Will I need any special tools when replacing the cam?

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Other than the timing belt tools, will I need any other special tools when replacing the camshaft in the BRM? I have a bentley manual but it dosent go into much detail as far as the cam replacement goes.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You need a set of triple square (XZN) wrenches.

Make sure you have a cam sprocket holding tool - which is really part of the cam tools.

You might want to read up on cam break in practices, and decide how you want to break yours in. And if you want any special snake oils.

I guess you already know you need new bolts? I am buying mine from franko6 - putting in some re-usable bolts.

Good torque wrench for low torque values. Be very careful when hand tightening - you can twist one of these small bolts off before you know it.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Are you talking about the pin that goes into the cam sprocket? What size triple square wrenches will I be needing? I ordered the cam kit from boraparts so it should have all the replacement bolts I need.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Whatever you do, don't use synthetic oil to break in the new cam and valve train gear.

I suggest a crankcase full of Joe Gibbs "BR Break in Oil." And plenty of moly cam and lifter lube paste. And an immediate 2500 rpm fast idle no load run for about 20 minutes upon first startup.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Rod Bearing said:
Whatever you do, don't use synthetic oil to break in the new cam and valve train gear.

I suggest a crankcase full of Joe Gibbs "BR Break in Oil." And plenty of moly cam and lifter lube paste. And an immediate 2500 rpm fast idle no load run for about 20 minutes upon first startup.
Can I buy this stuff locally or do I have to order it?

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
chittychittybangbang said:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/camshaftInspection.htm
Here are my notes on cam replacement with tool list. Since timing belt removal is part of the procedure you will also need the tools for that, also linked in the article.
Thanks. I already have everything I need to do the cam swap. Where could I find the proper break in oil? I would prefer to use something that I can buy locally so I dont have to wait.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Rod Bearing said:

How long before you drain the break in oil?

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
I got my oil online.

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/

BR Break in oil is supposed to be dumped within the first hours of a engine build.

I am experimenting on a BRM so I ran my BR Break In Oil 4800 miles and dropped it and refilled with Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40.

I wanna see how the cam does after 50,000 miles with non synthetic top quality Diesel CJ-4 spec oil.

I looked at the cam yesterday and it is still pristine.