Will it Hold?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I'm trying to get parts together for a 5 speed swap going into a 2004 BEW wagon. I've found a 2005 BEW beetle that the trans swap is being sold out of. The wagon has rocketchip 1+ and vnt17.

Will all parts go over? (axles, pedals,switches) transmission is likely EGS. Should I wait for an EUH.

I'm pretty sure stock clutch would slip. Would a Luk 17-050 be adequate?

For budget and pedal feel reasons I'd rather go down to RC1.

Current transmission works but doesn't want to go forward for 1 to 3 minutes when stone cold. Then no problem. I had it rebuilt 113k ago and don't want to go that way again.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Anybody?

Reading about it gives mixed views. Automatic ps line may work but would be ugly. Some say shifter housing works, others say no. It seems manual o2j axles work across all mk4 tdi.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
No expert here, but it should go in just fine. I had an auto>manual swap done on my "02 ALH. I believe it should all
fit, you'll probably need the manual axles as well. You'll get more qualified opinions over on the Mk IV board.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As long as you have the starter, axles, pedals, transmission mount, and the PS line (or buy one for a manual transmission car) you should be good. You'll also need to block off the hoses that go to the transmission cooler, or replace the hard coolant line and the hoses that come from it. But plugging them is easier.

Stock clutch with RC1 will be fine. However, if the clutch has some miles on it I'd suggest switching to a SMF setup. Not very expensive, and it'll save you taking the transmission out later.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
IBW,
I cannot see this set up creating enough torque to need SMF. VNT17 and RC1 plus seems to be around 225 to 230 ft lb. That's why I was looking at the LUK 17-050. The description on your listing states 260 ft lb easily. The power that the car is making is plenty for me. I don't see an upgrade in its future.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The LUK kit would most likely be fine, too. In your original post you expressed concern that the original clutch wouldn't hold with the tune. The LUK kit is about the same strength as the stock clutch, but as I posted earlier I think it would be fine. I've been running SMF kits in MKIVs for so long I tend not to think of the LUK kit.