Will you turn in your tuned CR if VW offers buybacks?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yup, correct. I started this thread specifically for. hose of us who have tuned/modified cars, since our group doesn't necessarily relate to the mainstream threadzilla crowd, whom it seems has bone stock TDIs. Plus, threadzilla crowd is generally hostile for those of us with any mods, be it emissions, suspension or otherwise.
Yeah, it seems like the majority of that crowd view their cars purely as appliances. Driving is not to be enjoyed. They just turn the key, close their eyes, and think of England. :rolleyes:

blackdogtdi

TDI
2011 Golf
It's really sad, the thought of losing my Jetta. I put quite a bit of money into it already, and having done the exhaust myself, have no desire to return it to stock. I want to keep my car as long as I can. I bought it with the intention of keeping it until it died on me, many thousands of miles from now.

Louczar

TDI
2012 Jetta
A someone else mentioned...I too have been looking at the Golf GTi & Golf R as a possible replacement for my Jetta.

I do get 41 MPG in the Jetta. Diesel has pulled ahead of gasoline again in price where I live (not by much though). 80-90% of all my driving is on the highway. The drop in MPG going to a Golf would be a big downside. But, getting rid of the Jetta AND the issues the car has. in 118,000 miles, I have replaced 8 or 9 headlight bulbs, pass seat weight sensor going out and have to leave the seatbelt closed, door lock solenoids going out, AC bearing pulley starting to make a fair amount of noise and a few other minor issues.

I've been having small conversations with the wife on possible options for a buy back. We dont have any car payments and only have 1 CC bill. I went back to AMD last year as a contractor and have unlimited OT. We've been paying lots of stuff off. It would only take 2 - 3 months to pay off the difference if I went to a Golf GTi. The Golf R would take a few more.

They look nice enough and fun to drive. I turned 48 this year and want a little more fun in my 100 mile round trip daily commute. MAYBE...I could pass this off as my mid life crisis and talk the wife into a Golf R???? ;):D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I turned 48 this year and want a little more fun in my 100 mile round trip daily commute. MAYBE...I could pass this off as my mid life crisis and talk the wife into a Golf R???? ;):D
That worked for me once. Now I am trying to pull off the "late life" crisis and convince her I should dump the Passat and get back into a Corvette. The heck with being sensible.;)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
the 1st gin 2.0 clean diesel cannot be fixed--buy back only !!
We don't know for sure what will or won't happen. We might have a idea on the 21st of this month. And a better idea June 21st. The final plans will be laid out on July 21st.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Don't plan on anything until years end. VW recently told the "powers" they weren't doing anything until then. I suspect they can't make the cars meet emissions and are in a real quandry. I don't think the final outcome will give owners any choices. Either vw will fix them and still provide fuel mileage claims or will buy all of them back and/or declare bankruptcy. The unions in Germany also have way too much power and will make it even more difficult for VW to survive this mess.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
???

Either vw will fix them and still provide fuel mileage claims or will buy all of them back and/or declare bankruptcy.
Can this really bankrupt VW? I sort of doubt it. The only thing worse than having to sell back my TDI is to get a GTI and then have no company to support it. HAHA!

Scott

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
???

Can this really bankrupt VW? I sort of doubt it. The only thing worse than having to sell back my TDI is to get a GTI and then have no company to support it. HAHA!

Scott
That would put me in a BMW pretty fast. :rolleyes:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I wouldnt take a BMW for free. VW will work its issues out. Any downsides to modded cars is that just like a trade in, they arent obligated to reimburse for mods.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Don't plan on anything until years end. VW recently told the "powers" they weren't doing anything until then. I suspect they can't make the cars meet emissions and are in a real quandry. I don't think the final outcome will give owners any choices. Either vw will fix them and still provide fuel mileage claims or will buy all of them back and/or declare bankruptcy. The unions in Germany also have way too much power and will make it even more difficult for VW to survive this mess.
Extremely low priority that VW files for bankruptcy. Too many jobs at stake and the unions would not go for it. Neither would the state of Lowery Saxony and other large shareholders. Too big to fail...remember that term?

Now what might happen is a dragged out buyback/fix/exchange program to move cash outflow into next year and beyond. That would be done to smooth out the pain and maybe get owners of cars more time to wear out their cars.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I wouldnt take a BMW for free. VW will work its issues out. Any downsides to modded cars is that just like a trade in, they arent obligated to reimburse for mods.
oh?? do tell.:confused:

The E60 528i or e90 335d with sport package were both cars I considered before picking up my golf.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Now what might happen is a dragged out buyback/fix/exchange program to move cash outflow into next year and beyond. That would be done to smooth out the pain and maybe get owners of cars more time to wear out their cars.

This severely limits options for people that want out of their dirty cars, and especially harms people that have an accident/theft requiring reimbursement for the value of the vehicle.

I can't see them getting all the buybacks done instantly, but dragging things out also doesn't seem like a viable option if they are trying to salvage their reputation & market share. quick buyback + "substantial" compensation = way less people abandoning the brand entirely.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
This severely limits options for people that want out of their dirty cars, and especially harms people that have an accident/theft requiring reimbursement for the value of the vehicle.

I can't see them getting all the buybacks done instantly, but dragging things out also doesn't seem like a viable option if they are trying to salvage their reputation & market share. quick buyback + "substantial" compensation = way less people abandoning the brand entirely.
I'd bet that VW realizes they have lost the majority of buyers of the TDI's in the U.S., which has not been a big number of sales in relation to their other U.S. products (25% maybe). VW also does not have a large presence here in the U.S. and it is declining.

Their reputation has already been tarnished, especially here, and they may not care if a few disgruntled TDI owners are not happy with the remedy as long as the EPA/CARB/FTC are happy. I suspect VW will commission a third party to handle buybacks/etc and we will be stuck dealing with the new party. VW will ignore us then as they have in the past.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I'd bet that VW realizes they have lost the majority of buyers of the TDI's in the U.S., which has not been a big number of sales in relation to their other U.S. products (25% maybe). VW also does not have a large presence here in the U.S. and it is declining.

Their reputation has already been tarnished, especially here, and they may not care if a few disgruntled TDI owners are not happy with the remedy as long as the EPA/CARB/FTC are happy. I suspect VW will commission a third party to handle buybacks/etc and we will be stuck dealing with the new party. VW will ignore us then as they have in the past.
You hit the nail right on the head! EPA/CARB/FTC have the real power here. After that comes the DOJ to bring a criminal case and the California Attorney General with civil and criminal charges.

Customers will be have to deal with a 3rd party master (just like the GM case) or fight their own legal battles for 20+ years. VW will pay what they have to to put this whole issue in the past. Most of the owners here will not be very happy when all is done. In large part, because many here seem to think they have struck gold!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
VW will pay what they have to to put this whole issue in the past. Most of the owners here will not be very happy when all is done. In large part, because many here seem to think they have struck gold!
Agreed!

I doubt very much if anyone "strikes gold" with a buyback of used cars. VW has said that Sept 2015 values will be the basis of valuation. Then those cars with "excessive" miles will be adjusted accordingly (my opinion). That only makes sense as the owners got the use out of the cars, and they were considered "legal" to drive. I suspect there will be a loss of value adjustment also..

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
My speculation is DEF equipped cars will be retrofitted/reprogrammed to meet specs and all others will be bought back (and resold in another country). All owners will be compensated for their "loyalty".

VW is big enough to absorb this fiasco. They haven't missed a beat with advertising their gasser Passat and Jetta models and incentives.

Again this is all my best guess.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
And here I am trying to find a good CR TDI to keep.....
I actually think they are good cars. I also like to plant trees, so there.

I bet if fuel prices were higher, way fewer owners would feel like they struck gold.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
And here I am trying to find a good CR TDI to keep.....

I bet if fuel prices were higher, way fewer owners would feel like they struck gold.
Indeed!

They are great cars...
If you don't have the fuel pump grenade and take out the fuel system in the process.
Or if the serpentine belt doesn't rip apart sending bits behind the timing belt cover causing the timing belt to skip timing in the process.
Or if you don't have the DPF go out on you.

Granted those three issues are rare, but if they happen to you they suck.
On the plus side the aftermarket has helped fix all of them :cool:

And yeah, if fuel prices were up where they were a couple years ago I think more folks would want to hold tightly to their TDIs.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Haha, I don't mind doing my own diagnostics and wrenching. It's quite fun for me.

I've heard mostly positive things on the CR. If they're about as reliable (or more) as the 335d, then it would be ok. And I know the 335d has many dpf problems. Not a huge problem for me.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Haha, me too!

And regarding the CR=good car... As others stated, with the problems addressed it is one of my top 3 cars ever, and given the mileage I have never really considered anything else for my wife's 100+ miles/day... I expected this car to see 400-500k+ mi, but now it looks like we might make it to 150k (at 90 now) if we are lucky, before we have to give it up... of course this is speculation, but there are only so many directions this can go... If I find out the car is on borrowed time this July someone might be getting a good deal on a frostheater....

edit: I'll be d@mned if I don't end up with a ALH, BEW/PD if they take away my CR! Of course I will need to spent a few hours, here on the forum, before I know which... My wife's pretty reluctant to go older, but I talked her out of a 2012 Civic Si and into our 2011 TDI (granted the TDI was actually produced well after the Si and had almost 20,000 fewer miles, and we broke even on the trade, corrected for MSRP... TDI... gotta have... lol)

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
And regarding the CR=good car... As others stated, with the problems addressed it is one of my top 3 cars ever, and given the mileage I have never really considered anything else for my wife's 100+ miles/day... I expected this car to see 400-500k+ mi, but now it looks like we might make it to 150k (at 90 now) if we are lucky, before we have to give it up... of course this is speculation, but there are only so many directions this can go... If I find out the car is on borrowed time this July someone might be getting a good deal on a frostheater....

edit: I'll be d@mned if I don't end up with a ALH, BEW/PD if they take away my CR! Of course I will need to spent a few hours, here on the forum, before I know which... My wife's pretty reluctant to go older, but I talked her out of a 2012 Civic Si and into our 2011 TDI (granted the TDI was actually produced well after the Si and had almost 20,000 fewer miles, and we broke even on the trade, corrected for MSRP... TDI... gotta have... lol)
I don't really think we'll be forced to give them up. CARB states might withhold registration (CA in particular), but I don't think non-CARB states give two $hits.

That said - I'm loving my BEW. Driving the way I do my CR, I got 37.5 on my last fillup. I'll see if it improves next week, when I get a Malone Stage 1 and EGR delete. Of course, the BEW isn't without its share of problems - i.e. camshaft wear and EGR that leaks. All in all, having it for 2 weeks, I really like driving it (plus my VW is at the body shop for an animal collision, so it's my only choice).

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Don't plan on anything until years end. VW recently told the "powers" they weren't doing anything until then. I suspect they can't make the cars meet emissions and are in a real quandry. I don't think the final outcome will give owners any choices. Either vw will fix them and still provide fuel mileage claims or will buy all of them back and/or declare bankruptcy.

Strongly doubt CARB will want to hammer the innocent car owner by forcing cars off the road. So a forced buyback will not happen, IMHO.

Much more likely solution - VW will make emission offsets of one kind or another. Yes, some type of voluntary buy back and compensation system will be offered owners.

Now, you have to ask, are those with modified engines "innocent owners" or are the "emission cheaters", just like VW? In California, if you remove emissions equipment, you have to put it back on the car. Cost is not an issue. You screwed it up deliberately, you have to fixed, period.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Now, you have to ask, are those with modified engines "innocent owners" or are the "emission cheaters", just like VW? In California, if you remove emissions equipment, you have to put it back on the car. Cost is not an issue. You screwed it up deliberately, you have to fixed, period.
Which is why my vehicles are registered in TX. Granted, the original purpose of this thread is what those who have modded cars would do, rather than speculation by those with stock cars.