Will golf back seat fit Jetta wagon?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I would think that it would be the same, but I haven't examined a Golf back seat.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
truman said:
I would think that it would be the same, but I haven't examined a Golf back seat.
I've worked with wagon seats vs. sedan seats. I don't know what the differences are between sedan and hatchback seats, but...

Wagon rear seat bottoms have a solid metal pan for a base. The sedan rear seat bottoms have a flexible foam "pan" held in place by a heavy-duty wire frame. In addition, the sedan seat bottoms mount differently than the wagon seat bottoms. If you want to transfer a sedan's rear seats into a wagon, you have to transfer the seat cover and foam from the sedan's rear seat bottoms onto the wagon's pan. They're not an exact fit, but they're probably close enough.

As for the seat backs, the wagon seat backs don't have key locks to secure the trunk area. Sedan seat backs have this lock. Also, wagon seats have LATCH mount points on the cargo side of the seat backs. Sedan seats don't. And wagon seat backs have a plastic slot "connector" that mates with a tab on the seat bottoms when the rear seats are folded forward. Other than that, they're a direct drop-in fit.

--Chris

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
They look similar but are not the same. The mounting system is totally different, unless you want to get into some welding, or swap the cushions as detailed above.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm a little puzzled how or why Golfs would have different back seat than a JW. I thought the only difference between the 2 was 6" additional stroage space behind the back seat? The reason I am asking is that I am contemplating getting GTI F/R seats.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
truman said:
I'm a little puzzled how or why Golfs would have different back seat than a JW. I thought the only difference between the 2 was 6" additional stroage space behind the back seat? The reason I am asking is that I am contemplating getting GTI F/R seats.
Like I said, I've seen sedan rears and wagon rears. I can't vouch for golfs.

It's entirely likely that they're identical to wagons. Someone with a golf, go out and pull your rear seat bottoms up. Is there a metal pan underneath, or is it a wire frame and a foam sheet?

I did recently (today) see pics of a golf rear seat back, and I noted that it didn't have a key lock like the sedan does.

--Chris

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Trust me, been there, done that.
The Jetta and Golf have foam bottoms and a different mechanism for flipping the seats up.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the insight Danix. I'll have to rethink my strategy- crap. It seems bizarre that the Golfs would be different than a JW. My back is real tired of the stock seats.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
truman said:
Thanks for the insight Danix. I'll have to rethink my strategy- crap. It seems bizarre that the Golfs would be different than a JW. My back is real tired of the stock seats.
I don't know why I didn't think of this before...

Just checked ETKA. Golf rear seat benches have the same wire-frame support system that sedan seats do. The solid "pan" is strictly a wagon part.

--Chris

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nihilator said:
I don't know why I didn't think of this before...

Just checked ETKA. Golf rear seat benches have the same wire-frame support system that sedan seats do. The solid "pan" is strictly a wagon part.

--Chris
Thanks

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'd imagine the difference is connected to one thing: Cargo cover.

The Golf has one, the Wagon doesn't. Making the Golf more Jetta-like.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
bhtooefr said:
I'd imagine the difference is connected to one thing: Cargo cover.

The Golf has one, the Wagon doesn't. Making the Golf more Jetta-like.
The wagons have cargo covers, too, but they are, if you can believe it, even flimsier than the golf covers. They're "window-shade" type covers that roll up against the top of the back seat, and are completely unsuitable for anything other than hiding the contents of the wagon area. You can't put anything on them. At least with the golf covers, they're solid shelves and can support light stuff.

--Chris

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think that I have the back seat delimma solved. The Golf and JW rear seat backs are the same, so no problem there. The issue is with the rear seat bottoms. I contemplated taking the rear seats to an upholstery shop to transfer the covers. Thinking about the potential options lead me in another direction. I never liked the tip forward feature of the rear seat bottoms, since it limits front seat travel/leg room. I decided that I would rather remove the seat bottom when cargo space is needed. So what I did was install .025 AL sheet metal mounting surfaces on the bottom of the Recaro rear seat bottoms. Then I applied heavy duty loop velcro to the sheet metal. The velcro engages the carpet under the seat base. For me, I think this is going to work just fine and it keeps the old seats intact in case I sell the car in the future. The GTI Recaro front seats are awesome- my back is very grateful. The stock seats must have been shaped by a voodoo doctor- they really are a cruel joke.