Why bother to accept a buy back?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
It's almost as if the engineers asked, "Can we make changing the oil filter suck just a little more?" :D

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The oil filter location makes me want to keep the older TDI instead of the newer one.
Follow me to the dark side......buy a GTI! :D

The oil filter's still topside.

The GTI has a plastic oil pan, with a plastic drain plug that comes out with a turn of a screwdriver, and stays on the screwdriver instead of dropping into the oil, if you do a traditional drain. And you don't have to remove the belly pan. I'm going to do a 'traditional' drain the first time. Despite the fact that the GTI actually has a good 5" of clearance, I will probably get a skidplate.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Easy to find, but a total PITA to change... messy, too: https://youtu.be/lJSFG6ko3oc
It's almost as if the engineers asked, "Can we make changing the oil filter suck just a little more?" :D
This is pretty much what I think of that design...

Follow me to the dark side......buy a GTI! :D

The oil filter's still topside.

The GTI has a plastic oil pan, with a plastic drain plug that comes out with a turn of a screwdriver, and stays on the screwdriver instead of dropping into the oil, if you do a traditional drain. And you don't have to remove the belly pan. I'm going to do a 'traditional' drain the first time. Despite the fact that the GTI actually has a good 5" of clearance, I will probably get a skidplate.
I like the way you think :cool:

But, yeah, the mk7 need a belly pan. Aftermarket has a bigger/better aluminum oil pan that has cooling fins on it. I believe it adds 1 extra quart of oil capacity as well :cool:

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Holy crap. That is a show stopper for me. No friggin way would I crawl around in grease and filth and remove all that crap for an oil change. His first oil change on a clean car in the summer looks tricky but I'm imagining me in my unheated garage mid winter with salt, melting snow and road grime dripping down my arm and the fit of rage I'd have.

Guess that puts new TDI out for me.:p

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
CBEA/CJAA oil filter location is just one more reason for me not to bother and take a buy back!! :D

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
Wrap it in paper towels and no mess. With the proper length socket extension, I find it quite easy.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Oil change from the top with a Pela and the filter lives right there too.
250,000 miles on a 2009 - 25 oil changes
60,000 miles on a 2013 - 6 oil changes all from the top.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Here is a reason to at least consider a buyback; the price offered may
represent the highest price you will ever be able to get for your car.
So you are walking down the street with your wife and a man offers you a
lot of money for your wife, an "indecent proposal", and this amount is likely
the best offer, most you will ever get for her... err never mind scratch that
analogy scenario.

Look if you don't want to sell, it does not matter, unless they offer ludicrous
value well beyond what it is worth, for the car (not the wife of course)....

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
A wife is a lifetime commitment. A car is not.

If they offer me what I paid for it plus 5k I think I'd be crazy not to take it. If on the other hand I was driving 2-3k miles per month I'd probably want to keep the car because of the lower fuel costs and that I could likely get at least 300-500 miles from it :cool:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
If they offer me what I paid for it plus 5k I think I'd be crazy not to take it.
Unlikely generous high end prediction.

Expect fair market value at time of discovery of "dieselgate", plus maybe $500 or $1000. No more. And fair market value will be less than you expect. In fact, you will do better on the private market, even after the announcement. Forget what you paid for it.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Unlikely generous high end prediction.

Expect fair market value at time of discovery of "dieselgate", plus maybe $500 or $1000. No more. And fair market value will be less than you expect. In fact, you will do better on the private market, even after the announcement. Forget what you paid for it.
Well I did buy it used back in early 2014. With taxes and fees it was around $20k.

These are all wishful thinking for the likes of threadzilla, but I did say *if*. *IF* they do something like that, and they did say it would be a generous offer to avoid as many lawsuits as possible.

I believe vw did set aside $16B... *IF* all that is going to us the owners for a buyback all you gotta do is devide that up by 500,000 (roughly the number still on the road). That would be around $32,000 per car.

Okay, okay... that's really a stretch since I'm pretty sure some of that will be used for fixing current cars. Wishful thinking until we have the full story in June or July.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I did buy it used back in early 2014. With taxes and fees it was around $20k.
These are all wishful thinking for the likes of threadzilla, but I did say *if*. *IF* they do something like that, and they did say it would be a generous offer to avoid as many lawsuits as possible.
I believe vw did set aside $16B... *IF* all that is going to us the owners for a buyback all you gotta do is devide that up by 500,000 (roughly the number still on the road). That would be around $32,000 per car.
Okay, okay... that's really a stretch since I'm pretty sure some of that will be used for fixing current cars. Wishful thinking until we have the full story in June or July.
Oh. Did you buy it at a dealership? I haven't considered whether TDIs purchased used would be included. Will TDIs bought through private sales be included? If they are, a Bill of Sale will be required, I imagine.

In these cases, value last Summer when DG was revealed could be low-balled.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I think the offers from VW will be generous. I expect to get a guaranteed price higher han KBB plus coupons for additional money if I buy another VW. Dealers have really been hurt by this issue, and VW needs to do something to help them. I expect to get at least $9.5K for my car plus $3,000 additional if I buy another VW.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I have a 2013 jetta tdi.

I had had a interest in VW diesels for years, based on all the reports of people getting close to or over 50 mpg in them. I just never pulled the trigger because I felt like VW cars in general were not built as well as Japanese cars.... I had heard the VW's of the 1990's and early 2000's were full of electrical problems and other issues.

I do alot of driving with my car. I actually don't even use it for work, I own a lawnservice business and drive a Tundra towing a big trailer for work on a daily basis... But on the weekends I like to ride and race my dirtbikes, and most rides and races are 200-400 miles away from home round trip. I had a series of small economical cars over the years, that I set up with a hitch to pull a lightweight trailer with one or two dirtbikes on. A toyota Echo, Corolla, Camry, A volvo 940, A honda Accord.

I finally decided in early 2014 to pull the trigger on a VW, because I wanted over 30 mpg towing. I had thought about even a hybrid of some sort, maybe a prius, but they don't have alot of torque once the battery is depleted. I felt like the TDI would fit the bill with the V6 like torque and prius like MPG numbers. I finally found a sweet deal on a 4 month old 2013 Jetta, a private seller had on craigslist. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, he wanted a jeep and instead of trading in the car he listed it himself... But for some dumb reason he listed it at a price LOWER than KBB trade in value. I jumped on it before someone else could get it and ended up with a mint condition 4 month old TDI with around 8000 miles for 18 grand even.

When I bought it, I was very concerned about the potential costs of ownership. Knowing the transmission would be pricey to service or repair.... the fuel injection system, the turbo, timing belt, etc.... PLUS, my perception of VW's having crappy electrics and possibly having window motors go out or problems with the HVAC system etc.... So my plan was to only keep the car till 60 thousand miles then sell it. That way its all covered under warranty and I have little risk and at least back in 2014, a used TDI still held a ton of resale value at 60-70K, only seeming to drop much in value once they were over 100K. After driving the car since early 2014, It has been solid, dependable and trouble free ( other than a fuel level gauge that even if you fill the tank to the point of fuel all the way to the cap, won't display more than 7/8s full. ) I figured I might keep it a little longer. Maybe to 100K. But honestly, with all the potential repair costs I could be facing, And with fuel being somewhat cheaper these days, I would not be sad to let go of the car if VW offers to buy it back.

So I would consider accepting a buy back. Not because I don't like the car, but because I was afraid of the costs of Long time ownership as it is... And IF and only if, VW's buy back offer is very generous and I feel it would be the most id be able to ever sell the car for, I would take it and run. Ive heard people say the offer will be the Pre scandal KKB private party price PLUS 5 grand. Now honestly that sounds too good to be true... but with that kind of offer they can have the car back for sure.
Once its gone, I am done with VW for a while. I have ZERO interest in a gas powered VW. It could be totally ignorant, but I still have a perceived view of VW not making vehicles on par with the Japanese makers in terms of reliability. I also have somewhat of a itch for a " performance " vehicle of some sort. I have never owned a " BadAss " car ever... I may look into a late model mustang or camero, or possibly a BMW 335i or 535i. Or, if my inner cheapness and thriftiness for mpg savings wins out, I have strong interest in the newest models of the Honda Accord hybrid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d2bReUUbkE

JD_TDI

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M
I'll admit I have considered a buy back. My needs have changed since I bought the vehicle and I live 3 miles from work now. I also live in an area that doesn't require emissions on diesels so unless the State mandated a fix for registration (and the fix lobotomizes the way the car drives, mileage, etc) I'll likely keep it. There is nothing out there in this segment with a manual that fits my needs for the money.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Oh. Did you buy it at a dealership? I haven't considered whether TDIs purchased used would be included. Will TDIs bought through private sales be included? If they are, a Bill of Sale will be required, I imagine.
In these cases, value last Summer when DG was revealed could be low-balled.
I bought it from a Fiat dealer of all places :D

The good news is that it's one of MANY that the group owns... 76 Franchises, 40 Dealerships, 29 Brands :eek:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
sustained FE under pressure!

Hectic May with events at kids schools and other issues, and I've been forced to drive much more aggressively more often on this tank.

But just tanked up and to my amazement over 40mpg!

Specifically, 563 miles on 14 gallons. All stop and go city miles with A/C on half the time.

Yet another reason not to bother and accept a buyback!

Rhys

TDI
JettaSportsWagon
Here is how I see it....

Everyone talks about the FMV before the scandal.

The fraud was perpetrated at the Time of Sale. Why does the date that VW got caught enter to the equation???

They ONLY way they are getting my car back is FULL MSRP back to me.

I believe that people underestimate the type of people who love and drive TDI's :)

If VW expects 90% compliance, they better pull down their pants and write the checks.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
The date of the scandal and afterward is when the value of the cars tanked. That's why. Dream on if you think anyone will get full MSRP. They don't owe anyone for miles driven and/or normal wear and tear.

Rhys

TDI
JettaSportsWagon
Why Bother to accept a buyback

The date of the scandal and afterward is when the value of the cars tanked. That's why. Dream on if you think anyone will get full MSRP. They don't owe anyone for miles driven and/or normal wear and tear.
I hear what you are saying, but again, I think they underestimate the type of people who own TDI's

That formula will not get me to turn the car in.

If they want 90% compliance, I do not believe they will get it until the deal is too good to walk away from. They certainly will not get mine using that math.

The true variable is whether the states will block registrations if you don't comply.

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Full price, or install the tank or code. I'm just going to unplug the tank or overwrite the tune...doesn't matter to me. No emissions for this around me. Thanks CA.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Yup,

If they want 90% compliance, I do not believe they will get it until the deal is too good to walk away from. They certainly will not get mine using that math. The true variable is whether the states will block registrations if you don't comply.
Agreed! I'm sure the salesmen will be salesmen... LOWBALLERS. How bad I want to make a move depends on whether Virginia doesn't allow registration. Sure, VA doesn't require diesel emissions testing. But the TDI now has a black eye that could drive some politition in the wrong place to deny registration for all affected TDIs (it's not only a CA problem).

I'll be glad when the June 21st announcement is finally here. I'd like a good deal on a GTI. But I'd also be very happy to keep my TDI and move on with my life. :)

Scott

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Yup,

Agreed! I'm sure the salesmen will be salesmen... LOWBALLERS. How bad I want to make a move depends on whether Virginia doesn't allow registration. Sure, VA doesn't require diesel emissions testing. But the TDI now has a black eye that could drive some politition in the wrong place to deny registration for all affected TDIs (it's not only a CA problem).

I'll be glad when the June 21st announcement is finally here. I'd like a good deal on a GTI. But I'd also be very happy to keep my TDI and move on with my life. :)

Scott
True statement and seeing how quick the current administration jumped on jacking CCL reciprocity, I guess it's not that hard to imagine. Regardless....will take the fix and then disable.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
If there is a buyback, the price will be determined by VW and federal authorities, not salesmen. And of course it would not be MSRP; you drove the car for thousands of miles.

Anyway, I expect dealers to offer extras to get you to trade your car in for a new VW. That is up to the dealer and it should be interesting to see what you can negotiate.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
fix?

I don't know if there is any certain word from VW about whether a fix will be possible. Perhaps they already know it is possible, but perhaps it cuts significantly into performance (I doubt this), or fuel economy (I think THIS IS likely). If there is any significant hit on performance (power or FE), will there be an incentive to get the fix? Or mandatory? Will it be less than the incentive to sell the car back to VW?

I agree that a buy out is going to be based on value last Summer when the news broke, plus a modest incentive. I suspect that translates to barely as much as the car is worth !!!
If the "fix" is possible, but problematic (above FE or torque), they might increase the incentive for either buy back, and/or the "fix".

But the bottom line is that I own something that may not be available (certainly is not available new right now). In my opinion, that makes it more valuable. But more importantly:
I like it, and if I can't replace it with something with similar or better performance (FE and torque), then any incentive is not going to be very attractive. I just really like the way it performs, and the remarkable FE it delivers.

The only thing that might FORCE me to comply in any manner (fix or buy back) is forced compliance: State refusing to register it without "fix" documentation.

I have to register this December. If there is forced registration, the issue will be on top of me before the end of the year. I will have to re-evaluate!

Last edited:

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
I own two TDI's. My 2011 has 257,000 miles. No idea what they'd offer me but I'd listen. I bought it outright brand new. Runs great. But with that many miles I'd listen.

My 2015 was bought new last July and has 25,000 miles but I have payments. I hope to pay it off by July. Incredible car but I'd listen.

If I could I'd like to get into a GMC Canyon diesel. Pricey though.

This site will be an important tool for me to make an educated decision.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I own two TDI's. My 2011 has 257,000 miles. No idea what they'd offer me but I'd listen. I bought it outright brand new. Runs great. But with that many miles I'd listen.

My 2015 was bought new last July and has 25,000 miles but I have payments. I hope to pay it off by July. Incredible car but I'd listen.

If I could I'd like to get into a GMC Canyon diesel. Pricey though.

This site will be an important tool for me to make an educated decision.
Canyon Diesel is not available in extracab longbox. And that's the only one I'd buy, besides single cab version, which is not available at all. And forget a clutch on most models (A six-speed manual transmission is available on 2WD extended cab SL or base Canyon trim models-NOT on 4WD models at all).

There are (were) Dodge Ecodiesel longbed singlecabs sold for just over $38k last year/year before. Tradesman only. Perfect, except of course, auto transmission. I just found two of them online (Tradesman, white).

But that would be a second vehicle. My first vehicle is a TDI. Not seeing why I should part with it.

Last edited: