-scandal price plus extra, turn around and buy a HEAVILY DISCOUNTED 15 TDI. They will have to seriously discount the 15's if they want to sell them.

If that plan can't come to fruition, I will keep it.
It is an interesting idea, but are the '15s tuneable? I thought I read somewhere that the 15s had problems flashing through OBD2, but I could be mistaken. And since they use DEF, that seems like a PITA, unless one would always have a container of DEF to fill up on road trips (as I drive a lot each year). Personally, I'm very happy with my car and it's served me well for the past 163K.

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
I bet VW hopes to recoup some of the money given for buybacks through selling new gas cars to people. Will be interesting to see what kind of marketing they come up with to us.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
It is an interesting idea, but are the '15s tuneable? I thought I read somewhere that the 15s had problems flashing through OBD2, but I could be mistaken. And since they use DEF, that seems like a PITA, unless one would always have a container of DEF to fill up on road trips (as I drive a lot each year). Personally, I'm very happy with my car and it's served me well for the past 163K.
'15s are deletable and tuneable through the OBD port! And if not deleted, the current usage (assuming a fix on the EA288 would be an increase in usage) amount of DEF is less than 3 gallons every 10k miles so you don't need to keep some in the trunk just in case. Plus you can find it cheap at truck stops and fill up easily.

And I hope they don't require a fix to get any extra cash, but I'd at least get it for the wife's wagon as I do not find the task of installing the stock equipment a fun one...it was fun enough getting it out of there.

Last edited:

Tmmpsych

TDI
Jetta Sportswagon
My husband and I really love our JettaWagon TDI, but we are afraid everything we love about it will change after the 'fix' is done. We are actually considering the buyback option if it's a sweet deal. It's a 2013 and we bought an extended warranty. Makes me sad to maybe get rid of my car, but I don't want it if it's going to be sluggish or be a pain to maintain. Might even have to be an even trade on something because I sure don't want a car payment that I don't have now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just some quick math tells me the billion dollars supposed to be on the table will no be as much as you think.

There are 500,000 problem cars in round numbers. Take 1,000,000,000 and divide by 500.000 and you get $2000 per car. Oldest cars suffer less economic damage than newer cars. So old cars get less $$$, newer cars get more $$$.

Lesson there: You guys are counting chickens you hope hatch.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Just some quick math tells me the billion dollars supposed to be on the table will no be as much as you think.

There are 500,000 problem cars in round numbers. Take 1,000,000,000 and divide by 500.000 and you get $2000 per car. Oldest cars suffer less economic damage than newer cars. So old cars get less $$$, newer cars get more $$$.

Again... details at this point are null until June 21st. We don't know for sure how much they are putting on the table for the buyback & fix. $1B is just one of a few things I've heard. I also heard $10B and $18B during the leak this past week prior to the court date this past week.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
'15s are deletable and tuneable through the OBD port!
Very nice. Unfortunately, they're too new for me to afford one right now, with all the other expenditures I have lined up for the year.

I do not find the task of installing the stock equipment a fun one...it was fun enough getting it out of there.
That makes two of us. I kept all my removed stock equipment just in case, but I really don't want to ever see it used again on my car.

Again... details at this point are null until June 21st.
Understood, but remember - the title of my post says if VW offers buybacks. Didn't state with certainty they are, but if. Also, this is supposed to be an alternative to threadzilla, since those of us with performance mods seem to have different feelings usually than the "regular user" TDI crowd.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Like most I'm gonna wait until I know the details to make a decision. But right now I love the car and have no desire to part with it. If VW gives owners compensation to keep the car but requires the "fix" being performed I'll see if my buddy who works at a VW dealer can simply place the parts in the boot and call it fixed. The parts were technically put in the car - right ;)? If he can't, oh well. The car still works just like it did before Sept, I don't need the money, and I'm not sure if they would even touch the car given my Rawtek setup.

If I decide to keep the car (most likely scenario) I'll probably head back to GDM and have the CP3 conversion and the CR170 turbo kit, and Malone stage 3 software installed. Along with my Rawtek turbo-back exhaust the car should be good to go for several hundred thousand more miles. I trust the local dealer to do the routine maintence and there's enough guru's around that I shouldn't have any problems keeping the car going long into the future.

digduggy

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2011 Golf TDI

I had read the extra billion is on top of the 7-8 they already put aside... I cannot dig up source, and may be bogus, but its floating around out there...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A

If it can be programmed, it can be reprogrammed.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Understood, but remember - the title of my post says if VW offers buybacks. Didn't state with certainty they are, but if. Also, this is supposed to be an alternative to threadzilla, since those of us with performance mods seem to have different feelings usually than the "regular user" TDI crowd.
I was directing my post more twards "john.jackson9213" than this thread as a whole.

As to this thread's subject... I was just a day or two away from payment on the tune the day dieselgate hit news stands. Plans were put on hold until this whole thing is cleared up. I do have a few mods on the car, mostly aesthetic, though the DG sigma 6 is one of my favorite mods so far followed by the solid APR shifter mount.

I really would like to keep the car and mod it to a stage 2 tune.

But if the buyback offer is good enough to upgrade vs keep the car I might get my car back to stock jump the tdi ship to a mk6 Golf R, mk7 GTI or a Mk7 gsw.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
For me...

Best scenario: VW's fix is not approved by the EPA, we're allowed to keep our cars (including not being blocked to register in our states) while VW "compensates" the environment, and we receive $$$$$ to say "Sorry!" More mods!

Ideal scenario: VW "fixes" the cars and gives us $$$$$ to say "Sorry." Said money goes to re-mods and more mods! :D This is "ideal" because it's a decent compromise in the big picture, but not "best" because we still don't know how VW will "fix" our cars without sacrificing the attributes that we all love about them. I don't believe they can be fixed without impacting MPGs or longevity.

Not as good, but I'll take it: VW buys back my TDIs and compensates me for lost value. I'd probably jump to a GTI or GLI. The GTI has more torque in stock form, but the GLI comes with the Fender sound system without bumping up to the more expensive trim levels.

The wife will be heartbroken if a buyback is thrust upon us because it's almost impossible to find a new Jetta or Passat with both a sunroof and a manual transmission without going to a GLI. It appears the manual transmissions are only available without the sunroof and only with cloth interior. She won't go for the Jetta Sport because the two-tone seats are hideous. Not sure how she feels about cloth. We like the leatherette. :( A Golf is out of the question for her.

AGAIN - The best scenarios involve us being able to keep our cars! Time will tell. I'm subscribed to the Dieselgate Info & FAQ thread and look forward to real updates.

Scott

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Depends on a lot of things. For the current offer of fmv plus 5k it would be a very difficult decision. If they ding me big for high mileage (100k) then probably a no. I've spent a ton on mods but almost all due to needed repairs. I'm almost done doing the majority of my high mile driving so I'm considering just giving it to them and not buying another car right away since I have others although they both get 10-12 mpg and are old. It's hard to give up the car now that it's over half paid for with another 7k in parts put into it. But if I keep it I'll be making the decision to keep it until the scrapyard as it will have no value to most people. Also engine parts availability sucks already and will only get worse. Parts are expensive and always a few days out and I hate the stealership. Hard to say whether I should cut my losses. I'm buying a house so taking on more debt to buy another new car isn't an option. This one was supposed to last a long time and I bought new so I had a known good history. I don't want an equivalent used car with unknown history that I need a loan on. Ive considered buying an 03 or 04 mustang GT with the buyback cash. Also if I keep it and emissions testing shows back up here then I'll really be screwed. But I was really looking forward to 200k more trouble free miles since I've fixed all of the vw shortcomings with mods. So it will depend on the offer and it'll have to be a darn good one

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Too early to say what I might do. It will be interesting to see what VWOA's position on buying back or "fixing" modified/deleted tdi's is. I'd hate to have to put all the stock crap back on.

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Too early to say what I might do. It will be interesting to see what VWOA's position on buying back or "fixing" modified/deleted tdi's is. I'd hate to have to put all the stock crap back on.
Yeah, that is going to be interesting. If the point is to get them off the road I don't see why deleted ones would be excluded from a buyback, if anything those are the cars that they'd be happiest to not have driving around anymore. I'm also wondering how thoroughly they're going to inspect the cars getting bought back, if the end result is that the car is getting crushed then they might not spend the time to even check.

As for fixing deleted ones, I suppose that depends on whether they have to replace the stock exhaust equipment or not. If they've gotta replace it all anyways then it shouldn't matter to them whats on the car when you bring it in.

Byrdmouse

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
It would still depend on the deal they're going to offer, but it wouldn't take much to get me to turn in my 2011 Jetta and get a new one.

I moved to Germany back in Jan and took my Jetta, it's still having the EGR Code off and on it had from before the scandal broke and I'm also wondering if there's a way to upgrade the radio to one with navigation in it. Selling it back to VW and getting a new one would solve both of those issues for me.

Diesels are very common in Germany, VW, Audi, Mercedes, Ford, seems everyone sells a diesel in Bavaria. They have to get emission stickers and are coded but when I got my registration they didn't test the emissions. Maybe they knew it would pass? Either way, I'm not feeling any problems from the scandal. I know I could get an American spec car here, which I assume would be built here rather than Mexico.

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
I hope to. With 170k on it things are starting to fail and add up. That is if us tuned cars can get away with getting in on the buyback.

Stg 2 Malone with Buzzken delete.

jsf350

TDI
13 jetta tdi
if price it right.... the tdi will be gone... mines a 13 with 73000 miles on it ... bought brand new
been stg 2 tuned since 2000 miles no issues with car except for some rattles and front endlinks

i was shocked to see the car was only valued at $9000

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
i hope they offer good money , im sick of this slow tdi . Im looking into a big 4 door, thinking 13+ taurus sho .

Im worried since i have a passat it will just get a tune and use more def .

But im hoping the buy back comes in with a strong deal for me . Im ready for a faster daily driver again .

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Especially since that stock crap took a lot of time to take off, and some of it, I don't know if I have anymore (the emissions, yes, other stuff, no). I'm still thinking they'll lean towards no buybacks if the emissions crap is modified, only because VWoA is a corporation with the usual strict rules (i.e. getting a warranty replacement on a phone that's been rooted/jailbroken - most manufacturers say no).

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
That is most of my question.. when the CR170 turbo got put on, the CR140 and the front two catalysts got sold.

My gut is telling me they won't even buy it back with the big turbo and aftermarket down/midpipe.. simply hooking up their diagnostic tool will tell them that the ECU doesn't have the stock tune either.

So.. any speculation? People thinking they won't let vehicles come back with non-compliant emissions equipment?