Who's trying to buy a Dieselgate TDI?

dj7373

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (5 speed), 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
So was in the market for a new TDI when the stuff hit the fan as they say. I put off looking at anything else for a while b/c I really wanted a new TDI wagon. I couldn't wait any more after seeing and driving the alltrack so I put a deposit down on a manual alltrack.

Fast forward to today and I stopped by my local VW dealership to talk with the sales manager I've been working with to 1) See what my alltrack status is and 2) what/when I could get a TDI wagon.

I got lucky and the VWoA rep was there to answer some questions.
-no hard date on when they can start selling the 2016's in port.
-They would not give me a 100% on getting a 2015 they they have on the lot b/c the rep said they could still tack back all the "new" 2015's still sitting on lots.

So anyone else trying to buy a new TDI??

rbreding

TDI
2015 JSEL (buyback) 2015 PSEL (buyback) 2016 328d (keeper)
I think there are loads that are trying to buy one and loads of dealers posting "fake" listings for ones for sale.

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
A Palm Beach dealer has TDI's still posted on cars.com. I sent an inquery just to have a predictable reply sayin that they couldn't sell them, but we'll be happy to sell a gasser. I believe they call that lead generation.

I am interested in a diesel gate car, and have sent inquirers out to all my local dealerships. Rick Case replied that they don't have any TDIs, which I find hard to believe as they tout themselves of beng the biggest....

Two others are looking into my proposition if they can take my deposit to tie a unit up as it waits on its prescribed fix.

I am a gluten for punishment.

dj7373

Veteran Member
TDI
My dealer wasn't trying to bate and switch me, ik that they couldn't sell them. But he did show me his list of 2015 TDIs that are still sitting in the back lot. One of which now has my name on it if/when they can sell them.

I was wondering if anyone else has any other info, my newest update is what I said above; the VWoA rep was there yesterday and said that they still might take back all the "new" 2015s on the lot.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Maund in Austin just put a bunch up on car.com. Since I need a car in Austin, tired of renting 1.4 Jettas, what a dog, and Hyundai Sonnatas, which are remarkably nice, even decent on mileage. I'm only a few miles from there, I may pop in and while I'd love to have a pile of hundreds to wave at them and walk, don't have time to also run by the bank twice in a day.

KillerBox

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Sedan
I am waiting on TDI Passat or Mazda 6 Diesel, whichever comes first!

In the meantime, I am driving my 5 speed 2006 TDI Jetta.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My dealer said that they have mostly 15 sedans and a few Golf, no wagens, sitting in their warehouse waiting on the fix or fixes. I would consider a new 15/16 GSW, if the money was right. IIRC, my JSW is worth around $14K buyback. Put me in a new 15/16 GSW for around 8K out the door, and I'd probably be driving a brand new TDI.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm really planning to wait for the buyback ones to come back on the market. Looking at it this way, VW is getting 100% reduction on the already sunk cost of buying back the car, so there should be very steep discounts, not to mention the glut available. you don't can't consume 6 years of production quickly. Even throw 50% to the crusher, you still have 3 years of sales to get through. Supply greatly exceeding demand, and I can't see them storing them for years, although it would remove the need to reintroduce a diesel for 3-4 years, they could just burn through the accumulated returns as CPOs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am going to be trying for a Passat myself, when something is available and if the price is right. Can't get any reliable answers from anyone but I am on 2 waiting lists.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
If as everyone is claiming there is a pent up demand for these "modified" TDI's, I would be surprise if the dealers will do any if much discounting. After all it would be a sellers market, right? :D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Then many will pass on them. The hard core who want one will still be less than the number available. I can always keep living with my 2004 Excursion diesel and my 2003 Beetle tdi. It is a buyers market for me. If things are "right" I will buy one, but not at MSRP.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
If as everyone is claiming there is a pent up demand for these "modified" TDI's, I would be surprise if the dealers will do any if much discounting. After all it would be a sellers market, right? :D
Supply and demand apply.

450000 sold over 6 years, call it 75k a year, if there are 200k of them to sell repaired, that's 2-3 years of pre-scandal demand. Those that did the buyback aren't likely looking to buy one, so the market of buyers is much smaller, plus they are all used, except for the few "new" 2015 that went unsold. I'd likely prefer a used that had been driving up to the return, then fixed over one that sat new for 1.5+ years. It's a 2 year old car, so insurance would look at that at a minimum of 30% off on value, perhaps as high as 40%. No bank would loan close to list if insurance won't pay anywhere close to that. How many are waiting in line with cash, I'd bet very few.

dj7373

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree that the supply should be much lager then the demand and I'm hoping they price it that way.

My dealership has a few '15 gsw sitting on the lot along with other TDIs but I'm only looking for the gsw.

If I could get a '16 that's been sitting in port that would be even better.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Supply and demand apply.
450000 sold over 6 years, call it 75k a year, if there are 200k of them to sell repaired, that's 2-3 years of pre-scandal demand. Those that did the buyback aren't likely looking to buy one, so the market of buyers is much smaller, plus they are all used, except for the few "new" 2015 that went unsold. .
Never say never

They all will have the FIX

My 2015 Golf (s) has very few miles

If I ever need-care-want to sell it ~~ looking at currant KBB ~~ I should make out like a bandit

We all know the WARRANTY is transferable to next owner:D

In the mean time ~ I can make up my mind months from now

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If they start selling the "new" 2015's at a discount and then the returned fixed ones at a discount as well, the values will plummet again to match. Why would someone pay $22.5k for example when they could buy one for $15k (just making up numbers here). The buy back has temporarily created an increase in value. As soon as they fix and start selling them again expect that to decrease to fair market value again (It is anyone's guess what that will be). Kind of like gambling or the stock market. It goes up and down and whether you are a winner or not depends on when you get off.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If they start selling the "new" 2015's at a discount and then the returned fixed ones at a discount as well, the values will plummet again to match. Why would someone pay $22.5k for example when they could buy one for $15k (just making up numbers here). The buy back has temporarily created an increase in value. As soon as they fix and start selling them again expect that to decrease to fair market value again (It is anyone's guess what that will be). Kind of like gambling or the stock market. It goes up and down and whether you are a winner or not depends on when you get off.
Seems you are on target

Noting you pay to play

Rather like those who paid (or will pay) full bore MSRP ~~ up and down the line

DonsJetta

TDI
2006 Jetta Special Edition
Put my name on a "new" fully optioned 2015 Passat SEL Premium $35,740 MSRP. New Jetta TDI's are all "claimed" by someone's name at this dealer.
It's going to be interesting when anyone gets a call from the sales person to offer the car to them. I don't expect to get a steal, but it will start the bargaining dance. How much will they take off for a two year old car, especially since 017 Passat gassers may be available for close to the same money?? Will they have a blow out sale to previous VW owners, sort of a customer loyalty discount?? I believe that the 016 Passats saw a few body and technology changes if I am not mistaken. Would love to get a "new" 016 fully optioned. Or will VW take the stance that these cars are in high demand because they are no longer being made?.........Interesting!!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Put my name on a "new" fully optioned 2015 Passat SEL Premium $35,740 MSRP. New Jetta TDI's are all "claimed" by someone's name at this dealer.
It's going to be interesting when anyone gets a call from the sales person to offer the car to them. I don't expect to get a steal, but it will start the bargaining dance. How much will they take off for a two year old car, especially since 017 Passat gassers may be available for close to the same money?? Will they have a blow out sale to previous VW owners, sort of a customer loyalty discount?? I believe that the 016 Passats saw a few body and technology changes if I am not mistaken. Would love to get a "new" 016 fully optioned. Or will VW take the stance that these cars are in high demand because they are no longer being made?.........Interesting!!

When (IF) the cars come up for sale ~~ contact many dealers ~~ let them compete for your hard earned $$$$s :D

Don't forget you can-may even buy them and use car haulers to get them delivered to your driveway ~~ cost as low as 'bout $1.00 per mile

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
I stopped by and asked my dealer about putting a deposit on a 15+ TDI. They aren't taking them as the GM said they don't know when they'll be able to sell them but likely not until stage 2 fix. I hope other dealers taking deposits are legit.