Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
HAL from '2001: A Space Odyssey'. Only hopefully we can tame artificial intelligence such that it wants to keep us around.
Hmm, maybe I should check that out, but I highly suggest you watch Terminator again, and again, and.....

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Ok Larry

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Loved this from the article: " Chief engineer Eric Bach summed up the unwavering clean-sheet philosophy by saying that the team started by "targeting the limits of physics, not other vehicles."

Haven't heard an ICE automotive manufacturer speak like that in ...forever. That is why they are getting left behind, in my opinion. Cars are getting interesting again now that the upstart EV guys are on scene and actually care about physics.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The Model 3 was the second best selling car in Germany in September- barely behind the VW Golf @ 6890 vs. 6830 sales. The Grunheide plant coming online should easily push Tesla into pole position.

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
77.5% of all new passenger cars registered in September in Norway was fully electric. Tesla model Y in 1st place, model 3 in 2nd and Skoda Enyaq in 3rd

I have ordered a Cupra Born (ID.3 sibling), it cost me 348.000NOK (41.200USD today), 58KWh battery, 204hp, price includes options, delivery fees, winter tires and a 3 year service plan.The cheapest Golf you can get, 110hp petrol DSG, starts at 350.000NOK, delivery fees and winter tires will probably add 25.000 bringing the total to 375.000NOK before you start to tick the options list

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, that's a sweet conversion. Pretty cool that they were able to use 47 kWh of battery and still maintain the original curb weight.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
77.5% of all new passenger cars registered in September in Norway was fully electric. Tesla model Y in 1st place, model 3 in 2nd and Skoda Enyaq in 3rd

I have ordered a Cupra Born (ID.3 sibling), it cost me 348.000NOK (41.200USD today), 58KWh battery, 204hp, price includes options, delivery fees, winter tires and a 3 year service plan.The cheapest Golf you can get, 110hp petrol DSG, starts at 350.000NOK, delivery fees and winter tires will probably add 25.000 bringing the total to 375.000NOK before you start to tick the options list
Are there still a lot of government incentives in Norway to buy electric?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
An old dog with new tricks, a Tesla powered Impala.
I must be missing something. I don't understand the point of this exercise. First, 60s GM cars were pretty crappy. Build quality was only good if you compared them to what GM built in the 70s. The suspension was archaic, interiors were cheap and uncomfortable. The only possible appeal I'd find in a car like that would be to have the straight 6 or small block V8/Powerglide experience. Which I'd take a miss on, personally. In that car even the colors are bad.

Just buy a Model 3 instead.

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
Are there still a lot of government incentives in Norway to buy electric?
Yes, electric cars have no sales tax, normal sales tax in Norway is 25%, they dont have to pay the first time registration fee, for ICE cars it is base on a car’s weight, CO2 and NOx emission. Of the 350.000NOK that Golf I used in my previous post costs, 47.000NOK is the registration fee. If you want a Golf R, the registration fee is 160.000NOK Hybrids gets discounts on the registration fee, but have to pay sales tax

Norway has a lot of toll roads, EVs gets a minimum 50% discount, some places it is more, and some toll roads is still free. Same with ferries. Parking is also free or cheaper many places, the yearly road tax is a bit cheaper and you dont have to pay a fee when registering a used EV on the new owner, this costs about 6500NOK for a newer ICE car, but gets cheaper the older the car is

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's not much daylight between the ID3 and the Cupra Born, but I prefer the front end design of the Cupra.

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
The ID.3 lacks character, specialty in the front, it is just a big boring blob. The Born looks a lot better, at least in the pictures, haven’t seen one IRL yet. I have heard reviewers saying the Born will be more expensive than the ID.3, but at least in Norway it is significantly cheaper

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I must be missing something. I don't understand the point of this exercise. First, 60s GM cars were pretty crappy. Build quality was only good if you compared them to what GM built in the 70s. The suspension was archaic, interiors were cheap and uncomfortable. The only possible appeal I'd find in a car like that would be to have the straight 6 or small block V8/Powerglide experience. Which I'd take a miss on, personally. In that car even the colors are bad.

Just buy a Model 3 instead.
But it's not a Model 3. Why do people put in hood stacks and roll coal? Or spend all their money on sound systems? Or get into horses. . . . now that's a money pit. Glad there's folks like him doing things like this. Looks like he sure enjoyed the journey.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Probably not a bad idea. It's very common for me to rent a car and drive it less than 100 miles during the rental period. If it were an EV I wouldn't have to think about charging.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Be a big time saver for them if they don't ahve to worry about refueling many of the vehicles that get returned. My rentals fall into two catagories. Either less than 50 miles or over 500. Sometimes, I don't fill the ultra low miles and just take the upcharge and a e-car would work fine. The others, I'd be a little hesitant to jump in an e-car in Jan in Iowa or Minnesota planning on getting to my next call of about 250 miles from the nearest airport.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure Tesla's extensive supercharger network played a part in Hertz' selection. This is a win-win for both businesses. I'm certain it will drive sales as many people get to experience driving a Tesla for the first time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm certain it will drive sales as many people get to experience driving a Tesla for the first time.
Since test driving a Tesla isn't a thing from the company, it might help. People might be more willing to drop $$$ on one if they find they like driving it first. But other than that, I think most people won't want to deal with the learning curve of using an EV, especially on a business trip. Truth is when I was traveling on business (someone else paying) I never refueled rentals before returning them. I often still don't. Didn't want to take the time. Sitting at a supercharger would be a no-go for me, and, I bet, for a lot of other people. But renting when I know I'm going to drive less than the car's range capability, that's another story. Cost depending, of course.

I stopped traveling extensively for business before Uber and Lyft were on the scene. Had those services been available when I was traveling every week, I would have rented far, far fewer cars.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The choice makes sense to me. For someone new to EVs, who is only going to have the car for a short time, having the Supercharger network with many locations, tight integration with the car's nav system, and no fussing around with different charge networks' billing systems / apps / RFID fobs / being routed to a station that doesn't work makes it an easy decision.

-J

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll rent one for a day or two. Really looking forward to it, actually. But it may be awhile before Tesla can fill their backorders. I bet they'll fly off the Hertz lots.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Since test driving a Tesla isn't a thing from the company, it might help. People might be more willing to drop $$$ on one if they find they like driving it first. But other than that, I think most people won't want to deal with the learning curve of using an EV, especially on a business trip. Truth is when I was traveling on business (someone else paying) I never refueled rentals before returning them. I often still don't. Didn't want to take the time. Sitting at a supercharger would be a no-go for me, and, I bet, for a lot of other people. But renting when I know I'm going to drive less than the car's range capability, that's another story. Cost depending, of course.

I stopped traveling extensively for business before Uber and Lyft were on the scene. Had those services been available when I was traveling every week, I would have rented far, far fewer cars.
We started by renting them on Turo….
The last business trip I took (2018 or 2019), we rented a Model X from Truro for the week. We were in Loveland, CO and our hotel had a supercharger. We didn't once exceed the vehicle's range, but charged it every night just because.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
Interesting perspective and view. The only issue is the Model Y is around $50,000 and the TDI was never even close to that in price (at least not ours when brand new). I did, however, try to convince my parents to get a Tesla but they weren't interested in spending that much money on a car (have never spent more than $25,000 when all said and done TTL OTD.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Using rental cars is how I decided to purchase my Ram 1500. Had a chance to drive all of them and the Ram won out for comfort. Not sure that renting a Tesla would make me want to buy one, but it might make me more interested in the e-car for my next purchase.