"Whoosh" noise when accelerating between 1800-2200 RPM

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
2005 Jetta Wagon
- VNT-17
- Eurojet SMIC
- RC2+

I bought the car a year ago as an automatic, but had an issue with shifting gears, so the car sat for the last 9 months. Recently got it back into working condition and I hear a WHOOSH noise when accelerating between 1800 RPM and 2200 / 2300 RPM. I hear the woosh noise and it sounds like something shuts once I hit 2200 / 2300 RPM and the boost kicks in.

I have a boost gague and can easily boost 26 PSI and hold. I've pulled and replaced/reconfigured both the upper and lower intercooler pipes. The car has the OEM PD150 lower IC hose coming off the turbo and I have it going into an a stock ALH pipe that connects to the EJ SMIC. Coming out, I have an ID parts upgraded IC pipe (or something similar) and silicon joints all the way to EGR. the Intercooler system seems securely in place and no smoke.

I performed a boost leak test with my air compressor and don't hear any leaks.

I tried search and all result indicate a leak in the intercooler system.

I am SURE somebody has come across this or can explain what it is at least. I can't recall if that is normal or not. I certainly don't hear that kind of noise on my ALH Golf though.

Last edited:

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
I recently had a 2005 Jetta here with what sounded like a boost leak. It was a leaking valve in the egr cooler. Look for exhaust soot near the egr cooler.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. No egr leaks. The egr pipes look good. No exhaust soot anywhere in the motor bay.

jack1

TDI
Audi Allroad 1.9tdi, Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi, Vw T25 2.5 V6 tdi
check the turbo actuator arm is moving ok , could be stuck giving boost issues after being parked up so long, had a similar problem recently with a v6 tdi

jrapp

TDI
Jetta TDI-PD, 2005, black exterior, grey leather interior
Any resolution?

Was there any resolution to the source of the "Whoosh" sound? I'm now experiencing the same sound in my 2005 Jetta PD TDI (BEW engine). Symptoms seem exactly the same as OnePutt describes.
-JRapp

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Jack1 was correct. I had a stuck actuator. I had a local mechanic diag it down to that.

dublin

TDI
2.5 V6
Hi, mine does exactly the same.
The actuator doesn't seem to be stuck. Was yours completely stuck or just lazy?