Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I heard that the new battery is supposed to have a larger capacity than the original. Please update the thread after the swap and let us know if your range increased.
The new battery has an extra 6kWh.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I got delivery of my Mach E today. It took just barely short of seven months from when I ordered it.
I've driven a friend's on a few roadtrips - it's a nice vehicle. His is a rear drive large battery, and it's quite efficient!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Commuting 30 to 50 miles each way isn't going to leave anybody needing to use a charging station. That is a long commute relative to somebody driving 5 or 10 miles to work. Or compared to the retiree example.. 40 miles each way to work is like 20,000 miles per year without non-work trips. IMO that is putting good use on a battery which costs a lot of resources to build.
Sure, if there's no traffic/severe weather/construction/etc. I have a 50-mile commute, and when things get snowy, that ride can become a lot longer. Heck, even the right amount of rain can too - to the tune of 7.5 hours for me to get home the night Tropical Storm Ida came to NJ. I burned close to half a tank that night, because so much time was spent stuck at a dead standstill or creeping along at less than a walking pace (actually only got 35mpg that tank, but I started with over 3/4 so I was in no danger of needing to fill) trying to find roads that weren't flooded out. Plus, my ride is not "flat" - it's up and down hills all the way for me.

I'm assuming an EV uses PWM on the drive motors to get different speeds, which presumably is more efficient than varying the input voltage (or worse, resistive voltage dividers), but will extended durations traveling at <10mph have a negative effect on the overall range on a charge? I'd think it a reasonable guess that when you're creeping along like that you won't get much benefit from regenerative braking.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The HVAC saps a lot, that's why the local medical courier that tried the Electric Focus gave up on them after only a few months. They never, ever, got close to Ford's range.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
The heat pumps in the pricier cars including iirc Teslas, do a little better than the economy heaters. Yes those basic heaters wreak havoc on range as I have also experienced first hand. Like gulfcoastguy said there are ways to avoid destroying range. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/cabin/boat-heaters/diesel

I have heard the same reassembly story on the sprinters although I believe that was the early ones when they first started importing them. Not sure if it was true or still true of the new ones. I don't think I heard it as the chassis and box though, just major components.

Last edited:

Kim Satori

TDI
Red TDI Bettle
I am one of the founding members of this Club.

I love driving sticks, and I love fueling my Rocketchipped little Golf every 600-650 miles. But the internal combustion engine is heading to the door. My next car will be a Model Y.

You in the same place?
Sorry VW, you convinced me.

Bye now,
BeetleGo, went
doubt i would go back to a VW, so expensive to fix. I want a no repair car... or jsut look at the UK, car ownership is going to be wiped out. $3000 to every person who gives up their personal car... guess that is the future.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
doubt i would go back to a VW, so expensive to fix. I want a no repair car... or jsut look at the UK, car ownership is going to be wiped out. $3000 to every person who gives up their personal car... guess that is the future.
And a Tesla is a no repair car? Second law of thermodynamics still applies to Tesla, just as much as to VW.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Some of the "stupid small stuff" repaired at tesla rates is just as expensive to fix as major component repair on our vws. Based on my personal experience.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Don’t support the richest many in the world! Buy a Ford or something Or wait dor the diesel hybrids. Mercedes has one coming in 2022.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Some of the "stupid small stuff" repaired at tesla rates is just as expensive to fix as major component repair on our vws. Based on my personal experience.
The Tesla shop rate is about the same as the Cadillac shop rate in the DC area *shrug*.

Tesla parts costs are quite reasonable I find. I do wish they'd have affordable scan tool access so DIY was more possible.....

-J

Georges2015

TDI
2015 Golf
Some new EVs are really cool. I have a roughly 125 mile a day work commute, and my TDI was bought to fill that purpose, as it's not my "normal" type of car. (I own a '72 Ford TBird, '75 Olds Ninety-Eight, and a '91 Dodge W-150).

I imagine when the wheels finally fall off of this one (hoping for 300k) I'll just buy another used TDI or some other efficient not quite beater, but cheaper used car. Maybe when prices in the used EV market come down it'll be a consideration, until then, can't see it happening.

I would really like to drive one just to check it out. Don't know anyone with a tesla or other EV. Maybe a rent from Turo weekend is in order...

George

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just to revisit the heating issue while stopped deal.

EVs with heat pumps fare even better in winter emergency scenarios:

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I believe this is the best technology available if your truely interested in being environmentally friendly.

Too bad Americans can’t get one

what’s weird to me is the EU and much of the world is moving toward the complete end of petroleum vehicles by 2035. I bet the Paris accord has something to do with this.

I digress , Tesla’s are cool but they are not that green! Diesel hybrid technology is way more efficient. Last summer I was talking to a Tesla owner, and it came out of my mouth if you really cared about the environment you drive a Chevy bolt or Prius not a Tesla. oops. he was kinda disgusted and said something about musk changing the world for the better. OK let’s talk about billion dollar philanthropist snd they are call to power…never mind lol

Here in WA, 3 time governor elect Jay Ensley recently passed a bill that stated that all of the states vehicles must be for electric by 2035. He also did veto a bill that would have mandated ALL cars sold in Washington after 2030 to not burn fossil fuels.

Soon it’s gonna be hard to find Petro or diesel. Currently it’s hard to find a EV station lol. Idnloke

Also, here in Washington we get most of our power from hydroelectric, I actually think there’s a nuclear reactor that runs in the state nobody really knows about it. At any rate, throughout most of this country America most of our energy comes from burning fossil fuels.

We’re gonna have problems Even if we converted everything over to wind , solar, nuclear and Geo and hydro electric production , with the amount of fossil fuels we use any electricity we use that still gonna be heating up the earths core. Isaac newton tells you, energy cannot be created or destroyed. So if you’re putting energy out of a vehicle energy creates heat. There’s no changing that I don’t care how you operate that energy. Just wait till we get rolling blackouts. I hope you have a Tesla battery installed in your home or a Goos generator (if you can get fuel for to reasonably)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
We’re gonna have problems Even if we converted everything over to wind , solar, nuclear and Geo and hydro electric production , with the amount of fossil fuels we use any electricity we use that still gonna be heating up the earths core. Isaac newton tells you, energy cannot be created or destroyed. So if you’re putting energy out of a vehicle energy creates heat. There’s no changing that I don’t care how you operate that energy. Just wait till we get rolling blackouts. I hope you have a Tesla battery installed in your home or a Goos generator (if you can get fuel for to reasonably)
We aren't heating up the Earth's core. In fact, the core temperature is ever so gradually cooling. Not to worry though, our sun will likely burn out before the core solidifies. It's the Earth's atmosphere, crust , and oceans that we are roasting with anthropogenic climate change.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Add to that Tesla’s Austin plant starting any day now. Then VWs Chattanooga plant starting around September with another German plant starting this spring.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Then you have Volvo, and BMW in South Carolina. Mercedes added a battery facility next to it's Alabama plant.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Some new EVs are really cool. I have a roughly 125 mile a day work commute, and my TDI was bought to fill that purpose, as it's not my "normal" type of car. (I own a '72 Ford TBird, '75 Olds Ninety-Eight, and a '91 Dodge W-150).

I imagine when the wheels finally fall off of this one (hoping for 300k) I'll just buy another used TDI or some other efficient not quite beater, but cheaper used car. Maybe when prices in the used EV market come down it'll be a consideration, until then, can't see it happening.

I would really like to drive one just to check it out. Don't know anyone with a tesla or other EV. Maybe a rent from Turo weekend is in order...

George
Go test drive em ;)
I drive several hybrids , but no EV. I think the only only one that really would be fun to drive is the Tesla.
We aren't heating up the Earth's core. In fact, the core temperature is ever so gradually cooling. Not to worry though, our sun will likely burn out before the core solidifies. It's the Earth's atmosphere, crust , and oceans that we are roasting with anthropogenic climate change.
I digress, Tesla suck they are any better for the environment