Why are TDI swaps so popular? Youtube series

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice! Somehow I hadn't come across any if his vids. They are extremely well done. Jeeps and tdi engines, a marriage made in heaven!

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
Heh, that's my old daily driver! Nate will put that BHW somewhere it belongs, Jeep or otherwise. I'm hoping that rover is the target. Its a nice truck, totally needs a diesel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
He almost lost me when he referred to PDs as common rail. And when he said trains have diesel engines because of the torque. Otherwise looks like decent info. And he is a legit TDI enthusiast, it appears.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe, but VW developed the Pumpe Duse system in part because they didn't want to license common rail technology from Bosch. I don't think people refer to PT Cummins engines as common rail, but perhaps they do somewhere. Not a big deal anyway, he clearly knows his stuff.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Keep in mind, most of his viewers are jeep guys. To a majority of them a pumpe duse is some sort of female hygiene apparatus.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the PD is most certainly NOT a commonrail DFI system. The more "generic" term we would use is "unit injector", but that kinda sorta covers the Caterpillar/Navistar HEUI system too, which instead of a camshaft to work their unit injectors they use super high oil pressure from a separate pump in the middle of the engine.

Older Volvo engines (the big ones, in trucks and machinery) use a PD type unit injector system, and I think there are some smaller single cylinder diesels that do too like the ones used in some Polaris ATVs, although those are prechamber type.

Everything is CR now, though. At least anything that isn't a giant ship engine or something.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
The only runaway I witnessed was a Cat with a HEUI pump, really impressive

Crispy_8V

TDI
Mk1/A1 Golf GTTDI, Mk4 GTDI & Corrado TDI
I love the PD setup, I hate common rail but unfortunately PD just doesn't have the control to effectively mange DPF regens
If your after more TDI stuff my channel https://www.youtube.com/Crispys Projects is coming along slowly
My Corrado PD swap is midway, loads of footage to compile from the summer of the project, then a broken T5 van came my way, so another PD build! :)
I'm aiming for real world high MPG figures in the Corrado, and mk 4 abs/ESP

rebuiling heads are the vids I'm working on as well as the importance of setting up a PD injector :cool::rolleyes: