Why is the front end called the "lock carrier"?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
Having just replaced an engine on a Jetta and now doing work on a Passat, I've had the lock carrier in service position or removed a few times now. However, my mind started to wander this last time and I started to wonder: why is it called the "lock carrier"? Anyone know? And is it just called that on VW's/Audi's, or is it called that on all cars? Google either didn't know what I was asking or didn't have any answers...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

"The lock carrier on the Volkswagen GTI MkV connects the front frame rails together and besides giving the car structural rigidity and crash protection it also provides a mounting platform for most of the systems on the front of the vehicle."

Seems like it locks the frame together and carries most of the front end systems.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
I accept this answer. That makes sense. I guess it also differentiates from some other cars where you can't just remove the whole front end that easy.

33B

TDI
1.6TD 51kw Passat b2 '87; Touran 2.0 TDI PD 125kw '07
I've seen an Alfa Romeo 147 spread open when we had the lock carrier removed. Basically it had been in a severe accident and someone repaired most of it but didn't straighten the frame. So he had the front rails pulled in somehow just enough to put the lock carrier, and sold it like that.