Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just put new tires on IBW. Afterwards it occurred to me that some folks would hesitate to buy new tires for a 20 year old car with 443K on it. Didn't even cross my mind until I had them on the car.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just put new tires on IBW. Afterwards it occurred to me that some folks would hesitate to buy new tires for a 20 year old car with 443K on it. Didn't even cross my mind until I had them on the car.
But when you see the cost of the low profile 20 inch tires on those new cars... Makes me understand a little more, but they also have a car payment to deal with, plus tons of other debt which I don't have, so in that sense, being that they can either pay only a car payment, or continue to pay the same amount plus the cost of tires, it kinda makes a little sense on the surface, until you get into the math and realize that they're drowning in debt...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
But when you see the cost of the low profile 20 inch tires on those new cars... Makes me understand a little more, but they also have a car payment to deal with, plus tons of other debt which I don't have, so in that sense, being that they can either pay only a car payment, or continue to pay the same amount plus the cost of tires, it kinda makes a little sense on the surface, until you get into the math and realize that they're drowning in debt...
And unfortunately the solution they choose is to take on more debt.

One of the many things I like about MKIVs is how cheap tires are. I run 15" wheels; the Michelin tires I just bought were $341 for four, shipped. And they'll probably last at least 50K miles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I overheard a conversation between 2 ladies about needing to trade in their cars. One said she put 40k miles on it and needed new tires, so she was going to trade hers in. She said it wasn't worth putting new tires on. It was a 3yr old car. I was laughing inside:ROFLMAO:o_O
I remember that discussion around my house. We decided that we didn't like the mileage on the truck I had at the time. It needed new tires and since we had already decided to downsize, it was around the issue of paying for new tires on something that we would be trading in. Didn't put the tires on it and got a check from the dealer for the difference in trade versus what we bought. Last year, we put new tires on both the truck at around 50k miles for about $1000.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Elon Time i guess. Probably related to when they can get the TX factory online.
I don't think so- the Texas factory is ready to go into production any minute now. It's more likely related to Tesla's ability to ramp up 4680 cell production. They probably don't want to bother making a temporary 2170 battery cell version of the Cybertruck. Bottom line profitablity is likely another big factor. They can make more money right now focusing on Model Y production in Texas.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The analyst Trip Chowdhry seems to think Tesla will be building two sizes of the Cybertruck. The smaller one would be 15-20% smaller than the large version. I think it's a great idea.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure why you'd think they are vaporware. It's not like this is VW with the Buzz van- which actually isn't vaporware either, just a decade or two late in getting to market. Tesla hasn't made any official announcements about the smaller Cybertruck/truck, so I'd just classify that one as a rumor at this point. I can see how the design is controversial. I thought it was an abomination immediately after the reveal, but now I'm really excited to see them on the road and up close.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Elon Time i guess. Probably related to when they can get the TX factory online.
That factory is MASSIVE! I passed by it like two weekends ago after leaving the junkyard just east of there on 71. The factory makes Uline or Amazon look like Barnes & Nobles compared to say Costco or Super Walmart.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I don't even think about that really, and yet, I have 16" rims on my fleet, so I can use Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on nearly everything. I've even been on the hunt for 17" rims for the mk4s, and some of my friends asked why I've poured so much money into a 20 year old car.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Because it's paid for and tires are a necessity not a luxury.
Haha, that's one reason. After I paid off my JSW, I don't think I'll be buying another new car anytime soon, if ever.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm about to pay off the truck and we're already starting the discussion of what replaces the JSW. It will probably be something electric since it's used mostly in town. With the current spike in fuel prices and returning to office full time, I'll probably start driving the JSW to work again.

zimbodel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996-2006 TDI Beetle
I will keep my diesels, but I will replace gasoline cars with electric. I will never give up diesel as it is the only fuel available when SHTF.
Military cannot run on electric batteries so diesel will be always available and gasoline needs more extensive refineries which is usually/easily taken out.
Electric vehicles are great for errands and short commutes and gas cars cannot compete IMO. Diesel is a different beast. A tank or armored vehicle cannot run on batteries. Needs diesel, so diesel is always the last fuel standing. Of course you can also power your diesel off the results of the lipposuction from your fatcat congressmember, which is something a gas car cant do.

Last edited:

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
I will never give up diesel as it is the only fuel available when SHTF.
You don't think a large solar array and a car that can use that energy would be more resilient? 10kW of solar is basically like having 2-3 gallons of diesel delivered everyday.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What if you end up with two vehicles in your garage: one TDI for road trips and one EV for the city?
It might make sense for a certain environmentally responsible population segment in the US and worldwide, correct?
This is a reply to an old (2020) post in this thread. I specifically did NOT want to have two cars as a replacement for my bio-diesel TDI, so I tried a car-and-a-half and do not regret getting a Chevy Volt. I now have one electric car for 'city', and the same as a 38+ mpg car for road trips.

Not perfect: It's complex and heavy with both electric drive line (battery, 2 electric motor/generators, re-gen, AC to DC transformer, vacuum pump, yadda-yadda) AND the gasoline internal combustion stuff (engine, fuel tank, catalytic converter, evaporation emissions systems) and three radiator systems (for engine, motors, and battery).
Have you guys driven one of these cars yet? That's really the only way to objectively be able to bash the center stack with any credibility.
It takes a minor adjustment but the layout works.
Oh, I so want to bash the Volt's center display stack. The layout sucks.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
You dont think that the sun dont shine here sometimes for weeks ?
Sure. But solar panels still produce something even when its overcast. If you're prepping how much diesel do you keep on hand? 100 gallons to last a month?

Wouldn't electricity be the fundamentally more ubiquitous energy source since it's a lot easier to make electricity from diesel than diesel from electricity?

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Now here's another alternative, not in production yet, but wowowowow!, a 1000 mile range, covered in solar cells,
plugs in to 120v outlet, and a drag coefficient of .13. And really cool lookin'!

Aptera.us

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I considered all electric on my latest vehicle but I went Hybrid instead. Up to 55mpg locally and 43 on road trips works as well for Me as any of my previous TDI 's. 11 gallons of RUG about every 3 weeks and nothing to plug in. The B4 would run about a month on it's 18 gallons.
On another note, just paid $300R (about $60 bucks) to fill the tank in a VW GOL. One of the few things in Brazil that cost more than the U.S.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
K., Bom Dia. I suppose where you are is effectively "south of Boston".
Since most of my trips are well within the battery range, the on-board generator is used infrequently. GM considered this and uses an "Engine Maintenance Mode" function that starts the engine every few months to keep things lubricated. There's also a "Fuel Maintenance Mode" to calculate the average age of the fuel in the tank to avoid stale fuel. I've found that leaving just a gallon or so in the tank is enough to avoid the low fuel level warning, avoids the EMM, and means less fresh fuel needs to be added every few months to update the average age and avoid that alert message.
Between these mandated gasoline usage programs, and the few trips I make beyond the battery range, I've used 183 gallons in 58 months of ownership (about 1.25 gallons per week).
Grid electric cost per mile: $0.022
Gasoline generated electric cost per mile: $0.079 per mile.
Yeah, I plug in to recharge as much as I can.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Sure. But solar panels still produce something even when its overcast.
I have 8kw worth of PV feeding 60kwh worth of LiFe batteries. (off grid) New system just brought on line October 2021. Even in the winter months in southern MN it is very rare that don't make enough PV that I've had to pull power from the grid. Just a few times the batteries have gotten to the state of charge point where the inverters automatically switch loads to pull from the grid. The system will only get better once I over panel the inverters (6.5kw worth of panels for 5kw inverters) right now they are under paneled. PV panels are cheap, just install more for those cloudy days.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice. I've been hearing good things about the Polestar. How long ago did you put in the order?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Nice. I've been hearing good things about the Polestar. How long ago did you put in the order?

Hahaha I didn't. I've had the ID4 on order for 6 months ( wife is now going to replace her 11 yr old car when that comes in ). Polestar seems to have some in stock regularly. I think a lot of people are sleeping on the brand not realizing it is a subsidiary of Volvo. Honestly you probably could "order" one thats in stock @ Polestar boston, but you'd have to go there from Maine... They had 1 - 2 dozen in stock and I snatched one up quick. I should have it this weekend but it was nice when I test drove it. You also get Free 30 min EA charging for 2 yrs, and included 3 yrs maintenance.

And they are 100% MSRP... nothing over priced, and they are very direct on trade-in pricing because they just wholesale the car. Super easy process. Ordered, next day finance and etc... was done.