Wierd: No Start 3x; then Start

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
'05 jetta PD

Drove on the freeway for about 15 mins. and made a stop to run an errand. About 10 mins. later, returned to the car and tried to start. Seemed as though no electricity getting to the engine. Would not turn over. Tried 2 more times. Nothing. Noticed the clock reset to 12:00 and the trip odometer reset to 0.0. Pulled the key and waited a few seconds and tired again. This time she fired up.

Thinking it might be the starter. Any ideas?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Since the clock and stuff reset, your voltage dropped below where it needs to be to keep them on.

So, were they reset before you tried to start the car? Yeah, I never notice either...

So maybe there was an interruption in main power from the battery. I would be looking for corrosion on the fuses. Is this an A4 or A5 Jetta?

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
WD:

It's an A4. Didn't notice the clock and trip until after I tried, unsuccessfully, to start the car.

If the voltage dropped so low, wouldn't that affect the radio and the need to get the code to reactivate the radio? Radio worked fine after I restarted.

Made a second stop awhile later and the engine turned over w/o a problem.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrosion. Well, I live in a humid and salty environment, so I'll have to check the battery and fuses.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure about the voltage dropping and only effecting the cluster. Maybe since the radio needs just a small amperage to maintain it's memory it would need a lower voltage to lose it's memory? Or maybe the dropping voltage is just on certain circuits which would go back to corrosion.

Yeah, I was going to say that they don't salt your roads for deicer so corrosion wouldn't be a problem, but then I thought of the salt air.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
WD:

Thanks for the input. I'll check the voltage on the battery when I get home (hopefully) and then examine the fuse block.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
The reason I asked about A4/A5 is because I'm not sure where the big fuses are on the A5.

On the A4 don't forget to look at the ones under the battery cover. That is my seat-of-the-pantaloons guess.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Roger. Will do.

Been here 22 yrs. and never had similar situations with any of the other vehicles. I have an 11yr. old Dodge P/U which sits outside. No such problem.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
WD:

Hope you are right. I have about 1 month left on the warranty, so if it's the starter or something else, I'd like to get it fixed now before it starts costing me $$$$$$$$$$.

Maybe VW's design is strange and allows moist air to get to the components.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Fahrfuwerfuelen said:
Been here 22 yrs. and never had similar situations with any of the other vehicles. I have an 11yr. old Dodge P/U which sits outside. No such problem.
T: you're forgetting one thing...it's a VW ;)

Can you get somebody to load test the battery for you? You may be due.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
DD:

I'm sure I can find a battery place to check it out. But, if it's the battery, wouldn't it be covered under the warranty?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dunno. It's probably 100% covered for 24 mos...pro-rated thereafter?

I'd also check connections at the battery to ensure they're absolutely tight.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe the problem is due to the vog we're experiencing here. Pretty heavy today. Kinda like a SoCal gray haze.:D

Looked in the Y-pages for battery dealers. Not a whole lot of choices here. Worst part, most are located way on the other side of the island.:(

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hate it when the vog rolls in!

Let's see, the dealer may be your best bet on the battery unless you want to step up to an Interstate. God only knows what kind of money that battery will fetch out your way.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Trying to find a dealer on Interstate's website, but the site is very slow. Guess the vog must be affecting the WWW as well.