Why did you [should I] buy a new diesel vs gasser.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
Four years ago I bought a mk4 golf tdi to reduce my fuel consumption, not necessarily to save money, but that was a close second. I really enjoy driving the car, but would like one in better condition. Test drove an mk7 but having a difficult time justifying buying a diesel when some non-hybrid gassers get similar cost/mile fuel consumption. If I drove 20K miles or more annually I wouldn't hesitate, but in the last five years I've only averaged driving 11,700 miles/yr. So what was it about the new diesel that sold you. Is low end torque really worth the extra cost.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
let's assume that cost per mile works out about the same, and that extra purchase cost is made up for in higher resale value. I've done plenty of calculations that show these two things to be reasonable, depending on your particular input parameters. The things I like better about the TDI than TSI Golf are:

Better range ( though not as awesome as the passat)
more attractive transmission options (DSG and 6-speed )
torque

Of course there are tradeoffs with the TDI, most obvious probably the torsion beam rear susp, and diesel pumps being filthy places. :)

scottydog

TDI
2015 Passat SE DSG
The extra cost and added resale of the tdi as mentioned is a wash. If you do a lot of highway miles the tdi is a good option vs hybrid or gasser. Not huge savings but enough to be an option. If you do almost all short trips the tdi may have long term problems so go gasser.

If you have mostly highway or mixed usage and you like the torque get a tdi. It's really an enthusiast's car.

And of course with the diesel you get to hang out on tdiclub.com!

2002_tdinut

TDI
Looking for a new TDI ...
The extra cost and added resale of the tdi as mentioned is a wash. If you do a lot of highway miles the tdi is a good option vs hybrid or gasser. Not huge savings but enough to be an option. If you do almost all short trips the tdi may have long term problems so go gasser.

If you have mostly highway or mixed usage and you like the torque get a tdi. It's really an enthusiast's car.

:D:cool:

Nice!

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW

+1

In addition to this, I'm a 25k a year driver. Bought it with 25k on it on Black Friday 2013 and serviced it Black Friday 2014 at a hair over 50k. All this to say, I'm at the bottom end of annual mileage to justify a TDI, IMO. I interrupt a regen from time to time, but it would happen a lot more often if I lived closer to town. And that's something to avoid if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Four years ago I bought a mk4 golf tdi to reduce my fuel consumption, not necessarily to save money, but that was a close second. I really enjoy driving the car, but would like one in better condition. Test drove an mk7 but having a difficult time justifying buying a diesel when some non-hybrid gassers get similar cost/mile fuel consumption. If I drove 20K miles or more annually I wouldn't hesitate, but in the last five years I've only averaged driving 11,700 miles/yr. So what was it about the new diesel that sold you. Is low end torque really worth the extra cost.
Using the exact same logic, why would you NOT want to just hold onto the MK IV Golf TDI ? You have been, are and (hopefully) remain where you wish to be/go? Plus you have 45 to 50 mpg fuel consumption ALREADY (unmodified) It is apparent where you are WITH mods? ! What is holding you back from putting the Golf in oem condition?

Last edited:

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
Using the exact same logic, why would you NOT want to just hold onto the MK IV Golf TDI ? You have been, are and (hopefully) remain where you wish to be/go? Plus you have 45 to 50 mpg fuel consumption ALREADY (unmodified) It is apparent where you are WITH mods? !

And another good point. Even if you have some pricey breakdowns, you'd still be saving money vs a car payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
I picked the TDI over gasser because not only does it have more torque and the power when you need it, but it also gets good mpg. I also work on Freightliners for a living so I just been sucked into the diesel world for quite a while.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
and that extra purchase cost is made up for in higher resale value.

Of course there are tradeoffs with the TDI, most obvious probably the torsion beam rear susp, :)
Good point about the resale value that I didn't consider.
I don't know what your torsion beam rear suspension comment means.

If you do almost all short trips the tdi may have long term problems so go gasser. If you have mostly highway or mixed usage and you like the torque get a tdi. It's really an enthusiast's car.

Good points to remember when I get out of my transition situation.

Using the exact same logic, why would you NOT want to just hold onto the MK IV Golf TDI ? You have been, are and (hopefully) remain where you wish to be/go? Plus you have 45 to 50 mpg fuel consumption ALREADY (unmodified) It is apparent where you are WITH mods? ! What is holding you back from putting the Golf in oem condition?
I've spent too much money fixing up that car already. As I said, I want somehting nicer; as in looks nicer, it quiter on the highway and more comfortable. I'm not one of those guys who enjoys working on cars. I don't mind routine maintenance and some small upgrades, but don't want it to be a hobby.

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Buy a TSI. I'm getting 29 mpg out of my GTI and loving it. Will be hard to go back to a diesel when that decision comes.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
..as previously mentioned: dipping into the broad torque band, the decent shift-gated 6M (plus using an easy to modulate clutch (obvious engagement-- friction -- point) are great.

The cargo capability (same area - albeit covered - as the late VW diesel PU the JSW has replaced).

Again, (previously mentioned) - - the bodacious freeway fuel economy potential...........

.....plus the new car smell, the six disc CD (full of Boston); the striking whiteness (outside and inside), the resale value (we'll see how the newest generation plays out)

it's all good.

ez sends

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
With a TDI you get torque of a V6 engine with awesome fuel economy. Plus you can load the car with 5 adults and a full trunk and you will hardly feel the extra load. Remember the TDI's easly meet the advertised fuel economy while the gassers do not. Should you opt for a GTI then you will be required to run premium fuel which runs about the same price as Diesel. Then you get 40% worse fuel economy on fuel that costs the same. Test drive both.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I don't know what your torsion beam rear suspension comment means.
The TDI has a torsion beam rear suspension, because of the extra constraints imposed by the AdBlue system. The TSI and GTI have multi-link independent rear suspension, generally considered to be superior for ride and handling. There is some debate on this forum whether or not the difference is noticeable under normal driving conditions, so you can search for that if you like. I just wanted to mention that as a difference between the TDI and gasser Golfs.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
The AdBlue has a tank underneath that takes up a good amount of real estate in the space the IRS would be.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
As for fuel economy, keep in mind you can't compare the EPA estimates. Gasser usually do worse and disels do equal or better. Go have a look at fuelly.com to see some real world results.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
As for fuel economy, keep in mind you can't compare the EPA estimates. Gasser usually do worse and disels do equal or better. Go have a look at fuelly.com to see some real world results.
Right, a quick look right now at the most common (i.e. mode) FE reported for both types of 2015 golf:

TSI: 30 mpg (EPA Combined = 29-30)
TDI: 40 mpg (EPA Combined = 36)

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Having/Driving a TDI is peace of mind, with $2.50 per gallon diesel and good MPG I never think about what it will cost to go anywhere I just jump in and go! :) Looking forward to a sportwagen here soon.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
I hate to bring this up but is the HPFP issue resolved for these TDI's?
I guess it is too early to tell. The cars with new design engine have been around for about 9 months only.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I hate to bring this up but is the HPFP issue resolved for these TDI's?
Yes and no ! There have been (in arrears) 800 cases of a 241,000+ population or a tad less than 1/3 of 1%. So if the expectation is 100% , NO !

Cases right now going forward should be resolved under warranty or out of warranty on a case by case basis.

itsjonduhh

TDI
Golf TDI S (one day)
i'm having the same dilemma going back and forth between a tsi lease and a tdi lease next year :(

i would probably do less than 10k a year, but would like to take weekend trips. also with probably 80% city driving i feel like i'd be butchering a tdi's break-in period... and i can't live with that!

pro's would be much better mpg's highway, dsg (going to learn stick sometime this year) and nicer alloys. the base tsi wheels are pretty sad imo.

con's like stated above, bad break-in, frequent regen's, etc.

someone talk me out of it! been a golf fan since the mk4's so i'm set on a golf :D

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Don't lease a diesel. And if it's a lease who cares about the break in? Don't lease with the intent to buy as you will pay extra.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
I'm looking hard at the 2015 Outback, but will wait to see if I move out west before buying anything. Much more expensive than a Golf, but will sell my truck too. One car with all-wheel drive and really good mpg.

itsjonduhh

TDI
Golf TDI S (one day)
Don't lease a diesel. And if it's a lease who cares about the break in? Don't lease with the intent to buy as you will pay extra.
hmm... most likely wouldn't buy after the lease. there's a lease special at a dealer near me for $139/month, 36months, 10k/year, $3k down. i did the calculations and after taxes i think it comes to around $7k. not too too bad. but the tsi lease is $129/month i think.

it's kind of a problem that i'm overly courteous thinking about the next buyer. i would hate to be the buyer of a 'certified pre-owned' tdi that had a careless/clueless lessee drive it the first 30k.

Ford_6L_E350

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI - sold the 13 TDI
I sold my TDI and am in a GTI. With the few miles I drive (~12K/yr) the fuel cost isn't a big deal. And the GTI has more power. The TDI wasn't really happy running around town while the GTI is.

I'm happy with my choice.

Mike

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Same reason I sold my Passat. I drive about 120 miles a week, and that's only on weekends. Public transit M-F to work. I have a chipped GTI, and as long as I keep my foot out of it mileage isn't too bad. Great highway cruiser now that the soundaktor noisemaker has been disabled. The new MQB platform is so tight and precise compared to past Golf's and Passat's that I've owned.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I've been owning and driving DIESEL cars since 2002. Very soon after "converting" to diesel you realize that owning anything that runs on gasoline no longer make sense. All future vehicle purchases of mine shall be DIESEL vehicles. No more gassers! :)

Fundamentally, I choose to drive a DIESEL car for the rich blend of Economy, Longevity, Performance, TORQUE, and Efficiency. :cool:

I'm a 55k mile/year driver. A gasser is not a an option for me.

itsjonduhh

TDI
Golf TDI S (one day)
I sold my TDI and am in a GTI. With the few miles I drive (~12K/yr) the fuel cost isn't a big deal. And the GTI has more power. The TDI wasn't really happy running around town while the GTI is.
I'm happy with my choice.
Mike
Same reason I sold my Passat. I drive about 120 miles a week, and that's only on weekends. Public transit M-F to work. I have a chipped GTI, and as long as I keep my foot out of it mileage isn't too bad. Great highway cruiser now that the soundaktor noisemaker has been disabled. The new MQB platform is so tight and precise compared to past Golf's and Passat's that I've owned.
very cool. i especially relate to you, thunderstruck. i like to believe the first car i own will be a diesel. but for now, between mostly city driving, public transit M-F, and a lease... i'll go with the TSI. goodbye for now tdi club :(

Last edited:

AlexNJ

TDI
MK7 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG (sold back to VW 12/2016)
I've been owning and driving DIESEL cars since 2002. Very soon after "converting" to diesel you realize that owning anything that runs on gasoline no longer make sense. All future vehicle purchases of mine shall be DIESEL vehicles. No more gassers!(...)
This is my first diesel-powered vehicle and between the fuel and the transmission (DSG), this vehicle has been quite a change from all the gas-powered automatics I've owned. I've been asked quite a few times by friends what I thought, to which my reply has been "I don't think I ever want to drive anything other than a diesel ever again." Now that the weather is warming up and my fuel economy is getting even better (and the car is more broken in), that feeling has only solidified. No more gassers for me.