will not start???

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Could a cloged manafold/EGR be behind this?? I will turn over on first crank and then ZIP on second... No Codes and was running fine untill just now.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
pmich said:
Could a cloged manafold/EGR be behind this?? I will turn over on first crank and then ZIP on second... No Codes and was running fine untill just now.
Check if the shutdown valve is stuck in the closed position. If it is...EGR and intake cleaning time.

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
shutdown valve is seems to be fine Lots of spring to it. Car won't turn over now , but all lights etc work well.

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
The first few times, but now it seems the battery is weak. keep in mind I've only tried turing it over 7 times. Also I had the same problem starting it the day before but was able to on the third crank and ran it for 90 + miles with out any problems.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Remove the battery and charge it. Then take it to a place that can load test your battery. Be sure the surface charge is off the battery by letting it sit for...

***Googles "How to test a battery***

Here is a quote from one of the first sources I found:

How to test a battery said:
You must first have the battery fully charged. The surface charge must be removed before testing. If the battery has been sitting at least several hours (I prefer at least 12 hours) you may begin testing. To remove surface charge the battery must experience a load of 20 amps for 3 plus minutes. Turning on the headlights (high beam) will do the trick. After turning off the lights you are ready to test the battery.
I didn't know about the surface charge until I started researching it recently.

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Just for kicks I jumped it and WOW it started. however their is a sh sh sh sh sound comming from the left side near the belts. I'm assuming its the belt turning the altinator???????????????? I'll have to wait to test the battey in the AM to check.. I fits is he belt is it a pain to adjust???

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Not shure what I was trying to say in last sentence....... scrap it......

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
That belt is a little bit of a pain to take off but if you take it off, you can determine if the sound is from the accessory belt or something in the timing belt path. There is a history of a swish, swish noise when something was failing in the Timing belt path.