Why do i like this car so much ?

marcoforehand

TDI
2005 jetta 5spd, 2013 Beetle dsg, 02 Jeeta 5spd retired after 300K+
I considered myself too jaded to admit liking a car as much as I like the 2013 Beetle TDi, but after 5K miles I'm still grinning.
Recent car history is this: in 2002 I replaced a 96 Audi A4 (5spd)(185Km) with an 02 Jetta 5spd. I knew I would be putting high mileage on the car and decided to go with a lower cost per mile car.
Drove the 02 about 280K miles, then handed it off to my son and bought a used 05 (MKIV)(5 spd) (90K miles)(now at 200K).
Both these cars were fine. I missed the some of the accerlation, fit and finish, and the power seat of the A4 but loved the lower fuel cost and felt the car was more durable.
In the meantime my wife's 99 A6 wagon which i purchased used was a prime candidate for cash for junkers in the summer of 2009, put her in a Honda Fit. Could not stand driving that for more then 30 miles. Gave that to my daughter in August of 2012, got my wife a 2007 Prius Touring. That's like driving a well appointed golf cart. More spacious then the Jetta with great mpg using regular fuel but no fun factor at all.
When the 02 that my son was now driving finally died (330K miles), he got the Prius and i started to look for a car for my wife again.
I expected to put her in a used (2010 or 2011) JSW. went to dealerships to compare manual to DSG, thought wow, that's a great automatic and figured the search was done. What color does she want ?
While walking thru the lot she notices the Beetle, "isn't it cute", "take a picture of me in it". I figure what the hell, I'll test drive it.
Drive both a stick and a dsg, like the dsg better, and oh by the way, the fit and finish seems nicer then the used Jettas.
That's how I ended up with a Beetle TDi in my drive way. It's the 11th VW/Audi I've owned in the past 30 years and I swear it's the best built.No rattles, no radio problems etc.
And it is a blast to drive !
Any ideas on how to add a power seat ?

DouginNC

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
I too am surprised how much I like the 2013 Beetle Convertible. I've been driving BMWs for years and I was skeptical when my wife wanted a Beetle. What surprises me:
- the quickness of the TDI
- the power of the TDI. It has no trouble maintaining the chosen speed on cruise control.
- how quiet the car is at idle and on he road. Quieter than my BMW
- 44 MPG. Are you kidding me! I love that.
- comfort. I can drive hundreds of mile is this car and get out refreshed
- the top action is fast
- the trunk is larger than I expected
- so far the DSG is an amazing transmission. I usually don't notice any of the shifters after 1st into 2nd.

At first I missed the automatic headlights, the power seats and the auto climate control. The manual seat is not that big of a deal for us. A few pumps and we are set to change drivers. I now remember to turn off the headlights. And having full control of the climate system has its advantages.

This car is more fun to drive than my wife's previous car; a 128 BMW convertible.

I do miss the xenon headlights and the interior plastic scratches too easy.

colourfastt

TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Convertible
I too am surprised how much I like the 2013 Beetle Convertible. I've been driving BMWs for years and I was skeptical when my wife wanted a Beetle. What surprises me:
- the quickness of the TDI
- the power of the TDI. It has no trouble maintaining the chosen speed on cruise control.
- how quiet the car is at idle and on he road. Quieter than my BMW
- 44 MPG. Are you kidding me! I love that.
- comfort. I can drive hundreds of mile is this car and get out refreshed
- the top action is fast
- the trunk is larger than I expected
- so far the DSG is an amazing transmission. I usually don't notice any of the shifters after 1st into 2nd.
At first I missed the automatic headlights, the power seats and the auto climate control. The manual seat is not that big of a deal for us. A few pumps and we are set to change drivers. I now remember to turn off the headlights. And having full control of the climate system has its advantages.
This car is more fun to drive than my wife's previous car; a 128 BMW convertible.
I do miss the xenon headlights and the interior plastic scratches too easy.

Like you I bought a Beetle Conv. this year; traded my Cadillac SRX to get it. Don't miss most things, but i'm finding I miss the adaptive HID headlights (I really do miss the cornering of the headlights as I turned) and the back-up camera (they really need to add this to the Beetle Conv. as the B pillar is FAR to wide to see when backing up, especially out of a parking space. I also miss the air conditioned seats but it's not that big of a deal.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
It's like being in a honeymoon with a bad girl.

Some time from now you may grow to regret it, but for now, enjoy the bliss.

Make sure you save every fuel receipt, though, for when you come down to earth.

deus_pater

TDI
Golf, 2000, Indigo
I test drive a 2013 NB TDI yesterday. It's a great deal, and I'm in love with it. Alas, I have a 3-week old baby, and the NB is worse for car seat fitment than my 2000 Golf 3-door.

So I'm sticking with the Golf (which is in great shape, 228k miles and going strong). But I'll never forget that fling with the Beetle.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Just drove a Jetta GLI, a Beetle Turbo, a Jetta TDI and a Beetle TDI today. Had to replace my wife's 2006 Jetta that taught a curb a lesson by pissing it's trans fluid on the offending curb...but in the end, the curb laughed and the Jetta died... :( RIP old gal. ...

Today, both my wife and I were a bit stunned to compare notes and see on each of our lists sat...a 2014 Beetle TDI... she comes home tomorrow...and I'm back to TDI ownership... :D

colourfastt

TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Convertible
Just drove a Jetta GLI, a Beetle Turbo, a Jetta TDI and a Beetle TDI today. Had to replace my wife's 2006 Jetta that taught a curb a lesson by pissing it's trans fluid on the offending curb...but in the end, the curb laughed and the Jetta died... :( RIP old gal. ...

Today, both my wife and I were a bit stunned to compare notes and see on each of our lists sat...a 2014 Beetle TDI... she comes home tomorrow...and I'm back to TDI ownership... :D
Nice. What surprised me about my Beetle is that it has more headroom (and general driver space) than the Cadillac SUV that I traded in.

marcoforehand

TDI
2005 jetta 5spd, 2013 Beetle dsg, 02 Jeeta 5spd retired after 300K+
A couple more thoughts.
In 2002 my Jetta TDi, 5 spd manual, no sun roof or heated seats cost me $20,500.
Eleven years later,and the 2013 Beetle TDi w DSG and heated seats (but no sun roof) cost me less the $22K (thanks to Chris at Langhorne VW).
While both cars were assembled in Mexico, the initial impression of build quality is that the 2013 is much better built. 5000 miles into it and no quality issues at all.
I will admit to having such a preference for "german built" cars that both times I hesitated when I found out that wasn't the case for these cars. The 02 Jetta was good for more then 300K miles, and it had some issues early on. Hope I've dodged the early issues and still get the 300K miles. Overall I've come to believe you can't pre judge based on where the car is assembled.