Who's keeping, who's selling?

Hvacrmike70

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Interesting, i was just on the settlement site and didn't see any way to actually submit any information beyond just name and VIN to get "updates"
I just stumbled upon it.
The site is actually... claims.VWGOA.com. And then you will get a reference number. Is actually called the claims portal. Not the most tech savvy here

Last edited:

wutech

TDI
2012 Jetta
I'm leaning more towards keep driving my car till Nov 2017, well trying to not drive it. I'm currently over 94k miles on my '12 and with loan remaining and possible maintenance intervals, it makes sense to keep driving another year.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
the plan is
buyback depending on court cases--VW could leave the US market and not pay zip to anyone,which means no wait for buyback-git-er done- they could bankrupt
That is absolutely not possible. See Suzuki (ASMC) for reference. I used to work for them.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
the plan is
buyback depending on court cases--VW could leave the US market and not pay zip to anyone,which means no wait for buyback-git-er done- they could bankrupt
According to the settlement documents, the money will be put into escrow within the next 30 days (IIRC). Even if VWOA files bankruptcy, we will still get paid.

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
I'm doing the buy back. On the claims portal for my '15 Golf SEL DSG w/LP at 56,000 currently, and with the allowable 1042 miles a month, I'll get $28,120 as long as I keep it under 60k miles. It says deal could be done on or around 11/1/16, I'll owe roughly 19k, so I'll get around 9k in my pocket. I'll put some money in her replacement, which I bought already, and then probably take a trip to Hawaii. Here's my replacement.

Scottie-GNZ

TDI
2015 Golf
I'm doing the buy back. On the claims portal for my '15 Golf SEL DSG w/LP at 56,000 currently, and with the allowable 1042 miles a month, I'll get $28,120 as long as I keep it under 60k miles. It says deal could be done on or around 11/1/16
How did you come up with that number? According to the September '15 NADA, the MSRP was $27,995. Can you point me to the "claims portal" you referenced....tks.

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
After a long distance trip in my '15 Golf TDI, I may go for the "buy back" plan. Fuel mileage aside, the ride on bad roadways is too harsh for me. (In the southwest, we do have many horrible roads).

I believe I'll take the buyback cash and look for a used MB TurboDiesel or an Audi.

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
After a long distance trip in my '15 Golf TDI, I may go for the "buy back" plan. Fuel mileage aside, the ride on bad roadways is too harsh for me. (In the southwest, we do have many horrible roads).

I believe I'll take the buyback cash and look for a used MB TurboDiesel or an Audi.

I'll be keeping mine, but if I could I would choose buyback to find an A6 TDI. Absolutely love that car but we're saving to travel for quite a while in the near future.

Which Mercedes are you considering?

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
I'll be keeping mine, but if I could I would choose buyback to find an A6 TDI. Absolutely love that car but we're saving to travel for quite a while in the near future.

Which Mercedes are you considering?
1985 300D. 123 series body. Last year for that model in the USA. Very uncomplicated car with a 5 cylinder Turbo Diesel motor. No extra electronic junk to break. easy to maintain. I had one about 30 years ago and foolishly traded for a 87 300DT which became a money pit and sent me over to Audi.

I don't think I'll ever see a used Audi A6 TDI for sale around Arizona.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I love my 2010 Golf TDI! At 62K-miles, have had absolutely no repair or maintenance issues. My wife loves to drive the car - does NOT like climbing in or out of the car (too low and no power/memory seats. If we see TDI's in 2017 and I can get one with power/memory seats and a safety/technology package, I will let VW buy back the car. When would the buyback begin and when will we find out about the availability of the 2017 TDIs?

I do like the BMW 328d Xdrive Sportwagon, but don't like the price, even for a used one.

splash07s

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6M
Keeping my 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan with Thunerbunny front clip. There is no way I am letting VW screw up my car. I mean what the hell kind of settlement is this anyway? "In order to compensate you for being cheated you must let the people who cheated you mess with your car again." I dont think so, what about those of us who have no trust or faith in VW, now we are having our rightful restitution held at ransom in order for EPA and CARB to meet standards, bunch of bullsh1t.

My plan, have the "Modification" if and when one becomes available, put the $5,100 into purchasing and installing a rawtek EGR and DPF delete and malone stage 2 tune then sit back and not worry about anything. Will still have about $2,500 left over too.

http://www.rawtekinc.com/products/jetta-tdi-09-10-dpf-egr-delete-performance-exhaust-kit

http://www.rawtekinc.com/products/malone-ecm-upgrade-vw-jetta-tdi-2009-2010-dpf-egr-delete

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I love my 2010 Golf TDI! At 62K-miles, have had absolutely no repair or maintenance issues. My wife loves to drive the car - does NOT like climbing in or out of the car (too low and no power/memory seats. If we see TDI's in 2017 and I can get one with power/memory seats and a safety/technology package, I will let VW buy back the car. When would the buyback begin and when will we find out about the availability of the 2017 TDIs?

I do like the BMW 328d Xdrive Sportwagon, but don't like the price, even for a used one.
From other posts and the VW settlement website, it looks like buybacks may start in November. If the EPA releases the modified 2016/17s for sale, it may not be until after the first of the year. I doubt the EPA will allow VW to sell new cars prior to starting the repairs on our cars.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Keeping my 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan with Thunerbunny front clip. There is no way I am letting VW screw up my car. I mean what the hell kind of settlement is this anyway? "In order to compensate you for being cheated you must let the people who cheated you mess with your car again." I dont think so, what about those of us who have no trust or faith in VW, now we are having our rightful restitution held at ransom in order for EPA and CARB to meet standards, bunch of bullsh1t.
My plan, have the "Modification" if and when one becomes available, put the $5,100 into purchasing and installing a rawtek EGR and DPF delete and malone stage 2 tune then sit back and not worry about anything. Will still have about $2,500 left over too.
http://www.rawtekinc.com/products/jetta-tdi-09-10-dpf-egr-delete-performance-exhaust-kit
http://www.rawtekinc.com/products/malone-ecm-upgrade-vw-jetta-tdi-2009-2010-dpf-egr-delete
I'd plus you for this if I could:D

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Well, I'm officially out. Closed the deal on 2017 Golf R today. Should get into the dealer right about when the settlement checks start coming in.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Test drove an R and it was superb. I want one! But I'm keeping my tdi, I drive way too much for a gas car.
Yes, best to keep it, which we've done with our 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed and our 2003.5 Golf GL TDI 5-speed along with our 2015 Golf R DSG. They are all great cars and I say this having recently driven a number of new cars over the past month. We couldn' stand those with CVT's, which are barely able to get out of their own way! We quit test driving and will now simply keep our 13 year old Golf TDI, still delivering 48-51 MPG.

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
Gets what about 38 to 50 mpg? :rolleyes::D I love driving past fuel stations for weeks and weeks and weeks.... literally. I fill up once ever 3 wks and a few say.

I was going to buy a truck anyway, this just made it happen faster. Looking to buy a travel trailer and explore.

I live 10 miles from my house, so I continue to drive past gas stations. I get between 550-600 miles to the tank. Only difference is it takes $55 instead of $25.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Staying for now. My 15 Golf SEL w/ lighting, manual, and driver assist was hard enough to get the first time. Finding something I rather have is too tough although the Alltrack is tempting. Maybe I'll pick up a GSW 4motion as a spare in a year or so.

HSG

TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
I'm selling it back. I love the car, but it makes too much sense from a financial standpoint.

The offer I'm getting for returning it is just too good. It'll bring my TCO for the car from $32k to $10k - can't say no to that.

Also, after Jan, I won't need to drive nearly as much every day because work is moving much closer to home.

I'm getting the 20k oil change this Thursday. Before it goes back in Dec, I'm planning to take it on quite a few trips. :)

I think what I'll do next is get a pre-1997 diesel so I can go back to an era of car that doesn't have all this complicated, over-the-top emissions crap.

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
Now I seem pretty dead set on a Chevy Volt. I have yet to drive one, so that may all change, but I did tinker around with a co-workers. Pretty nice and some pretty cool features. Biggest complaints are mainly to do that it isn't a wagon, and it is clearly designed to carry four, with the ability for a fifth in a pinch. With the tax incentives (a credit, not a rebate) it seems like a no-brainer.

Here's to hoping it isn't a complete snoozefest to drive.

VanCanFan

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Picked up my replacement Mk7 R on 9/24! I've parked the TDI since August as I'm worried about it being stolen or wrecked (both of which have happened to me with previous vehicles).

I'll be selling my aftermarket parts (Kerma Q-Pro and Midwest Lights HID headlights) when I figure out how to post pictures.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Took the golf in for an oil change today. Found out I need over 1k in repairs in the near future. I was going to keep it, but not anymore. I've had way to many issues with this vehicle to keep it now.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Took the golf in for an oil change today. Found out I need over 1k in repairs in the near future. I was going to keep it, but not anymore. I've had way to many issues with this vehicle to keep it now.
Exactly what "repairs" were needed? Our dealer always tries to suggest totally unnecessary work when taking it in for a state inspection.
85k miles between our two '15s and they are both trouble free.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Exactly what "repairs" were needed? Our dealer always tries to suggest totally unnecessary work when taking it in for a state inspection.
85k miles between our two '15s and they are both trouble free.
That's the main reason I typically go to an inspection only place. No up selling, just in and out.