Why so much insurance

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
Not exactly a Golf but a Seat Arosa 1.4tdi

I got one a few days ago as I cheap daily but was shocked at the insurance. It's an 03 the golf is a 01 I pay 200 a yr, this wee thing is 250! yes it's only 30 a yr for tax but folk said before I got it yes it's buttons to insure tax and run. Tax and run yes but what's with the insurance, had it all gone up in general.

I've got 10 yrs nc's been driving 22 yrs but 10 is max, no spring chicken and a good code... god knows.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Is that $250 a year in USD? That's not expensive, that's crazy AF cheep. I pay $74 a year for my motorcycle, but each of my cars, my mk3 Jetta tdi and my 2004 escape and my G30HD truck all come in at about 1,100 a year for them all with the motorcycle.
Dont like it, go get a motorcycle. Also if you ould spend a bit more effort on making your posts less confusing by proofreading and spell checking?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, too many colloquialisms to get the gist of some of the info. Perhaps some insurance person will happen across your post in this car forum and offer an explanation. But leave the mongler alone, we like him just the way he is. It's social media, put on the thick skin. I can tell you here in the USA these cars are no more expensive to insure than comparable models.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Is that $250 a year in USD? That's not expensive, that's crazy AF cheep. I pay $74 a year for my motorcycle, but each of my cars, my mk3 Jetta tdi and my 2004 escape and my G30HD truck all come in at about 1,100 a year for them all with the motorcycle.
Dont like it, go get a motorcycle. Also if you ould spend a bit more effort on making your posts less confusing by proofreading and spell checking?
Hahah, your insurance is crazy cheap!

Here in British Columbia, with a 30 year no-fault driving record, and therefore the absolute best rates available, I pay:

2004 Golf TDI - $1580 per year for full coverage.

2000 BMW R1150GS motorcycle - $1400 per year for minimal coverage. (Full coverage would be around $2000)

2018 Kawasaki Versys X 300 - $512 per year for minimal coverage. (Full coverage would be $900)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Look. I can only understand soo much before I get lost in gibberish.
Haha
Yea motorcycles are crazy cheep to insure. Guess they think you ain't going to live though a crash haha

Also a good credit score and school degree helps big time.
I cant believe that it costs so much up there geese.
Shop around. Dont go with big name bs companies. I go though a subsidiary of progressive and bundled my commercial auto to get that rate.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Don’t have to worry about the insane In Michigan anymore, they have moved to Florida

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
at least were not In the hill's of the bonnie land, man i would lvoe to have cheep insurance like that!

so years back it was explained to me that the cost of insurance is not how expensive or good or bad the car is, its how much damage the car can do if it drove into a house

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Well that's partly true.

But only partly.

What's mandatory in a given state and its structure makes a huge difference too. As does corruption. Of which some states are better, some worse, and some a LOT worse. Then there are other nations which can go from reasonable to flat-out insane.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i pay 230 usd a month for full coverage on my 11 jsw tdi. 27 years old 1 accident when i was 19. well 2 now.. Deer, last night.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Well that's partly true.

But only partly.
I will admit I can only speak for the ones I know

But that’s what makes it a fun place to visit

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Pretty sure the op is in England so all the comparison of rates is irrelevant to him. Fact is Europe is cheap North America not so much at all. (Especially British Columbia) [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jimsock

TDI
1 Jetta
To be honest I don't understand the point why Golf's insurance is cheaper that Seat's. I guess it depends on the accidents rate. Seat's rate of accidents is much higher so you should understand that those companies increase the price for their services using such statistics. Also, considering the fact that you don't have the most expensive cars, you can search for the cheapest cars to insure, so you can change it and spend less. Personally I'm ok with my Golf, I pay $180 and I don't even feel this sum.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
As a Michigan resident, I pay $900 USD per year for LIABILITY (PLPD) on a 2005 wagon. I had full coverage on it but that was $1,900 USD per year. All on a car that's realistically valued at $3,000-$3,500 USD. Simple math says risk it and remove full coverage and the savings pays off in 3 years, which I did 6 years ago.

Biographic: 33yo male, married, no accidents ever, 1 ticket when I was 17.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I don't know what it costs me per year, since I'm paying for 4 TDIs right now (2 active, 2 on a storage policy). But I have a $100 comprehensive deductible on all my cars, and an aftermarkets parts endorsement on the 2013 and 2003 that add about ~$15-20 per month. It saved my ass when I ran over a dead white tail buck and a dead boar on back to back nights on the 2004; instead of insurance giving me $2200 to keep the car, my payout increased to $5600, and I don't even have to change to a salvage title. :)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We're in the process of registering our cars in Rhode island, and I was shocked by the rates up there, but in a good way. I always knew that rates in Baltimore City were twice those in the surrounding counties, but we'll be paying less than ⅓ in Westerly. The wagon went from $710 to $230 for 6 months for essentially the same coverage. The only difference is we now have a $100 comprehensive deductible instead of $50...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Insurance varies a lot dependant on the area you are in. I pay just less than $600 a year for my 05 Passat, 01 golf and 83 Ford ranger. That's with progressive liability insurance.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
We get screwed here in Ontario Canada. My 2003 vw jetta was $86 month ($1032 yr) for liability only. Funny thing is that my 2012 gmc 1500 is $90 a month ($1,080 yr) with full coverage and its newer, nicer and worth way more money. :unsure:
30 yr male, single, no tickets, clean record.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Michigan is a "bend over and enjoy it" state. The reason is felony misconduct by the medical industry which neither side of the aisle will address, and hasn't for 20+ years. Your only recourse other than violence is to leave.