Who sells the best diesel in New England?

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Hey I’m from Massachusetts and new to the TDI world. Can any of my fellow New Englanders tell me what station carries the best diesel? Thanks a lot!

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
The best diesel comes from the pumps that move lots of diesel. I usually go for the lowest cost because they move more fuel. Also, I always dump in some vitamins as my daughter called them. Mostly a 2 stroke power service mix for my ALH.

autoguru21

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi 92,000 Miles & 2015 Golf Sportwagen Sel Tdi 52,000 miles
I go fill up where the semi's get fuel, guaranteed high fuel turnover and i've never had a fuel system issue, i also add optilube xpd and the lubricant additive every tankfull, i drive a 2015 Golf Sportwagen with the sel package which includes the xenon lighting package

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The best diesel comes from the pumps that move lots of diesel. I usually go for the lowest cost because they move more fuel. Also, I always dump in some vitamins as my daughter called them. Mostly a 2 stroke power service mix for my ALH.
I go fill up where the semi's get fuel, guaranteed high fuel turnover and i've never had a fuel system issue, i also add optilube xpd and the lubricant additive every tankfull, i drive a 2015 Golf Sportwagen with the sel package which includes the xenon lighting package
What jayb79 and autoguru21 said. Get your diesel fuel where everybody else does in your area. Go where the big rigs go to fuel up along major routes. Always use an additive with every tankful to take care of any water you can't avoid getting and to increase lubricity. My two favorite additives are Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat and PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle).

Avoiding water is critically important during the winter months due to condensation being more of a problem. This is also why it is important to fuel up ONLY at high diesel turnover stations along major routes. The fuel at these stations is constantly being replaced, almost daily. Wherever you fuel up, absolutely AVOID fueling up at low turnover stations that rarely get any heavy truck traffic.

Water in diesel fuel ices up in the cold and imitates gelling problems. People often mistake icing for gelling. They think they have gelling problems but actually have icing instead due to water from condensation. Diesel fuel normally is winterized for the region and won't gel at the coldest temps that we encounter but icing due to water can get you in trouble long before gelling will. Water in diesel fuel destroys pumps and injectors in no time at all and absolutely must be avoided at ALL costs! :eek: A single tank of water contaminated fuel from condensation from a low turnover station is all it takes so avoid low turnover stations at ALL costs. :eek: The HPFP in the CR TDIs appear to be getting destroyed by free water in diesel fuel, not from poor lubricity although it is a factor too. Avoid the water! :eek:

My favorite busy truck stop along the I-93 corridor in NH is RMZ Truck Stop at Exit 5 in Londonderry. This truck stop has a C-store and NH State Liquor Store and the Red Arrow Diner as anchor stores so it gets lots of business. The back of the station has room for trucks to park and it's always full of trucks. The diesel pumps are in the back of the station and away from the gassers. This truck stop gets an entire tanker of diesel emptied there every day to keep up with diesel demand from the high volume of heavy truck traffic. I have no worries about water in diesel fuel at this station.

The bottom line is fuel quality is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING(!) when it comes to protecting pumps and injectors and ensuring long life and reliable service from fuel system components.

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Thanks for all the great advise everyone it’s been very helpful. I just fueled up at a shell that has a lot of traffic and I filled up at the trucking pumps. What I’m not sure about it is if I need to use additives, because I think there diesel may all ready have additives.

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
What jayb79 and autoguru21 said. Get your diesel fuel where everybody else does in your area. Go where the big rigs go to fuel up along major routes. Always use an additive with every tankful to take care of any water you can't avoid getting and to increase lubricity. My two favorite additives are Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat and PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle).

Avoiding water is critically important during the winter months due to condensation being more of a problem. This is also why it is important to fuel up ONLY at high diesel turnover stations along major routes. The fuel at these stations is constantly being replaced, almost daily. Wherever you fuel up, absolutely AVOID fueling up at low turnover stations that rarely get any heavy truck traffic.

Water in diesel fuel ices up in the cold and imitates gelling problems. People often mistake icing for gelling. They think they have gelling problems but actually have icing instead due to water from condensation. Diesel fuel normally is winterized for the region and won't gel at the coldest temps that we encounter but icing due to water can get you in trouble long before gelling will. Water in diesel fuel destroys pumps and injectors in no time at all and absolutely must be avoided at ALL costs! :eek: A single tank of water contaminated fuel from condensation from a low turnover station is all it takes so avoid low turnover stations at ALL costs. :eek: The HPFP in the CR TDIs appear to be getting destroyed by free water in diesel fuel, not from poor lubricity although it is a factor too. Avoid the water! :eek:

My favorite busy truck stop along the I-93 corridor in NH is RMZ Truck Stop at Exit 5 in Londonderry. This truck stop has a C-store and NH State Liquor Store and the Red Arrow Diner as anchor stores so it gets lots of business. The back of the station has room for trucks to park and it's always full of trucks. The diesel pumps are in the back of the station and away from the gassers. This truck stop gets an entire tanker of diesel emptied there every day to keep up with diesel demand from the high volume of heavy truck traffic. I have no worries about water in diesel fuel at this station.

The bottom line is fuel quality is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING(!) when it comes to protecting pumps and injectors and ensuring long life and reliable service from fuel system components.
Thanks a lot appreciate all of the info. That’s a little bit out of my way but sounds like it’d be well worth the drive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Haverhill MA, and work in Woburn MA
Not my neck of the woods, I'm on the South Shore. Like n1das says, if you can find an Irving near your work I'd use them. I've had good luck with their fuel, too. Otherwise just go for volume stations, like others say.

autoguru21

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi 92,000 Miles & 2015 Golf Sportwagen Sel Tdi 52,000 miles
Hi Indigo Blue Wagon, how are you? it's your customeer Pete o/o of Pete's Auto Repair & Detail i noticed you upgraded to a 2015 gsw,how are you liking it? and what options do you have in comparison to my option loaded gsw sel tdi with the bi-xenon lighting package. I hope you and your employees are staying healthy and well during these difficult times, i miss coming in to see you guys and i will be placing a order soon. I hope you and your family & employees have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Hi Pete! I didn't really upgrade, as the MKVII is awaiting use as my next car. Here it sits in the corner of my garage, while the MKIVs still get daily use.

Mine is a base version, which is fine with me. I don't like sunroofs, so that means I had to get an S. What was important to me was the manual transmission. This was a new leftover car at a our local dealer's. It has about 300 miles on when I bought it, most of it driven by IDParts staff when it was on loan to us in '15. It's now at 14K miles, ready to go into service when one of those MKIVs goes away. That might not be soon, the way things are going.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
To replace IBW, I've purchased an '06 Jetta, '12 Golf, and now the '15 GSW. I wouldn't have bought the '15 if VW was going to continue to sell diesels in the US, but I thought it might be my last chance to get a small diesel wagon with a manual transmission. So here it is.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Haverhill MA, and work in Woburn MA
I recommend Haffner's ("It Kicks!").
Gasoline, LOL. You have a Haffner's in Haverhill at 73 Plaistow Road, Haverhill, MA 01830, and many other locations around you.

I have fueled up at Haffner's in Hudson NH for many years and it's a high turnover station. The fuel quality has always been good and the station meets my criteria for high diesel turnover stations along major routes. In casual chats with the management I learned that the Hudson NH station sells around 2000 gallons of diesel a day and gets 6000 gallons delivered every 3 days to keep up with diesel demand. They have contracts with many of the businesses in the area and their trucks all fuel up there. I expect other Haffner's locations to be high turnover stations as well.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Wanted to try it. According to Fuelly it still had a gallon left in the tank.