Who have more than 250,000 miles on 06 jetta tdi?

Diesel126

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI DSG / 2006 Jetta TDI DSG / 2011 Touareg TDI Executive
Mine 170,000 miles still runs really strong first DMF replaced at 45,000 with new part number now at 170,000 starting to rattle again. Checked cam at 90,000, showed alot of wear but still original. Some engine mods. :}

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
I'm at 330,000 miles on my 06 Jetta. Cam changed at 220k. Transmission blew up (manual) at 317,000. I think I will need a turbo this spring, since it has a small oil leak now. Otherwise, its been mostly routine maintenance. Still getting mid 40's for mileage.
low on oil? or what caused that? i thought the manuals were tough

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My 06 5 speed has 253,000 miles. The cam just failed, so its down till I can replace it next couple of weeks. So far its had a LF hub, tandem pump, EGR cooler replaced. 43-45 MPG and a great car, I plan on keeping it fixing whatever comes up next. I run Valvoline 5-40 Syn-power oil.

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
That is crazy how some cams die quickly, then others chime in with 200K+ without a failure. I give mine a lot of love and am very picky with what is done to mine and how it is driven. With only about 91k and counting, I will be dancing in the street if I get 253k before the cam goes.

Thanks for the reports...makes me feel better about my purchase (going on 1 year).

Created

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just bought a 1 owner 2006 (auto) with 205k. Outside is a bit ruff, but interior is 98% and drives like new. Engine runs very smooth/quite, and Carfax shows no repairs of cams or clutch. Got 46.3 mpg the 1st day running 75-80 on the highway (310miles that day, with about 30milrs around town). Changed all the fluids and filters, will change timing, and trans oil ASAP. Purchased for $5200 so I hope that even with some work it'll be a good buy for me. So far so good!

Lars161

TDI
Jetta '06
My 'regular' PD customers' cam failure count remains safely at '0'. Meaning, these are cars I have personally serviced since new. :) Only camshafts I ever replace on PDs, and there are quite a few, are from cars that have an unknown history, or a known history of incorrect oil useage.

I will be the first to admit it is a weak design, but I do not believe it is the kiss of death, as plenty of these engines live a decent life without ever needing the valve cover removed. There are about 10 other things on a BRM car I would deem MUCH more likely to need attention before the camshaft.
These zero failures, do they have pretty high miles as well?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Forgive me if my post here isn't exactly an answer to your question. I'll allude to Oilhammer's comments:

Cam and lifters seem to be a sore point on the PD. Probably a number of "natural" failures considering the design, but likely more failures that can be attributed to improper maintenance. Generally I'd say that cam and lifters should be considered a wear item in this design. Those serviced properly seem to generally have a long life. Those improperly serviced or neglected? Not so long.

DMF Clutch & Flywheel - Perhaps more common on DSG vehicles. Probably a bit weak. I'd guess that hard use is likely to have consequences.

Timing belt and associated components... These cannot be ignored without probable consequences. They also cannot be serviced with anything less than quality components. Don't bargain hunt. Don't procrastinate. If you don't know their history, then replace immediately.

Cooling Fans: It's good to have a look as the fans aren't monitored. Bad fans often lead to a/c failures. Summer heat is a killer.

A/C compressor: Proportioning valve seems to be a sore point. Slow to cool usually. Sometimes no cooling. A bad cooling fan compounds a/c/ issues.

ASV and EGR valves: Both easy to fix. Both expensive if you have to purchase new and don't shop around.

EGR Cooler - Shutter Assembly bushing erodes. This will almost certainly happen. There are ways to fix short of removal or replacement.

Doors: Wiring harness can be a problem.

Grounds & Electrical: Poor or corroded grounding points in the engine bay. Fuse legs and contact components compromised by corrosion or erosion. Usually heat damage is evident when the offending fuse is removed.

None of the above mentioned problems are a certainty and none are deal breakers. Just be prepared and know that a Jetta requires your attention. There will be a steep price should you ignore her needs.

My car? 156k miles. A bad fan, EGR bushing, alternator clutch, ASV, and recently a EGR valve plus right front and rear wheel bearings. She hasn't been flawless and I'd probably not have had these problems should I have purchased a Toyota. But then I'd not have enjoyed the ride nearly as much.

So... Do I like the TDI? Absolutely! How many vehicles look and ride like new at 150k miles? How many remain a joy to drive? And at the moment we're considering a new Passat TDI.

Some say VW de-contented both the Jetta and the Passat which may be true. What we found is that the new Passat recalls the quality level of the '06 Jetta which is very nice by any standard.

Obviously I haven't mentioned all ten items, however I believe I've touched on the most important. Keep your filters clean, use the correct oil, do the required services, and you'll have a fine car for a very long time.

Last edited:

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just turned 300,000 on my 06 5 speed. I have replaced all the usual suspects named above plus the tandem pump, all 4 wheel bearings and rear brake pads.
I feel like she'll make it to half a million now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
These zero failures, do they have pretty high miles as well?

A few have made it past 300,000 miles. I guess it depends on your definition of high miles. I think anything over 1/4 million starts to fall into that category in general.

stahlfj

TDI
2005 Golf TDI, 2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I have a 2009 Sportwagon that just passed 263,000 the other day. I can't claim all of that, I bought it with 228,000 on it last spring. So far 1 front and one rear wheel bearing, two oxygen sensors, heater fan and one exhaust pressure sensor I've replaced. I have DSG with no problems so far.

gopher

high mileage 05-06 Jetta

I am the original owner of a 2005.5 Jetta TDI with DSG transmission. Driven very conservatively, used spec 505.01 oil exclusively at 2500-3600 miles change intervals with oil filter. Michelin tires average 150,000 miles per set. Brake pads only changed once at 190,000 miles. Timing belt service (diesel geek kit) every 90,000 miles. Currently have 344,500 miles. At 343,800 miles experienced cam failure with eroding thru a lifter; also the flywheel was rattling (only when transmission idled in park). Had new parts installed (kit from Frank in Missouri) by guru Scott in Jacksonville along with oil pump and transmission fluid and filter change. Then to be on safe side had Wagon Werkes in Jacksonville change the flywheel. $3700 dollars later car now sounds and rides like new. The only apprehension I have is how long can the DRG transmission
last, but so far shifting seems unaffected by the high mileage.

Last edited:

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I have a 2009 Sportwagon that just passed 263,000 the other day. I can't claim all of that, I bought it with 228,000 on it last spring. So far 1 front and one rear wheel bearing, two oxygen sensors, heater fan and one exhaust pressure sensor I've replaced. I have DSG with no problems so far.
263k and 344k on a DSG. Impressive. I'm sure mostly highway miles but cool anyway.

Hope I get as many on mine.

Last edited:

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I am the original owner of a 2005.5 Jetta TDI with DSG transmission. Driven very conservatively, used spec 505.01 oil exclusively at 2500-3600 miles change intervals with oil filter. Michelin tires average 150,000 miles per set. Brake pads only changed once at 190,000 miles. Timing belt service (diesel geek kit) every 90,000 miles. Currently have 344,500 miles. At 343,800 miles experienced cam failure with eroding thru a lifter; also the flywheel was rattling (only when transmission idled in park). Had new parts installed (kit from Frank in Missouri) by guru Scott in Jacksonville along with oil pump and transmission fluid and filter change. Then to be on safe side had Wagon Werkes in Jacksonville change the flywheel. $3700 dollars later car now sounds and rides like new. The only apprehension I have is how long can the DRG transmission
last, but so far shifting seems unaffected by the high mileage.
I am also wondering how far the valve springs will go. I have heard of one failure at just over 300,000. A comment made on this forum but not sure of its accuracy.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
150k. Cam at 80k after oil leaked out and it was smoking when dealer inspected the cams. Harvieux TB at 100K and it was back to like new. 150k still like new on ESP and now TDT. We have excellent cars, I drive mine with total confidence. I can't say I'd be interested in a new one though. Maybe the new Golf will have finally worked out the bugs.

LuvDaDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI - 355,000miles - rip
240,000 on my '06. Just replaced the camshaft. Showing some wear on several lobes, upon removal the last two camshaft bearing showed considerable wear on the lower. Fourth had worn down into the copper.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
240,000 on my '06. Just replaced the camshaft. Showing some wear on several lobes, upon removal the last two camshaft bearing showed considerable wear on the lower. Fourth had worn down into the copper.
Chose to have the camshaft done at ~245k as it was showing significant wear and figured it was cheaper to do it then than wait and take the chance of a lifter failing.

Now just over 250k and it runs great thanks to nutsnbolts

scorpion

TDI
2006 jetta
291500 on my 06 Jetta , just had all 4 fenders , trunk lid , hood and both rocker panels replaced under VW rust perforation warranty. Brand new body now never had engine or driveline problems , only use it for trips , not my daily driver. will probably last me for my lifetime

Scobi-wan

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 5 spd , slightly modified.
274713, running good. Though with age and mileage I'm having to replace quite a bit of stuff but it's all original parts so they've lasted the pervious owners the whole time , now I'm fixing her up for another 250K! Colt cam, straight pipe exhaust , vr6 clutch flywheel , airbox vent mod . Anywho Has plenty of power still regardless of age/mileage .

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI
I have 366,000 miles. Cam job at 200,000 . Replace 4 front wheel bearings, a couple alternators, and duel mass fly wheel. Buy only original AC compressors... Runs like a scallded dog... Replace mass flow sincer...

rammd

TDI
For what its worth, my 2005.5 has 386000 miles. Cam and clutch replaced at 290000.Lots of door lock actuators and two driver side door wiring harnesses.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Mine had about 330k when I sold it a couple of years ago. It had cam, dmf replaced in the 220k range. Also EGR delete and zip-tie turbo actuator mod. It was running great when sold and hopefully is still going strong for the new owner.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
We bought our 06 Jetta new and it has served us well. It now has about 269,000 miles. I've done the cam, EGR cooler and the clutch because a bad DMF. The original clutch never engaged right from new so it was a nice upgrade to a smooth working clutch. The one thing of note on this one is it has never had any front end work, other than control arm bushings and never had a wheel alignment. It also has never been back to the dealer.

Last edited:

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
We bought our 06 Jetta new and it has served us well. It now has about 269,000 miles. I've done the cam, EGR cooler and the clutch because a bad MAF. The original clutch never engaged right from new so it was a nice upgrade to a smooth working clutch. The one thing of note on this one is it has never had any front end work, other than control arm bushings and never had a wheel alignment. It also has never been back to the dealer.
I only had my '06 for a few years but have to say it was my favorite driving car. The combo of useful features, solid feel, and plenty good enough power (malone 1.5) for a solid, relatively heavy car made it very pleasurable to drive. I miss the the mpg/range of my a4 and the driving experience of the a5. Still have a b4v for range and a jsw that is great in other ways, but do miss some of the stellar aspects of those earlier cars.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I'm almost to 250k miles on mine. Bought it at 160k needing a cam, picked it up pretty cheap. I replaced the DSG at around 200k for a bearing going on one of the main shafts. Being that the original history is unknown, I'm not sure if this is due to the added power I've done or if the fluid was never changed before purchasing.

Other things it needed(I won't include standard maintenance): a CV joint, rear springs were wore out as well as shocks. The thermostat also needed replaced. Driver side window harness. Interior wise, I've had to chase down my fair share of rattles. The pleather seat cover on the driver side also needs to be replaced.

Overall I'm pretty impressed by the serviceability on the MKV and MKVI platform. If you ever have to pull the DSG for a flywheel change, it's pretty easy. The subframe can be removed in around the time it takes to drink a cup of coffee.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
We bought our 06 Jetta new and it has served us well. It now has about 269,000 miles. I've done the cam, EGR cooler and the clutch because a bad DMF. The original clutch never engaged right from new so it was a nice upgrade to a smooth working clutch. The one thing of note on this one is it has never had any front end work, other than control arm bushings and never had a wheel alignment. It also has never been back to the dealer.
I have one like this. Purchased it new. Package 2. 5 speed with the .658 5th gear. not quite 250K miles on it. (249.5, I'm on the tank of fuel to get me over 250) Cam, clutch, EGR delete, rear brake pads, but original front pads, both front wheel bearings R/R'd. Mine has more road rash than yours. Danged rock haulers. Lil dude does a cold start, runs for 2 hours at 75ish mph then off for 2-3 days. Rinse/repeat.

I arrived to this thread because mine suddenly stopped locking all doors. RR primarily, and the anti-theft system stopped giving me the horn chirp. I need to replace the battery. could that cause it???

I also have a lamp inop message. the LF parking light. replaced & operates. Still has the error message and annunciator light on the dash. Sigh. I don't like to have an annunciator constantly burning. It programs "disregard" in the noodle. I gorilla'd the torque on my first or second air filter change so I really need to replace the top half of the air box as the plastic under the fastener has failed. I've progressively added larger washers ... and now a metal strap between the two fasteners. LOL

Anyhow. I was gonna load an ice photo of my Texas Jetta from last week, but I'm fumbling here on this new BBS. I'm bequeathing this car to my about-to-be-married son. His fiance has an absolutely worn-out Buick. I know, rabbit chases abound in this post. Anyhow, was searching for the door lock problem and what else would cause a wheel bearing sound. R/R'd the RF wheel bearing assy a few years ago. Good fix. After rotating the tires a month ago, I have the same sound on the left. R/R'd the left front wheel bearing assy. no help. Could a driveshaft ujoint be doing this? Odd that it started immediately after the tire rotation and hasn't stopped.

Sure do appreciate you gurus on here.