Why not aftermarket superbulbs ?!?

PWM

Veteran Member
It is widely agreed that any coloured aftermarket 'super'bulb is inferior to the non-coloured bulb. Because the coloured bulb has absorbing filter to change the spectral behaviour most of the energy is filtered out.
So any coloured bulb is a piece of crap !!

But there is non-coloured bulbs that rely on higher wattages.. And indeed this kind of bulb can have somewhat higher luminous output than the standard bulb..

But there is other risks ..

And the lifespan was about 1/1000th of the standard bulbs !!

And you should remember the light output alone does not matter !! - Where the light goes is more important !!
Aftermarket 'super'bulbs have almost always very poor light pattern .. (Light is directed to the sky or bushes - not on the road !!)
Don't melt your lamps - Don't buy any 'super'bulbs !!

Philips Vision Plus and Premium are fine standard bulbs and superior in real performance !!
(Also non-coloured Osram, Bosch-brand, GE are worth mentioning..)

BR, PWM

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I use Phillips Vision Plus with good results.

I agree that overwatt bulbs in DOT lights are a bad idea. First of all you risk a wiring meltdown, but also, you will only make a bad light pattern, worse.

You may be able to put a reputable overwatt bulb in an E-code light with acceptable light results, but risk the meltdown. From what I've seen of the VW design, relays aren't the answer either, you would have to change the connectors and the leads to the lamps inside the light housing.

Really, with Vision Plus bulbs and E-code lamps the light output is fine.

------------------
PlaneCrazy
99.5 Jetta TDI GLS, e-code lights, rear fog, euroswitch
76 Piper Cherokee "The Other Woman"

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I have sampled several of the "aftermarket" bulbs. THe only one that offered "better" performance was the Hella Optilux. Value priced at $28 per pair, standard wattage.

------------------
96 TDI Wagon, ABS, emerald green
00 Jetta TDI GLS, silver arrow, CWP, LUX1, 5 spd.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have some El Cheapo H-7s 70 watt lows and 100 watt highs---blue tinted and they work GREAT!!!! So far I've given Norman radiation burns and blinded Gary
!!!

------------------
Forum's only distributor for nasty pills and suppositories---call me Snake

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dieseldorf:
I have sampled several of the "aftermarket" bulbs. THe only one that offered "better" performance was the Hella Optilux. Value priced at $28 per pair, standard wattage.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Phillips Vision Plus are only available in H4 and H7 formats. They are not a "blue coated" bulb. They seem to offer rather better performance and seem especially good in heavy rain. I think the Passat uses 9005/9006 bulbs? If so Optilux might be your best answer though I heard Hella discontinued those due to quality issues with the Korean manufacturer (they weren't actually made by Hella). Any of the blue coated bulbs are a waste of money.

------------------
PlaneCrazy

VWBoost

Veteran Member
I also have 70watt low beam "blue" look bulbs. Made by Luk. It's been a few months now and everything works fine. Just like to get some Hella Micro DE's for foul weather.

------------------
2001 Golf GL TDI

Glenn

Hi I thought I would add my two cents in on this topic. I have a 2000 Jetta. I commute daily about three hours in all types of weather, so good/above the standard lighting is a neccesity for me.

I have just changed my headlight bulbs to PIAA Platinium series. Close to HID. I have had no problems with and they are much whiter light. I find the brightness better for the back roads, but in the city I find little difference until I pull up to a car.

I also added PIAA 1400 fog lights. These are a great little light and fit nicely to either side of the license plate.

I had a hard time finding bulbs of any reputable brand around other than stock.

Just my thoughts

Glenn

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dieseldorf:
PlaneCrazy, the Jettas run #9007 bulbs. The original Optilux (what I have) were made in Korea. I guess some people did have problems. Hella is aware of this and are just about to release a revised product that is supposed to overcome the earlier exploding version. I have had no problems with mine and they carry a lifetime (??) warranty. I don't know how they can afford to do that.

The glass has a slight blue tint to it but the output is somewhat whiter when compared to the standard OEM bulb.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction my Jetta does NOT run 9007 bulbs, it runs H4 bulbs and I currently have Phillips Vision Plus H4 bulbs in it. I changed to E-code lights back in November which on the Jetta use H4 (Golf with E-codes uses H7 lows, H1 highs while DOT Golf uses H7/H7 hi/lo). My car USED to run 9007 bulbs. Vision Plus is ONLY available in H4 and H7, not 9007 or anything else. Golf owners use H7 though so they can use Vision Plus.

------------------
PlaneCrazy

[This message has been edited by PlaneCrazy (edited January 15, 2001).]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PlaneCrazy:

The Phillips Vision Plus are only available in H4 and H7 formats. They are not a "blue coated" bulb. They seem to offer rather better performance and seem especially good in heavy rain. I think the Passat uses 9005/9006 bulbs? If so Optilux might be your best answer though I heard Hella discontinued those due to quality issues with the Korean manufacturer (they weren't actually made by Hella). Any of the blue coated bulbs are a waste of money.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PlaneCrazy, the Jettas run #9007 bulbs. The original Optilux (what I have) were made in Korea. I guess some people did have problems. Hella is aware of this and are just about to release a revised product that is supposed to overcome the earlier exploding version. I have had no problems with mine and they carry a lifetime (??) warranty. I don't know how they can afford to do that.

The glass has a slight blue tint to it but the output is somewhat whiter when compared to the standard OEM bulb.

------------------

Smokin'Joe

You bet!

Most aftermarket bulbs are POS!

I bought a pair of plasma bulbs (about twice the price of regular ones), the light was nice, whitier, kind of discharge lamps ($$ ouch!) but the left one failed after two months of use, and the right one about three months. Now I have the original bulbs, no problemo so far...

I'm trying to get Bosch plasma bulbs, hope they can stand a lot more.

Joäo C.

'98 Passat tDI
'00 Ibiza tdI

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PlaneCrazy:

Correction my Jetta does NOT run 9007 bulbs, it runs H4 bulbs and I currently have Phillips Vision Plus H4 bulbs in it. I changed to E-code lights back in November which on the Jetta use H4 (Golf with E-codes uses H7 lows, H1 highs while DOT Golf uses H7/H7 hi/lo). My car USED to run 9007 bulbs. Vision Plus is ONLY available in H4 and H7, not 9007 or anything else. Golf owners use H7 though so they can use Vision Plus.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PlaneCrazy, my comment on the #9007 bulb was based solely on the OEM arrangement for Jettas sold in the North American market.

------------------

godlike242

Veteran Member
I'm quite fond of my PIAA bulbs. they are pricey, but they made a big diff in the visibility. one seems to have a slightly different pattern to the other, but it works out well.

Strangely enough, I have the same oddness that i had in my '91 Ford GT. One stream of light from the right side bulb shines up at about a 70 degree angle from the front of the car. It looks very cool in fog, but doesn't seem to affect the visibility at all.

------------------