who wants to see ugly clutches/flywheels?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
spent a long day working on the old girl today because my starter failed... again... thanks a ton o'rielly's. Happens to me about every other year and of course they cannot get me a new one under warranty until tuesday.

i thought it was all the chipped teeth on the ring gear ( a patch of about 10 in a row that were chipped) so i swapped flywheel/clutch and it still didnt start right... so the starter is junk, and car is down till tuesday but i got the new clutch installed.

i bought the clutch from cascade back in january and it has been sitting in my living room since. pre-assembled and packaged just as they sent it to me.

upon opening it up to install it i found that everything was covered in rusty patches. clutch disk itself, PP and flywheel. had to use a scotchbrite pad and a ton of elbow grease to clean it up. crappy phone pics dont show the rust on the flywheel all that well and i cleaned PP before i thought to take pics, it was much worse than the flywheel.

More importantly though, it doesnt look like the stage 3 shown on their page. the color is different and the shape of the sections on the clutch disk is shown differently. Maybe it is an older model, but if you look at the pics on their site, it looks like the stage 2 and not the stage 3. if it doesnt hold up to the torque i will be rather unhappy.

a note on torque, i slipped the LUK VR6 clutch i just pulled the very first time i floored it after a full tank (750 mile) break in period. heres the pics of what it looks like to run a clutch that slips in 4th/5th for a few months. hopefully the new clutch holds.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That is why you should not buy parts (starter) from Orielly's. As a plus if one of their garbage parts damages your car in some way, they will pay you exactly zero for the damage.

Last edited:

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
2nd pic, that facing was on a different disc, removed and then drilled for a new rivet pattern. See the big countersink and the extra set of rivet holes.

Surface rust like that might be from the casting being cleaned and not having any rust preventative dip, spray or vapor paper. As long as not deeply pitted, it'l buff off from use.

Second look, the inner 1/4" or so of the facings, it looks like it has a much darker band. Look carefully at the appearance of the facing at the OD vs. ID possibly both sides too.

Hub spline looks a but rusty maybe, hard to tell. That really needs a good brushing like with a round pipe cleaning brush.

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
That is why you should not buy parts (starter) from Orielly's. As a plus if one of their garbage parts damages your car in some way, they will pay you exactly zero for the damage.
I agree and buy most my parts from IDparts and then Napa as a second choice and O'reilly as a last. I needed a starter when it died in 2012, (warrantied it once already in 2015) I was poor and I bought oriellys because they had it in stock. I will keep making them warranty it until I happen to have the cash on hand to buy a VW OE starter at the same time that the cheapo one dies. I really should just buy one from ID or dealer and put it on the shelf with my tax return...

2nd pic, that facing was on a different disc, removed and then drilled for a new rivet pattern. See the big countersink and the extra set of rivet holes.

Surface rust like that might be from the casting being cleaned and not having any rust preventative dip, spray or vapor paper. As long as not deeply pitted, it'l buff off from use.

Second look, the inner 1/4" or so of the facings, it looks like it has a much darker band. Look carefully at the appearance of the facing at the OD vs. ID possibly both sides too.

Hub spline looks a but rusty maybe, hard to tell. That really needs a good brushing like with a round pipe cleaning brush.
That makes sense that it a refaced friction surface, I think is how the older model of the clutch casdade sell was and the newer one looks is different. There was no pitting on PP or flywheel so I just used a green scotchbrite pad (like on the back of a sponge but thicker) and removed it by hand. I didn't brush out the spline area, didn't even think of it, but it installed smoothly so I hope its ok.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I came here for some clutch carnage based on the thread title. For others desire to see such things here is a clutch I pulled out of a beetle recently:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
A DMF shattered to a hundred pieces. Nice. Did high mileage or high torque kill it?

My lowly B4 cannot do that much damage yet, even to a stock clutch.

I wonder if ryanp has blown any upgraded clutches to smithereens with his beasts?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Looks more like the disk is what grenaded. from the picture, the DMF still looks intact.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
you're right, I just tend to think of them as one unit when referring to a DMF and its clutch because they both have moving bits working in conjunction with each other.

I probably should break that habit as it is not really correct.