Who's waiting on someone to make a Mk5 downpipe?

Will you buy an aftermarket downpipe (catted of catless) for your Mk5?

• I will buy as soon as they are available

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • I will buy sometime from a few months to a year after release

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • I will not be upgrading my downpipe on my Mk5

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I know I've been waiting for months for someone to make a downpipe for our Mk5 cars. Trying to get a number on how many others are also in the same boat, so maybe we can show the manufacturers the amount of potential interest in this part.

EDIT: These are about to me made, send me a pm if you want one!

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Bob S. said:
Isn't one of the vendors working on one. I thought something was in the works.
I hope more than one of them are. I believe two companies are, but all I keep hearing is the same thing, 'next month'.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I am waiting, I may just remove mine and make one, its not that tough. I have already hacked my exhaust, ask Dave.

If someone doesn't get one out soon, I may take a stab at it and make a run of 10 or so, I have customers that want them.

I would have already made them, however I also heard 2 people working on them and they were due out 'any minute now'.

I heard it last year..I wished I had jumped on it then.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Mach1 said:
I am waiting, I may just remove mine and make one, its not that tough. I have already hacked my exhaust, ask Dave.

If someone doesn't get one out soon, I may take a stab at it and make a run of 10 or so, I have customers that want them.

I would have already made them, however I also heard 2 people working on them and they were due out 'any minute now'.

I heard it last year..I wished I had jumped on it then.
I contacted an employee of boostlogic about this today. They make downpipes for the fastest supras in the world. Literally. I dont think anyone doubts their quality.

They said if there are 10 people that will do it right now, they'll do it.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Perhaps one of the tuners can jump in here and tell the membership what we can expect to gain by installing a downpipe on the A5 cars.
Is there a benefit if you don't have a tune/chip yet?
If so, how much of a benefit?
How much hp/tq gain if we DO already have a tune/chip?
Can we upgrade the DP first and the turbo later without having to buy yet another DP?
Does a DP include the flex portion?
Does a DP have any effect on overboost/limp mode likelyhood?

Do I want one? hell yes!

Bill

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
On the A5, the turbo exhausts directly into the catalyst through a short and direct pipe. The so-called "downpipe" including the flex pipe is after the catalyst ... unless someone is eliminating the catalyst, and that's not cool ...

I wouldn't expect much performance benefit from changing that on the A5 cars, the stock intake and exhaust on the A5's seems pretty well designed.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
GoFaster is right... that said though, it can always be better right! :D Ie: more flow.. I have no problem with running a well made 2.5" or 3" down pipe + a high flow performance Cat too as long as it is designed well and has sufficient flex length too.

Below is a pic of the downpipe coming off the turbo. Second pic already starts to show the pipe expanding and the start of the Cat right after the turbo.... Last pic is the Cat going downward. Then there is more piping a bend or so and the flex pipe. All in all it looks pretty good for OEM.

Mach1

TDI
Theres alot of improvement there for a DP..

I dont mind a rigid one, I dont mind an 'offroad' design as well.

A larger diameter, shorter, mandrell bent, w or w/o cat, but with a O2 bung.

SS of course.

I still say if its going to be another year, then I will hack my own..

tdiluva

TDI
2006.5 DSG Special Edition
I would love to have one! Number one improvement would be lower EGT's, increasing diameter and moving the cat more downstream again reducing temps.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
velociT said:
Yeah it's a decent design, but I'm looking for 2.5-3" w/out a cat. :D
Trust me I want one too. But I think I will get a 3" high flow cat.... maybe not, never know. ;)

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Since 10 people voted they'd buy right away, I will take this to Boostlogic tomorrow. I should be able to post a price after my conversation with them. I guess at that point whoever is interested, PM me.

Mach1

TDI
V, make sure they have the o2 bung in it. Ask about an offroad one for my racing Jetta.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
They more than likely will be offroad with an option for a high flow cat, like the board vendors offer for mkiv cars. I should have a price within 24 hrs.

Keep PM'ing me all who voted who want one now!

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
mdfirefighter said:
Do we have the final specs yet? Size, length, price, etc....
I talked to them again today. All downpipes will be 3", and will include the O2 bung, and flex pipe. They are estimating the cost to be somewhere around $350 - 400. These are going to be of very high quality.

My car is going to their shop first thing next week to get a prototype made.

Anyone who wants one, PM me if you havent already!! More orders = cheaper price!

Sean

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
velociT said:
I talked to them again today. All downpipes will be 3", and will include the O2 bung, and flex pipe. They are estimating the cost to be somewhere around $350 - 400. These are going to be of very high quality.

My car is going to their shop first thing next week to get a prototype made.

Anyone who wants one, PM me if you havent already!! More orders = cheaper price!

Sean
:eek:.....ouch

Well that said I think I am still in lol....

Did you get an idea on the grade they will use? SS? Heck they better look very nice and smooth though. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Hopefully we get enough people in to get the cost at or below $350.

Steve

Mach1

TDI
I am still interested, thats not too bad a price, depending on SS or mild and how well it fits..

V, stay in touch, or post here.

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've got an appointment tomorrow with the same guy who did my cat-back to see about a downpipe... aluminized with bung... that is, if he can do it.
I was going to take the oem downpipe off and run it to him to copy, but he wants the whole car.
We'll see, I will let everyone know how it goes and post a youtube vid of the sound.

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
SootHappens said:
I've got an appointment tomorrow with the same guy who did my cat-back to see about a downpipe... aluminized with bung... that is, if he can do it.
I was going to take the oem downpipe off and run it to him to copy, but he wants the whole car.
We'll see, I will let everyone know how it goes and post a youtube vid of the sound
Oh yeah, you better believe vids will be posted :D .

After they finish my car, it's getting driven straight to a muffler shop and will get 3" the rest of the way back.

Guys this is still on, starts first thing next week. If you're just reading this for the first time, PM me, it's not too late. They will be quality SS!

Last edited:

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
velociT said:
Oh yeah, you better believe vids will be posted :D .

After they finish my car, it's getting driven straight to a muffler shop and will get 3" the rest of the way back.

Guys this is still on, starts first thing next week. If you're just reading this for the first time, PM me, it's not too late. They will be quality SS!
Some pics of it fabed up would be great once it is made. Ohh yea and the video clips with sound would be great :cool:

Waiting patiently :D, well kind of lol...

EDIT: BTW once it is final and priced how are we going to pay and get them? Will they ship them, or where is the shop located for pick up? Thanks!

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
SB-you up for one..I believe the shop is here in town(Austin), you do want to see them before you buy? You can hold one in your hand..Give you a chance to come back up..I bet V would even let you see it first handed..

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I'll post and pm everybody on the list updates. Payment options will also be PM'ed to those on the list when we get to that point.

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Got a DP installed today... nothing fancy, but gets the job done... 2.5" aluminized, reused the stock flex-pipe..

Here are some photos of the stock downpipe removed from the car:

And some photos of the "rediculously cheap" downpipe my exhaust guy made:

Installed:

Sound is incredible... not much louder overall, but you can really hear the turbo whistle a lot more. Butt dyno shows positive results.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
Most excellent Soot!!!

Just what I was planning to hack on mine..Dave you out there?

I would have done just a little different on the pipe, I am going to do mandrel bent..Dont care on the SS or aluminized.

I bet you got out of there cheap!!

I bet it woke it up, was it 3" and how far back did you go?

We are going to do 3" dp and 3" back..4" tip..