Why are dealers so uninformed!?!?

MapleGirl

TDI
TBD
When we went to the dealer to buy a Jetta TDI Sedan I asked them about the timing belt. The salesman started to tell me about the chain that is used!!:mad: The dealership's owner was right there and corrected him. Earlier we went in and were told that if we wanted to take advantage of the C4C program we would need to get a voucher from the government and bring it in. Another dealer told us that diesels were not eligiable and still another told us that it was a tax credit! What is up with dealers not knowing their product or business. I've been reading all these posts about dealerships and repair shops screwing up and not knowing about their trade/product. What's going on!?!?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Unfortunately it is all too common. There used to be a line that was circulated around that the glow plugs automatically came on when you opened the door on a VW TDI. This is just more of the same.

There is the C4C program, but there is also a separate tax credit available for these cars. I'm not sure you can combine the two, you'd have to check on that. But they are two separate things.

MapleGirl

TDI
TBD
Yup, the dealer also said that the new diesels don't need to heat up in the winter and don't have glow plugs. From my reading on these boards, it sounds like this is incorrect. The new diesel Jettas do need to warm up, but they only take a couple of seconds. Is this correct? I feel like I can't trust a word the dealers say about the cars.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
You really can't trust them.

Yes it has glowplugs, there is a piggy tail light on the dash -- that's the glow plug light. Don't blink or you will miss it in the summer.

VW recommends start the car and drive, so a few seconds of idling would be about right.

MapleGirl

TDI
TBD
kcfoxie said:
You really can't trust them.

Yes it has glowplugs, there is a piggy tail light on the dash -- that's the glow plug light. Don't blink or you will miss it in the summer.

VW recommends start the car and drive, so a few seconds of idling would be about right.
What about in winter? (Boston winters)

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
because the car salesmen are not car guys. neither are the service advisors. The misconception is still there, the salespersons job is to weasel you into buying the car , such antiquated sales approach.

Years ago I inquired about a VW service advisor job, they questioned about knowing customer service , meaning I would be too honest to liberate customers from their wallet.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
its all about trainning. and dedacation to the product, most salesman dont have a clue as what they are selling, it might as well lbe shoes they are trying to sell you. dealer owners dont want to spend the money on sales training as salesmen dont stay around for to long, its all about the money!!!! when was the last time you boughth a car and the sales rep took the time to explain how the car works and what waranty covers! NO ITS CLOSE THE DEAL AND GET THE CUST OFF THE LOT! this also goes for service techs that dont stay around and try to learn the car. its all about the money!!!!!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I think vw dealers don't want to sell TDI.:( Where i bought my car they had all the gassers up front and used car to and TDI in the back and only had 5 or 6 them. No sticks.:( Service side sucks and stock very little partsI i guess they train one guy he say for a couple of years. Tired of the bs in dealership then opens his owen shop.It takes some time to learn tdi and make money on flate rate.Then the dealer has to train a new guy.I wonder how many tdi the see in a month.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Dimitri16V said:
because the car salesmen are not car guys. neither are the service advisors. The misconception is still there, the salespersons job is to weasel you into buying the car , such antiquated sales approach.

Years ago I inquired about a VW service advisor job, they questioned about knowing customer service , meaning I would be too honest to liberate customers from their wallet.
Yea. Years ago I inquired about a service advisor (manager) position at a VW dealer. I thought I had it in the bag ahead of time because I knew a lot about VWs. Well, I went in for the interview and learned something else; I DID NOT want to be a service advisor. I was told that the service advisor's job was strictly to be the interface between the customer and the mechanic and that the more service I could sell and the less I knew about cars, the better. It was the mechanics' job to know about cars. I do think that may have been the only interview I cut short in my life!

--Nate

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I think the salesman that sold me my 05 Golf split very shortly after. I'm wondering if I may have been his last sale at that dealership. I too was fed the BS line regarding the open door activated GP from another salesman which I believed. Lesson learned, it pays to do your own research.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
In many professions it is required that the employees hold certifications, carry qualifications, pass physical requirements, and generally prove their ability to hold the job at hand. Doctors pass rigorous testing and board certification. Lawyers also pass state Bar exams in order to 'practice' their trade. Aircraft mechanics must hold federal licenses with approvals for their trade, the inspectors must have vision checks and flight safety physicals if they are going operate the aircraft from the cockpit. Pilots have to meet numerous qualifications for the respective airframes that they operate. They have age limits and physical requirements just so they can carry their pilots license.

Jobs such as car salesman require nothing but a pulse. The job requires no education, no formal training of any kind, not even the need for a person of high moral character. Literally, any person that walks off the street can sell cars. Some are better than others,, but there is no minimum standard to be met to get the job. Some people take their jobs seriously and others view it as a paycheck until something better comes along. This is why it's difficult to find competence in the automotive industry. Even the manufacturers have such low standards that it's practically impossible to get satisfaction when a problem arises that requires a trace of thought or a ounce of compassion to resolve.

I fear that many occupations in our society today have lowered their standards in order to find warm bodies to fill the slots. I'm not passing judgement but I really don't think it's appropriate for a bank teller to have spiked hair or black tattoos up the side of their neck. I don't want my dental hygienist to have a ring in her nose or a tongue ring.

Maybe I'm just old fashion but I still expect people to walk the walk if they're going to talk the talk.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ms. Maples, what are we doing with the Prius? Did you resolve that?

MapleGirl said:
What about in winter? (Boston winters)
Guys, come on, the newer diesels have supplemental (resistance) heating which is a big benefit in a colder climate.

Yes, the cars are still fitted with glo plugs.

Ms. Maples, I don't know if you've ever owned a VW product, but you may be in for some serious revelations :D when dealing with the dealer !

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
dieseldorf said:
And boy are they ever fast! Nothing compared to the old IDI cars... and about twice as fast as the VE pump car's glow times! Even in the dead of winter you won't wait more then a moment for the light to go out.

-Jason

MapleGirl

TDI
TBD
dieseldorf said:
Ms. Maples, what are we doing with the Prius? Did you resolve that?

Guys, come on, the newer diesels have supplemental (resistance) heating which is a big benefit in a colder climate.

Ms. Maples, I don't know if you've ever owned a VW product, but you may be in for some serious revelations :D when dealing with the dealer !
Never owned a VW before. Not looking forward to dealing with the 'services' the dealership offers. I would do the stuff myself, but I'm too lazy.

Honestly, I've never been into cars before. I've become interested and excited about the TDI since reading this board. This is the first car that I'm actually excited to get. Everything else was just a means of getting from point A to point B.

I was able to sell the Prius via craigslist. Driving a cheesy Accent until Friday.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MapleGirl said:
Never owned a VW before. Not looking forward to dealing with the 'services' the dealership offers. I would do the stuff myself, but I'm too lazy.

Honestly, I've never been into cars before. I've become interested and excited about the TDI since reading this board. This is the first car that I'm actually excited to get. Everything else was just a means of getting from point A to point B.

I was able to sell the Prius via craigslist. Driving a cheesy Accent until Friday.
Good to hear about the Prius.

It pleases me that you are listening and picking up on the critical cues that are associated with VW dealerships. These guys are NOT kidding when they warn against using the dealer...even when "free". There are plenty of folks here that won't even return to the dealership for in-warranty repairs. That's how bad it is :eek: Please be aware of this.

Somebody once said that 'buying a VW is kinda like buying a new car with no warranty'. The parent company and the dealer services have much room for improvement. Their ranking can only go up, right:

Think positive !! :)

Good luck, Ms. Maples. Let us know what else is going on. Ohh, and check AAA for extended warranty plans...they've got some real deals.

MapleGirl

TDI
TBD
Is there a spreadsheet that lists what needs to be checked/replaced at x miles/time? I'd like this car to last for a while and I know that I'll need to treat it nicely for that to happen.

I'll admit, I'm really nervous about buying a VW with all the problems I read about their cars. :eek:

I'd like to know what I can do to keep the car running well. Should I just go by what the manual lists or is there more that I can do?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
For what I dislike about the dealer, I can't imagine having another car.

I can't wait for my TDI to be back on the road. Come on Apex Tuning, get on it with the EGR delete!

MapleGirl

TDI
TBD
Another question: If I decide to bring my TDI back to the dealer for an oil change or whatever, what questions should I ask the service people? I was (kind of) kidding with the whole written test thing..... But I would like to ask some informed questions to make sure that are treating my car right (using the correct oil and such).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ya know, I looked for the 2009 maintenance schedule for somebody a couple of weeks ago and it was nowhere to be found. Maybe they've posted it now...the cars have only been out for 1 year ;)

Here's what the '03 schedule looks like to give an idea:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Ask the dealer for a copy of the maintenance schedule, it's printed in the handbook.

This thread would be a good starting point regarding the VW "Carefree" oil changes: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252373 (Thank you Google)

If I had to advise:

-Ask them what specification VW Oil is to be used on your car (if they say anything other than 507.00, correct them)

-Ask them if 507 comes in bottles or in drums (if they say drums, correct them)

If they give you ANY grief, go over to the service counter and ask for the oil and then call the manager over and tell him this is the oil to be used (highlight this in the owners manual and have that with you) and demand they use it and keep the empty bottles for your record.

By the second change, assuming the writer hasn't been fired or quit, they will know you and your car and how anal retentive you are -- and will do it right.

Also, VW got "cheap" in a lot of respects with the upkeep for 09s. Such as 6 years regardless of mileage pollen filters, hogwash, that's a $40 filter you replace every 40k miles or every year, usually every year.

Always ask questions on here, we will guide you to answers that either answer the question or let you draw your own conclusion.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
dieseldorf said:
Good to hear about the Prius.

It pleases me that you are listening and picking up on the critical cues that are associated with VW dealerships. These guys are NOT kidding when they warn against using the dealer...even when "free". There are plenty of folks here that won't even return to the dealership for in-warranty repairs. That's how bad it is :eek: Please be aware of this.

Somebody once said that 'buying a VW is kinda like buying a new car with no warranty'. The parent company and the dealer services have much room for improvement. Their ranking can only go up, right:

Think positive !! :)

Good luck, Ms. Maples. Let us know what else is going on. Ohh, and check AAA for extended warranty plans...they've got some real deals.
Well, VW did beat Suzuki!:rolleyes:

--Nate

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Good luck with your purchase MapleGirl. Geographically speaking, you are in a very good area. One of our best TDI minds and wrenches is in Braintree. I would suggest getting in contact with him once you get your car and consider having him do the maintenance on it. When you have warranty repair work, he could also be a good sounding board (in addition to the forum here) to verify what they are doing and whether it is correct or not. I'm sure there is more than one VW dealer in your area, one may be better than the others and Chris could have some insight into this as well.

Kraftwerke
10 Rex dr.
Braintree, MA 02184
(781) 849-5888 Chris Hill aka MRCHILL
http://www.kraftwerke1.com

Also, pay attention for any GTG's coming up in your area. Maybe even bring your new baby on a road trip down to D.C. and attend TDIfest and geek out with a bunch of other TDI owners. You will learn a lot.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
When the time comes for mine, I will use a laminated card attached right next to the oil fill that reads something to the effect of only 507 castrol 4.1 liters or 'nuttin.

Draza

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 00, Black
MonsterTDI09 said:
How about this have a big sine drop down when he opens the hood.It said I am watch you keep it clean do it righ or don't bother :mad: and give him oil info
Transalation: How about having a big sign drop down when the mechanic opens the hood. The sign would read " I'm watching you so keep it clean and do it right or don't bother". Also, give him the oil specs. you want them to use. :p

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
FYI: the part about glow plugs turning on when the door opens is something that was installed on older IDI units. Their glow plugs took so long to heat up that it was determined that it would be better to key them off the driver's door than to wait for the ignition key.

If you are being told this still, then it is due to the person telling that they have not kept up with current data on the subject unit.

And there's periodic GTGs, 2 or 3 times a year, in southern NH. Several people from the Boston area are regular attendees.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
If I ever get work done at a shop (which I probably won't do anymore! Bad experiences even with shops that CLAIM to know German cars..ugh! Long story), I ALWAYS bring my parts. I don't let them pick the parts for me because they'll either pic the wrong ones, or use cheap OEM replacements. I'd rather know that I supplied them with the right tools to do the job. Just hopefully you get the right set of hands and brain to do it for you.

But now, my work is done by trusted TDI guru's from here only! I don't know if I'll ever take my car back to a shop, even for simple things like wheel bearings (cause they screwed that up too...). So thanks to this site, I've probably saved myself a LOT of headache and repair money! :)

And nothing better, as a female, to know more about your TDI than the mechanic....lol They hate it, and if that's the case, I ask for my car back.

matt.m

TDI
2003 NB
I'd rather know that I supplied them with the right tools to do the job.
Good idea for those shops who may not know your car. But if the parts you provide fail, the mechanic can't guarantee the parts and file a claim. You have to. Just a thought.

Looking at the scheduled maintenance, what do we use to lube the sunroof frame? Curious.