Will you turn in your tuned CR if VW offers buybacks?

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
Legalities of emission modifications aside people have other modifications such as suspension / body / stereo whatever. At some point they decided to spend the $$$ on their car with notion of keeping it till the proverbial wheels fall off without being aware of the Dieselgate bs...

Now VW wants to buy them back I don't think its fair to look at all vehicles in the same light because chances are if someone modified their car they are an enthusiast and generally take excellent care of their vehicle (I know I do)

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I am in it for the long haul (I hope). I used the goodwill money for Bilstein HD shocks and a rear H&R bar. I was about to do a Malone stage 2 when Dieselgate hit. At ~85k miles I am due for new tires, still on original Contis.

Car is a '14 Passat SEL and I avg 35k miles/year. It will be very hard to replace 43 mpg without getting a clown car.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Possibly less the cost of returning it to stock?
At dealer parts prices and labor rates? half the value of the car would be gone.

I REALLY hope that isn't what they suggest. Already have been trying to source used/imperfect DPF/turbo and looked into retuning to stock.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Legalities of emission modifications aside people have other modifications such as suspension / body / stereo whatever. At some point they decided to spend the $$$ on their car with notion of keeping it till the proverbial wheels fall off without being aware of the Dieselgate bs...

Now VW wants to buy them back I don't think its fair to look at all vehicles in the same light because chances are if someone modified their car they are an enthusiast and generally take excellent care of their vehicle (I know I do)
Wouldn't all of that be wrapped up in a valuation though? ie "excellent" condition gets more money than "very good"? And while certain people would pay extra for suspension and stereo, the broader market doesn't care enough to appreciably increase value.

VW, like insurance companies, will probably only be obligated to care about the fair market value.

opelgt21

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI - BB
Considering my intercooler icing issues, not sure I would accept a fix from VW unless it came with a greatly extended powertrain warranty. (+60k from installation)

I'll miss my TDi, but cannot picture keeping it.

gliitch

TDI
MKVI Golf
I have ready pulled all the low and slow parts off my car an don't the stock ones back on (I always keep my stock parts). Only mod left is the stage 1 revo tune so worst case I'll get stock to e flashed back in. I don't think they will care about just the tune because they will probably put an upgraded software anyways.

My car is a 2011 and only has 38k miles on it. Love the car it has treated me fantastic but will sell it back in a heart beat if all the rumors are true.

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
The only way I could see definitely keeping mine is if they extend the factory warranty. I have a 2012 with 72k on it. Probably won't be putting any miles on it for a little bit too as I just had surgery and may need more in the next few months.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

I'm in this same boat myself. Changed all the suspension on my JSW as well as some other mods here and there, not to mention the performance mods. I don't even know what I did with the old shocks/springs; I think they went to the metal scrapper, since they were junk to begin with.

The only way I could see definitely keeping mine is if they extend the factory warranty. I have a 2012 with 72k on it. Probably won't be putting any miles on it for a little bit too as I just had surgery and may need more in the next few months.
Hope you get better soon!

Last edited:

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
what I am more curious in is how this will effect parts availability for those of us not covered by this buyback or fix solution.

I have an engine that is in the dieselgate group, but the car i have it for isn't even close to being in it. I don't have any plans to get rid of it, but I will be a little sad if I have to go to Europe for parts for it, granted it is not a daily so that isn't that big of a deal. I am just waiting to hear how this will effect those of us to stubborn to get rid of our CR TDIs.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
what I am more curious in is how this will effect parts availability for those of us not covered by this buyback or fix solution.

I have an engine that is in the dieselgate group, but the car i have it for isn't even close to being in it. I don't have any plans to get rid of it, but I will be a little sad if I have to go to Europe for parts for it, granted it is not a daily so that isn't that big of a deal. I am just waiting to hear how this will effect those of us to stubborn to get rid of our CR TDIs.
That's actually a pretty nifty conversion (Rabbit TDI). That's a good question about parts availability, considering the buyback scenario. Not that it's the best comparison, but I think GM was required to still provide parts for Saabs for 10 years, even when Saab Automotive went under, and for the 2 Saabs in my household, it's not as difficult as you'd think finding parts. It'll be interesting to see how this affects us TDI owners.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
That's actually a pretty nifty conversion (Rabbit TDI). That's a good question about parts availability, considering the buyback scenario. Not that it's the best comparison, but I think GM was required to still provide parts for Saabs for 10 years, even when Saab Automotive went under, and for the 2 Saabs in my household, it's not as difficult as you'd think finding parts. It'll be interesting to see how this affects us TDI owners.
It's not only a TDI conversion but also a 4motion conversion which has required sourcing the entire driveline from Europe so I am not afraid if that is really needed as some of the engine parts will be coming from there as well. i would just like to be able to get some of the parts here.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
It's not only a TDI conversion but also a 4motion conversion which has required sourcing the entire driveline from Europe so I am not afraid if that is really needed as some of the engine parts will be coming from there as well. i would just like to be able to get some of the parts here.
A lot of people on threadzilla seem to think VW will be pulling out of the US market when all is said and done. Personally, I doubt that, or at least, VW will still keep Porsche and Audi here. With the number of third parties, not to mention those who only deal with European cars, I don't think parts sourcing will be a problem in the future, but this is only my opinion anyways.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
A lot of people on threadzilla seem to think VW will be pulling out of the US market when all is said and done. Personally, I doubt that, or at least, VW will still keep Porsche and Audi here. With the number of third parties, not to mention those who only deal with European cars, I don't think parts sourcing will be a problem in the future, but this is only my opinion anyways.
VW would "lose face" if it pulled out of the second biggest car market in the world. They will make and sell VW's here, but diesels may be slowly discontinued.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It would be interesting if we got another one of vw's subsidiaries like Skoda or seat. But vw is simply not going to go away anytime soon. There's also the dealers, I'm sure they will put up quite a fight if vw decides that they don't want to be in the states anymore.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
What I still don't understand is why we can't just go with the European crash and emissions tests? That alone would make it so much easier for ever car manufacture to bring cars here vs having to go through the entire emissions testing and crash testing issues just for us. I mean it's not like Europe doesn't have a way higher population density in most of it's cities then we have in only a few, and they have places with 100MPH+ speed limits open to the public. I just don't understand why we haven't just gone with those standards in the last 30 years.

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
What I still don't understand is why we can't just go with the European crash and emissions tests? That alone would make it so much easier for ever car manufacture to bring cars here vs having to go through the entire emissions testing and crash testing issues just for us. I mean it's not like Europe doesn't have a way higher population density in most of it's cities then we have in only a few, and they have places with 100MPH+ speed limits open to the public. I just don't understand why we haven't just gone with those standards in the last 30 years.
Probably because it would make it easy for foreign companies to import cars. American car makers have an interest in making it difficult for foreign companies to compete with them, regulation is one of the best ways of accomplishing that.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
and how many of the "american" car companies only do business here?
For that matter we didn't get some of the cool American cars they did in Europe.

I'd really like to see American car companies bring small diesel engines here in several cars. I believe some are even made here before they ship them overseas *headscratch*

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
and how many of the "american" car companies only do business here?
True, they have to deal with the reverse when selling overseas. Between the US an Europe though, they sell a lot more here than they do there, so it would make sense to have the regulation scheme the way it is. Another example, the "chicken tax" that discourages foreign small trucks from being imported. American manufacturers have high margin on trucks, foreign competition would hurt that, so there's regulation to prevent the competition.

My reply was really meant to point out that there isn't a safety/emissions reason to not use European standards, those standards are fine. This is also getting off-topic for this thread so we should likely continue this discussion elsewhere if we're going to.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
For that matter we didn't get some of the cool American cars they did in Europe.

I'd really like to see American car companies bring small diesel engines here in several cars. I believe some are even made here before they ship them overseas *headscratch*
Good luck, with mainstream America being power hungry, needing SUVs with large block V6's and V8's. And the irony is most of them go under the speed limit, never tow, or don't even come close to exceeding 50% of the weight limits.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Good luck, with mainstream America being power hungry, needing SUVs with large block V6's and V8's. And the irony is most of them go under the speed limit, never tow, or don't even come close to exceeding 50% of the weight limits.
Having been to the Houston area once for work I know all too well it's truck country there. At the rental place they offered me a pickup truck because they were out of cars. In hind sight I doubt they even had cars anyway, just a ton of SUVs and such... I went for the Ford Flex on that trip. Not a bad ride :cool:

Shoot even in Maryland most folks who have a truck or SUV seem to have it just to have it when a smaller car would do fine in most cases.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Recently I've been working around the corner from the dealer where I bought my TDI. Since it was Sunday and I knew they would be closed and I could take a peak at the Golf Rs and GTIs they had sitting on the lot without wasting a saleman's time.

I'm not gonna lie it would be tempting if VW offered the right amount of cash in a buyback. I could easily get into a GTI or could make it work for an R with some negotiation. The R's 290hp sure is tempting and both models are well appointed and beautiful looking. But then I saw the MPG. Both only get in the mid 20s combined. Recently I've been getting 41mpg combined. If I go to Stage 3.5 I can have the 220hp, still have all the low end torque, and get 40+ mpg.

Honestly there just isn't anything on the market I'm interested in that's as fun to drive (torque for days!) yet still practical for all the driving I do for work and hauling my gear. I love my TDI and would be very sad to be forced to part with it. It's been everything I hoped it would be as I've made it my own over the last two years of ownership. I'll be anxiously awaiting June 21 to see what VW is going to do for us tuned and modified owners.

dogcatcher

TDI
Passat SE
Looks like I missed the $1000 deadline. I was under the impression that accepting the offer precluded me from taking legal action against VW. Damn.

I hate this scandal. I paid $31k for a 2015 Passat TDI because I wanted a car that got great milage, had decent power, and would last hundreds of thousands of miles. Now, I have a car that will make less power, get less milage, and burn up early. And VW wants to give me 1 year depreciation + $5k? I don't think the check will cover 1st year depreciation. Plus, I paid a few K more for an 8yr. extended warrantee, again thinking the car would last forever. I am not interested in anything less than a full refund of my purchase price + the cost of the extended warrantee. I don't think I had the car 6 months before the scandal broke.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks like I missed the $1000 deadline. I was under the impression that accepting the offer precluded me from taking legal action against VW. Damn.
I hate this scandal. I paid $31k for a 2015 Passat TDI because I wanted a car that got great milage, had decent power, and would last hundreds of thousands of miles. Now, I have a car that will make less power, get less milage, and burn up early. And VW wants to give me 1 year depreciation + $5k? I don't think the check will cover 1st year depreciation. Plus, I paid a few K more for an 8yr. extended warrantee, again thinking the car would last forever. I am not interested in anything less than a full refund of my purchase price + the cost of the extended warrantee. I don't think I had the car 6 months before the scandal broke.

Wow, that's a bummer. It sounds like you finally came to your senses a couple of days too late. Doh! I'm not sure what your poor decision has to do with this thread though.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

You are jumping to conclusions and letting Internet rumors get the best of you. 2012-2014 Volkswagen passats are 2nd gen TDI engines meaning that they have urea injection. What's most likely going to happen with your car is a increase in urea use. Worst case scenario after update you might have to refill your urea tank before the 10,000 mile normal interval.

The 1st Gen cars:
2009-2014 jetta, beetle, Golf are the 1st Gen cars. They are the ones that need to worry the most regarding the fix and what it means for performance and mpg since we have no urea injection to combat NOx.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You are jumping to conclusions and letting Internet rumors get the best of you. 2012-2014 Volkswagen passats are 2nd gen TDI engines meaning that they have urea injection. What's most likely going to happen with your car is a increase in urea use. Worst case scenario after update you might have to refill your urea tank before the 10,000 mile normal interval.
If this is the case, why has VW not already stepped up to the plate and "fixed" those?

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
It's too early to say what I will do, too many variables... I will take advantage of the (possible) 2 years to decide so long as I am "allowed" to keep it on the road...

As someone here said, I am trying to drive more and worry less, but my mind does keep revisiting the unfriendly potential prospect of having to part ways with my tuned TDI... Just glad I was patient with all the other mods I planned... I'd be pissed it there was suspension, etc... involved (esp. if I did not keep the old parts)... Luckily a forum member, who bought my DPF, has the older one in case I need to rig something up... EGR cooler etc... would be a beast to reinstall, especially since I'd be crying all the while......:(

What I still don't understand is why we can't just go with the European crash and emissions tests? .
That would be nice... I guess we do drive more overall, but still... Nice swap... got curious and am gonna check out your thread on the Rabbit. :)

This upsets me too... We miss a lot of nice stuff and then don't get the best selection from overseas either...

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
or could make it work for an R with some negotiation..

If only they would budge on the R at all.. My friend is a manager at VW and there is no negotiating the R from what he's told me..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If this is the case, why has VW not already stepped up to the plate and "fixed" those?
Because Volkswagen is in the middle of a legal battle. My guess is that they can't do anything legally. They also need to go through testing the software modifications to make sure that it doesn't cause damage to the emissions hardware.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Having been to the Houston area once for work I know all too well it's truck country there. At the rental place they offered me a pickup truck because they were out of cars. In hind sight I doubt they even had cars anyway, just a ton of SUVs and such... I went for the Ford Flex on that trip. Not a bad ride :cool:

Shoot even in Maryland most folks who have a truck or SUV seem to have it just to have it when a smaller car would do fine in most cases.
Well, my area is no exception. You see a fair amount of SUVs, but tons of trucks out here, and a large number of them diesels. But when I see VWs out here, the majority of the time, they're TDIs. My next vehicle purchase will definitely be a truck, but unlike everyone in my area (especially in my line of work), it wouldn't be a daily driver.

Same thing with the local Hertz in town - only SUVs and trucks (and I actually need to setup a rental this week when my JSW gets body work done for a few weeks).

...I'm not gonna lie it would be tempting if VW offered the right amount of cash in a buyback. I could easily get into a GTI or could make it work for an R with some negotiation. The R's 290hp sure is tempting and both models are well appointed and beautiful looking. But then I saw the MPG. Both only get in the mid 20s combined. Recently I've been getting 41mpg combined. If I go to Stage 3.5 I can have the 220hp, still have all the low end torque, and get 40+ mpg.
Yup - the Stage 3.5 is pretty awesome. My JSW really pulls hard when I give enough throttle. When I drove my newly acquired Golf back from Austin on Friday, my mother drove my car in drive. Not only was she able to keep up (unlike driving her SUV), but she managed to get 42.3mpg (my lead food gets me 39-40 at best). And while the Stage 3.5 is rated at 193whp, the highest PolarFIS has reported was 221HP and 307-309lb ft of torque. Obviously, you don't want to stay there for an extended duration, thanks to high EGTs.

Which is a shame, considering that there were MANY threads as well as information from class action attorneys that accepting the $1000 would not have been detrimental to you. The Visa card paid for almost 12K miles of driving out here, and the dealer card paid for my 160K service fluids and window tint (and I still have about $100 remaining).

Wow, that's a bummer. It sounds like you finally came to your senses a couple of days too late. Doh! I'm not sure what your poor decision has to do with this thread though.
Yup, correct. I started this thread specifically for those of us who have tuned/modified cars, since our group doesn't necessarily relate to the mainstream threadzilla crowd, whom it seems has bone stock TDIs. Plus, threadzilla crowd is generally hostile for those of us with any mods, be it emissions, suspension or otherwise.

Last edited: