Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Go test drive em ;)
I drive several hybrids , but no EV. I think the only only one that really would be fun to drive is the Tesla.
Excellent suggestion. I think you'd find that most of the EVs are quite zippy off the line and more fun than you're expecting.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Mach E disappoints at the upper limits of it's performance- it's a bit of an outlier there. Even so, for most driving by sane individuals in countries without an autobahn, 0-100 mph is much more relevant than 60-124 mph. I'm trying to remember the last time I really needed to exceed 100 mph...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
An IDParts colleague drove my Wagon the other day, and he was tickled by how well it pulled from 60-90 in top gear. I'm thinking the Mach E might not impress so much as as 20 year old diesel. Just sayin'

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not sure about that- Car & Driver got 13.5s 0-100 mph and a 13.8s 1/4 mile from the awd, non-GT Mach E. Your tdi wagon might "feel" quicker, but I'm pretty sure you'd be getting a good view of the awd/dual motor Mach E taillights.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's something fishy with those euro tests- Car & Driver got significantly better performance numbers with the less powerful awd Mach E trim than the autolution folks did with the GT trim. Did Ford really manage to make the more powerful version slower? Or was there some funny business going on?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My understanding is that making a WOT run from 0 to top speed is very hard on the batteries, and the system cuts back on output to manage heat or other factors. Shorter acceleration bursts like 60-100 may not be as stressful.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I believe Ford has work to do on thermal management of the batteries/motors/inverters. But I would think the standard awd and GT versions have the same thermal management systems. My hunch is that Car & Driver were seeking the best numbers they could get and Autoevolution were seeking lesser numbers.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
My understanding is that making a WOT run from 0 to top speed is very hard on the batteries, and the system cuts back on output to manage heat or other factors. Shorter acceleration bursts like 60-100 may not be as stressful.
I don’t know anything about hybrid batteries, but I do play with lithium batteries. And this asportation goes right in hand with my real world experience.

I have a super charged light and the thing is like ovrt 5k lumen, it floods out most headlights. BUT On a full battery is it that stupid bright. Once you actuate that 6000 lm a couple of times it drains the battery very quickly. And you’ll never reached a peak number again. This Obviously affects your run time too.

Now I know that the Tesla does the same thing, if you bury your foot in it everywhere you’re not gonna get the same battery as if you drive it slow. So, from that perspective the TDI might be more efficient because I can hop it up and drive it around town like a sports car and still get excellent mileage.
Finally, I tell everybody this out run you in a TDI because you’re gonna have to stop to get gas and I’m not. The same is going to be true in a Tesla. You might be way ahead of me but you’re gonna have to stop in charge. Do you remember the story of the tortoise and the hare? TDI all day

Excellent suggestion. I think you'd find that most of the EVs are quite zippy off the line and more fun than you're expecting.
I’m positive Tesla is a blast to drive ,so was my 850r! Make that sucker s hybrid ;) that’s not my argument tho, for me the Tesla is the unicorn everyone is tryint to be like. Musk almost singlehandedly creates the EV market and I don’t trust him. There is absolutely no real evidence, only anecdotal evidence to suggest that Elon musk is in bed with the Saudis…
We seen that the last 2 years as demand rosethe rest of the car manufacturing world followed suit. Next it will be the fuel industry. The Saudi‘s aren’t gonna want to lose their power in the world.
Furthermore, Experts s say there’s still lots of room for my oil sticks to go up, which is unbelievable given how much they’ve gone up in the last 18 months! I think that will be directly related to the rise of EV.
As EV becomes more popular the price of gas is going to go up. It doesn’t seem possible logically given old-school economics, mainly supply and demand. It’s just what my gut tells me. No real logic behind it

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Brent crude is $82 today, it was $74 in 2018. Inflation adjusted that's $85. Oil hasn't really gone up much at all in recent years. The price is volatile, however.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
You’re looking at the wrong data. It’s not quite that simple… The headline is what’s really important here. When Saudi Arabia gave Russia the middle finger and this happened, anybody with a dollar and a half a brain bought stock in oil companies. They also made a killing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very volatile. I wouldn't want to guess what oil prices will do either short or long term. I have more than enough volatility already in the tech stocks that I own.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I thought your wife banned from buying anything else! Good thing you live on the edge of no-where so you have room for all those vehicles.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is funny to listen to people panic about the "shortage" of cars. There is no shortage, there are plenty of cars out there. More just need to be pulled back into service, which is what we've been doing more and more of lately, and the thing is, people realize that math is math. Spending less is spending less.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Brooks from Dragtimes races his Plaid Model S against a modified Hayabusa in the quarter mile:

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
OH is the greenest man on the forum! Keeping old vehicles running instead of buying new. :D Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Great Job!
Just need to start pulling the old fuel out of the atmosphere instead of refining new fuel and we're set! :D

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
It is funny to listen to people panic about the "shortage" of cars. There is no shortage, there are plenty of cars out there. More just need to be pulled back into service, which is what we've been doing more and more of lately, and the thing is, people realize that math is math. Spending less is spending less.
the used csr market is WILD! Out here if you know where to look on google maps there’s areas with THOUSNADS of used cars just sitting existing to become busted low miles cars.There is no real market that dictate the value of used cars compared to houses. Companies and people change whatever they want!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Most people don't want to repair cars or have them repaired. Diesel owners are an exception to this, but people still fret about spending "more than the car's worth" which I've always thought is a false equation. And people tend to not trust cars as the miles accumulate. Or they want features (read=electronics) that older cars don't offer. I (and other members here) see a lack of electronics as a benefit, but many don't.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Back on topic, I saw on the news tonight that Tesla has pulled the projected delivery date for its Cybertruck off its site. What's up with that?

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Back on topic, I saw on the news tonight that Tesla has pulled the projected delivery date for its Cybertruck off its site. What's up with that?

That truck , what a sham and a shame!

I read briefly that Ford’s electric truck sold 200k units practically overnight. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would assume that they don’t have enough of the new 4680 batteries on hand. Either that or they want to concentrate on the back order of Y’s.
That sounds right to me. The Cybertruck is also quite a departure from traditional assembly methods. Makes sense to maximize profits on the backlog of Model Y demand while they perfect the processes for building the new architecture.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Most people don't want to repair cars or have them repaired. Diesel owners are an exception to this, but people still fret about spending "more than the car's worth" which I've always thought is a false equation. And people tend to not trust cars as the miles accumulate. Or they want features (read=electronics) that older cars don't offer. I (and other members here) see a lack of electronics as a benefit, but many don't.
I overheard a conversation between 2 ladies about needing to trade in their cars. One said she put 40k miles on it and needed new tires, so she was going to trade hers in. She said it wasn't worth putting new tires on. It was a 3yr old car. I was laughing inside:ROFLMAO:o_O