Who's keeping, who's selling?

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
I have a 2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. At first, I chose the "fix." They'll pay me over $5,000 to make my car run worse and get less fuel economy. I came to my senses and decided "no way." Then I re-submitted my paperwork and chose the buyback option, which is $7,000 over private party selling price. Now I'm thinking, this is such a wonderful car! It gets 50mpg on the highway. It drives great, and is loaded with options. What can they do to me if I decide to keep the car and do neither? I live in SC where we have no annual inspections.
Get a tune than the fix (if and when it comes) than re-tune, problems solved and car kept… I live in West Columbia if you'd like to drive mine with a tune and feel the difference.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Well, it's been real y'all.

Took delivery of the R yesterday.

It's everything I'd hoped for in more, just such a good driver's car.

TDI buyback scheduled for about 2 weeks.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
With an 11 year/162,000 mile warranty (or more) on everything that matters, of course I'm keeping it!

WhatFloor

TDI
Golf 2015 TDI S Manual (Purchased new in 2017)
Keeping it

Warranty is good, fix is ish... looks cool. I'm keeping her

I will do my best to kick can down the road for Ph 2 modification

I want 110,000km on the clock so I can get a new SCR, DPF, Cat (instead of just a Cat sometime before 210,000km)

Gray Horse

TDI
2012 Golf
Keeping /selling

Keeping, Selling.....rinse and repeat !!!!! I was all set to keep and repair... Then I had a nagging intermittent lighting issue.... Sell ! My 2012 Golf and hope to score a "repaired" 2015 New .... It could happen.... maybe......

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
With D2 costing 50-60 cents a gallon over RUG in Tucson recently, the message is clear to me to sell my TDI......:mad:

jjm

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE; 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg (replaced 2012 Golf Hatch (Bought back by VW)
I signed up for the Fix, and the approved details with warranty look pretty convincing. Already sold back my 2012 Golf TDI. Leaning towards going with the fix on the '15 GSW but the buyback amount is generous enough to consider either a new GSW or Alltrack, or maybe wait for the Mazxda 5 Diesel. So I'll sit on this fence awhile...

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
I did the buyback this past friday with my '15 S with 6MT. It was painful to see it go but with my wife unable and unwilling to learn to drive the manual, it was starting to strain our ability to complete some tasks that required switching cars.

That being said, i might look to pick one up in the future with the DSG on the second hand market once they become available because it was really fun to drive.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I did the buyback this past friday with my '15 S with 6MT. It was painful to see it go but with my wife unable and unwilling to learn to drive the manual, it was starting to strain our ability to complete some tasks that required switching cars.
That being said, i might look to pick one up in the future with the DSG on the second hand market once they become available because it was really fun to drive.
I guess the option to give back the wife isn't a good idea?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
With D2 costing 50-60 cents a gallon over RUG in Tucson recently, the message is clear to me to sell my TDI......:mad:
Only $.20 difference in my area, though I always compare diesel to premium as most turbo cars require (or at least run best) on premium. But, thinking that diesel will always be more expensive is probably not the best reason to ditch the car. With the new warranty coverage now known for the fix, I find it even harder to sell the cars back unless the need to have a new car every few years is simply what those folks want. I bought these cars to have for 300k+ miles, and this only makes the deal sweeter.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
white 2014 JSW 6MT straight pipe and tuned and some other things. NO SUNROOF. No issues after 70K miles, keeping it.

These aftermarket TDI vendors got to be scrambling around , must be taking a huge hit, if not now in the future for sure. Good luck.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Or they see this as a great opportunity. Once the fix, if any, is announced for the Gen 1 cars, the tuners will learn what they have to, or can, change to recover any loss in performance or mileage.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
5yr/60k mile warranty that covers the entirety of the engine and emissions equipment will start upon the Phase 1 ECU flash, it will renew again upon Phase 2.

andytoby

TDI
Golf
Own a 2015 GSW SEL 6MT. Keeping it. Even with the buy back I don't see another car that gets the same type of fuel economy + I like the Lighting package, torque and the 3 pedals.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Sending the Beetle back. Sad to see it go, but had some random electrical gremlins in radio/telephone, rattles, freezing intercooler (after the update), and car doesn't fit out life right now. With the prospect of a child, no roof rack/hitch making practicality iffy. And the current commute for the last 1 1/2 years has not been ideal for a TDI.

So looking at a used e-Golf for now (HID, nav, PDC) and keeping options open for a used 15 down the road. Though wife still wants Touareg or Q5.

Jason

nikdfish

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagon SEL
Just committed to the fix the other day. I have had no issues with our GSW & could not find an alternative that I would like to drive as much as, let alone more than, what I currently have.

It sounds like the fix isn't going to screw up drivability & the extended warranty for fuel & emission systems is gravy on top of the over $7.9K cash back (plus $1K "good will").

Nick

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Yes the TDI fuel economy and extended warranty is a big factor in keeping my '15 Golf, BUT the harsh ride on Tucson's crappy roads is my biggest gripe and a main reason for my choosing the "buy back". In addition, D2 prices locally are hovering near 55 cents a gallon over RUG.

If I could go back in time to July 2015, I should have spend the extra $4-5K for a TDI Passat SE with more ride comfort and better lighting. IMO, that's a car I could keep.

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
So many on here already know but am I allowed to say I really don't know right now?

I'm just driving, enjoying and going on like nothing happened. Sure, I registered on the settlement site but I haven't made a choice.

In-laws, friends and others are asking me what I'm going to do and I tell them all the options but that I haven't made a decision yet. Because really....where will I find a "non-premium" stick shift wagon that's peppy and fun to drive?

Anyone else in this predicament?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
My wife is in your predicament. She doesn't want to give up her 2014 Jetta TDI (mine's going back next Thursday). She's going to keep driving it for the time being. Her rate of driving means that the car is not depreciating. It would be really hard, perhaps even foolish, to not accept $26,000 for a four year old car (with unknown reliability) in May 2018. Is the TDI and 36-mpg (her figures) important enough to turn down a new 2018 Jetta SE that might be just as capable? Time will tell if she gets a "new car bug" in 16 months.

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So many on here already know but am I allowed to say I really don't know right now?

I'm just driving, enjoying and going on like nothing happened. Sure, I registered on the settlement site but I haven't made a choice.

In-laws, friends and others are asking me what I'm going to do and I tell them all the options but that I haven't made a decision yet. Because really....where will I find a "non-premium" stick shift wagon that's peppy and fun to drive?

Anyone else in this predicament?
I'm in that boat as well. Still no "official" offer from VW here in Canada due to the different legal process, or so I have heard. So, I am just driving and enjoying the car until there is a valid offer on the table.
Call VW Canada and you just get a well trained saccharine PR voice.

Had family member tell me that I would be "stupid" not to take the pending buy back offer. And I believe at this time, that is where I am leaning.

The "fix" is still a myth as far as I am concerned, or at least until there is something concrete from VW, Which as far as I know there has been nothing concrete re: the technical aspects for the "fix", and this gives me some trepidation.

Did the 30,000km oil change at Stealer-ship last month and overheard behind desk guy say that they were currently road testing a tdi with "fix" under "normal" driving conditions. To be honest, my gut feeling is they do not have a "fix" yet, at least one that will not involve major alterations to the engine. I think there are a truck load of VW engineers scratching their heads trying to figure out a "fix" that does not involve major mechanical re-engineering. They would love a quick "fix" or even relatively quick, i'm not sure one exists. So, until there is a certified offer on the table in front of me from VW Canada, I will just continue to drive and check in on this forum while I work on making a definitive decision for myself.

Last edited:

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
Brought my GSW/S/6MT in this morning and left it with the dealer at about 8am. Got a call at 11am that it was done and ready for pickup. Will be picking it up on my way home from work this evening.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
just had the Phase 1 emissions mod done yesterday... drove around the county for 4 hours (25-55 mph) - seems a tad quicker off the line, don't notice any greater engine noise, no performance hit that i could tell, and not a single regen cycle

we think this is best vehicle we've ever owned - and think about it: a diesel station wagon for $18,500 new (considering the settlement money), and now with an 11-year, 160,000-mile warranty?

willie
on the diesel-sippin' Gulf of Mexico
it's a no-brainer!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The DSG programming is also improved during the Phase 1 update, maybe that's the quicker off the line you're noticing? Unless, you've got a manual then not sure what that could be.

jhana

TDI
14 Passat SEL TDI
oh my, the fix is in! just too bad it doesn't apply to my '14 Passat

Please read the proposed warranty on the new fix also including other components in the booklet posted at

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/e...ssions_Modification_Disclosure_Volkswagen.pdf

Update: The EPA and CARB have approved an Emissions Modification for certain vehicles. An Approved Emissions Modification is now available for 2.0-Liter TDI Model Year 2015 Audi A3, Beetle, Beetle Convertible, Golf 4-Door, Golf SportWagen, Jetta and Passat. For more information on the Approved Emissions Modification, please click here.

The Approved Emissions Modification will be completed in two stages. Upon completion of the first stage of the Approved Emissions Modification, eligible claimants will receive 2/3 of the payment amount to which they are entitled. Upon completion of the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification, eligible claimants will receive the last 1/3 of the payment amount to which they are entitled. If a claimant sells or otherwise transfers ownership of their vehicle before the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification can be completed, they will not be eligible to receive the last 1/3 of the payment, but the new owner will be able to submit a claim and complete the second stage of the approved emissions modification to receive the last 1/3 of the payment.

Volkswagen continues to work on an emissions modification for model year 2014 and earlier vehicles.