Who Has Timing Belt Tools? (BRM)

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
Oh they grow up so fast, don't they. My Jetta is almost at its 100k mile service interval and that means I have to get my timing belt replaced and swap out some filters. But there are some strange foreign tools that are needed to get the job done right, right?

I could buy the toolkit, use it once, and have it sit in the garage and get lost. Or if someone here would be kind enough to let me borrow their tools I could use it for a weekend and even compensate you for your troubles, beer, help with something, or money are examples that spring to mind. I really dont look forward to making to tools myself, an option, or buying them once and having them disappear into the void (garage) when I'm done. Instead they could be returned to disappear into your garage.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated, I would also be happy with some dimensioned sketches of the tools I will need.

smck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf man, 2003 golf man
Speed, I have done 4 of these personally and never used any special tools other than a pair of bent tip pliers which I modified with a die grinder. If your engine is in the correct timing window already (if wasn't you'd have serious problems) then all you have to do to keep the engine in time is to mark your current belt and pulleys with a good visible paint marker and transfer the marks to your new belt (count the teeth between marked points) and reinstall lining newly marked pulley up to the marks you made on the timing pulleys. It is also necessary to have a way to hoist your engine block and hold it in place when you remove the motor mounts. There are some complete tutorials on this site thanks to our diesel loving brethren. Removal of valve covers and setting cams in place are really not necessary for a simple timing belt replacement. You should also get a complete kit with all new tensioner, idlers, and water pump( i recommend the metal impeller as I had stock plastic impeller fail on me on the way to work one morning a few years back).

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
SpeedFreek,

Use the special tools! Its not worth ruining your engine. Buy the tools and then sell them here on the forum, or someone might even rent the proper tools.

Here is where you can buy the special tools needed:

http://www.metalnerd.com/cat20.htm

You need at least the Crank Lock tool and the Cam Sprocket Pin.

The Tensioner Pin comes with tensioner when you buy it.

Read here about how to change the timing belt:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264283

Or travel to Madison, WI and see JasonTDI and have him change your timing belt.

smck,

Please do not advise people to use the mark and pray method. Too many engines have been destroyed that way. There is a reason special tools have been created for changing a timing belt.

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
I may just buy the kit off of tdiparts and sell it when I'm done. The though of having Jason do it has occurred to me but its only a timing belt and it wouldn't be one of the craziest things I've done.

I could try the mark and pray method but I don't quite trust myself that much.

nic_a_bod said:
I have the tools for BRM and vag com - I'm over by Platteville, WI.

PM sent
PM sent

smck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf man, 2003 golf man
No prayer required and no danger if you understand how timing works. Quite simply put if it is in time when you remove it and you reinstall the new belt in the same position the old one came off then it will remain in time. Same number of teeth marked point to marked point this is after all how timing/position driven components work. Couple of hour job max. I'll post the shortcut pics next time I change one out. This is common practice by mechanics everywhere and I would be really surprised if no one else here has done this.

Last edited: