Wife went over the curb - 2013 Jetta TDI

shinghi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG - 2000 Jetta TDI GLS (SOLD)
Well... Teaching the wife how to drive... in a parking lot... and guess what happens, somehow she goes over a curb about 8 inches tall and 12 inches wide. Luckily, I was in the car with her and pulled the park brake and we weren't going very fast - prob less than 10 mph.

The car wasn't 100% stuck, but I didn't want to put it through the ordeal again so I called a tow truck to lift it out.

I drove it after and everything seems fine - no leaks, no noises, etc.

Do you think any damage was done? Should I be careful or check for anything?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5jm9XFr1e3RbjducUZqSk9uLXZVb2JNVUFsQnF0eHVEakpV/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
Only real way to tell is to take it to a shop and have them put it up in the air for a look. But likely nothing serious was damaged. Perhaps have the wheel alignment checked too.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
Wow, that's an impressive curb. All you can do is verify the alignment, and check for damaged parts and plastic panels.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
The rocker panels are most likely dented in. Brake line may be damage as well.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Do you think any damage was done? Should I be careful or check for anything?
Really, this depends on how hard you hit her, and what you hit her with.
Yes, be careful. As far as checking for anything, obviously first check for a pulse or if she is breathing. If not, administer CPR and dial 911. If she is responsive, ask her if she is feeling any pain or able to move her extremities. If you are unsure, err on the side of safety and call an ambulance......or not.

fireitup

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6MT PRM
Really, this depends on how hard you hit her, and what you hit her with.
Yes, be careful. As far as checking for anything, obviously first check for a pulse or if she is breathing. If not, administer CPR and dial 911. If she is responsive, ask her if she is feeling any pain or able to move her extremities. If you are unsure, err on the side of safety and call an ambulance......or not.
:p:p:p

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
love it! I gave up teaching anyone in my cars long ago after an incident with a sidewalk that i ended up paying for.

Bring the car to a trusted garage and get them to take a look. Could be nothing - could be someone - only 1 way to know

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
You might consider investing in a Panzer Plate if the wife has a penchant for
curbs.
http://www.dieselgeek.com/MK6_Jetta_sedan_skid_plate_s/1844.htm

If it were me I would go with Evolution Imports skid plate, it is much better then dieselgeek one for MK5/Mk6 plate, the EI one is much wider towards back and covers larger area then Dieselgeek one, in other words its almost identical to factory plastic plate layout. I wasn't aware of this till this week had customer in shop with MK5 jetta that had dieselgeek plate and he had to use his plastic plate too in order to cover up exposed area between fender lining and DG plate.

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Curb climbing Jetta

Consider yourself very fortunate that no apparent damage, although if I might suggest check the wheel alignment. I had a similar situation in avoiding a major accident with another vehicle, short story I served off road but climbed curb with both right side wheels. End result both right side tires blown, rims damaged, alignment severally off pulling to one side. End cost $1100 to make everything right again.

Avoid curbs.

jaymzaugust

TDI
2009 Jetta
Must not make Helen Keller jokes... Must not make Helen Keller jokes... Must not make Helen Keller jokes...

By chance is your wife's name Helen Keller?