Why is it smoking...

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Red Passat TDI 90hp 5 manual
Why is my car smoking always when it is parked downhill?! Starting the engine after some time, the smoke makes such a horror... It smokes like somebody burned a tire (but smoke is white)! I need some good accel. pedal flooring and some 10 miles drive to rid off of the smoke. Drivers behind me are entering the heaviest "fog" they have ever seen! Parking uphill works ok, almost no smoke... What's wrong?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I wonder if one of the water jackets to the rear, could be leaking into the block. Coolant can produce white smoke, but I’d think 10 minutes’ worth would hydrolock the engine.

Do you have an egr cooler?

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
does it smell like diesel?
sounds like a leaking injector.

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
1. Is it water cooled? I think not mine and egr is off already
two years. Engine was smoking before egr turn off too.
2. It smells like an oil.

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
All the gurus are on vacation, eh?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Smoke being generated only when the car is in a specific orientation would indicate to me that engine oil is leaking onto a hot piece of metal such as the exhaust or exhaust manifold. Check your valve cover for leaks.

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
Valve cover gasket in perfect condition, no even smallest leaks. The oil smell comes from the exhaust pipe smoke.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
White smoke generally means coolant loss, so I would check your coolant level for sure. If coolant bottle is remaining full, it may simply be barely combusted fuel. In which case you may have a bad or sticking injector. Have you considered using a diesel cleaning agent like liquimoly diesel purge?

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
Coolant on the same level for years. Diesel purge used a couple of years ago, independently of the problem with the smoke... the smoke is present after parking the car downhill, never uphill.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
If it smells like burning motor oil and fuel level in the tank has no effect on it it is most likely motor oil, bit of a bluish tint to the smoke? Valve stem seals maybe?

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
Edit: Not 100 gr, but 100 ml.
Well, if you are not converting it, maybe it's a liter :) If yes, it's a 3.38 oz. :)