Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Damn, you guys must be looking to take the high mileage crown away from the Tesloop folks. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Damn, you guys must be looking to take the high mileage crown away from the Tesloop folks. :)
That will take some doing. IIRC one of their cars had about 400K miles on it.

My daughter used that service extensively when she was carless and living in San Diego. She'd buy tickets on Groupon and go back and forth to LA most weekends. Loved it, and it was cheaper than the train.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Compu I have fam with various Teslas, I've seen the repair bills and I wasn't impressed.

A lifted early S on 15x8's and small 28" AT's fits my budget and wants. Is that a thing that can happen? I mean if my $35k cyberpunk pickup aint happening maybe I should get started.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That will take some doing. IIRC one of their cars had about 400K miles on it.

My daughter used that service extensively when she was carless and living in San Diego. She'd buy tickets on Groupon and go back and forth to LA most weekends. Loved it, and it was cheaper than the train.
Yeah, pretty tough to catch up to a professional driving service with a head start. It's a marathon though. That's cool that your daughter played a small part in Tesla history. Hope she's feeling 100% again.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
She's getting there, thanks.

I used to use "black cars" a lot in NY and other cities. It was amazing how many miles those services would put on Lincoln Town Cars with relatively few problems. 300-500K miles was not uncommon. The secret? Never shut them off. I've been told they never need exhaust systems because no moisture ever collects in them. And engines last a long, long time if they aren't cold started frequently.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All the Panther cabs I have been in felt like a death trap waiting to happen. That is only three, though, but we service some cabs for a local company and those cars are not at all what I would call "problem free". More a case of "problems ignored".

Vince's 2011 Jetta cab, however, even at more than 400k miles, feels tight and rattle free, and that is with most of its original suspension and steering bits intact.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I always liked that Panther platform. My grandfather had an early Panther town car. As a kid I thought that V8 in his Lincoln was super powerful- it wasn't really (they improved later I'm sure). He just wasn't afraid to put his foot to the floor frequently. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Confirmation of the LFP packs coming to Fremont in September. Well, there are probably some already there, but car deliveries starting in Sept. I bet more than a few Bolt owners will make the switch after the problems they've been having with the LG batteries. The LFP chemistry is more or less fireproof from what I understand.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Say you do make the switch after your TDI, do you opt for Autopilot. I cannot imagine a day to come where the car drives me!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think I'll pay for FSD. They are going to offer it on a subscription basis too. I may try it for a month to see how I feel. I really enjoy driving so....

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I want working FSD available when I am 75 or 80. Imagine telling it go to Walmart. But I am only 61 now so I can wait for them to get it right.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FSD should be quite excellent in 10-15 years. Worthy of the name. Hopefully a standard, no cost feature by that point.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's video from moments before that accident showing both men entering the front of the vehicle. Autopilot wouldn't even engage on the driveway where the crash took place. The guy driving was probably showing off for his buddy and lost control. Sad for sure.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, that is the same incident I was referring to. The driver got tossed into the back seat either during or shortly after the accident.

And yes, that guy that got arrested is an idiot. Plenty of them out there.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The first Model Y have come off the line at the Austin plant!

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Quoting Elon "We can coup whomever we want."

Pulitzer prize winning journalist Chris Hedges and the experts leave not a hair of doubt as to what has been stated over again-- All EV's will do is breed wars for minerals we do not possess based on a fallacy sold to the masses for profit. Save your money and stop purchasing EV's. Buy Used Cars & TDI's instead!

Apologies if the truth in my opinion stings; I'll show myself out.. 😗

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, please show yourself out. Your unhinged political garbage has locked out enough threads already. Keep it up and you'll probably get banned in short order.

As long as we're linking to trashy "news" sites, try this one on for size:

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ida looks like it's going to be a bad one. Smart move to evacuate. Nice not to have to deal with lines at the gas station.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Quoting Elon "We can coup whomever we want."

Pulitzer prize winning journalist Chris Hedges and the experts leave not a hair of doubt as to what has been stated over again-- All EV's will do is breed wars for minerals we do not possess based on a fallacy sold to the masses for profit. Save your money and stop purchasing EV's. Buy Used Cars & TDI's instead!

Apologies if the truth in my opinion stings; I'll show myself out.. 😗

Naaaa... just buy the EV when you can and are ready to move platforms. Gas prices will be on the rise again since most domestic fracking companies had problems when the prices dumped. Even at our ridiculously high electricity here of .256 per kwh it is 1/2 the price to charge than it is to pay for gas. Over 50,000 miles of driving 30 mpg gas car vs id4 / q4 it's like .128 per mpg for the gas car and .078 for the EV... over 100k of driving. 5k in fuel savings alone there.... forgetting other maintenance savings, and then the tax credit... if your buying new anyways the cost difference could be the difference alone. And that numbers are only getting better each year in favor of EVs as battery tech advances, and gas slowly gets more expensive. We pay 3.69 for premium here and that's what the numbers are based off of. But for people depending on where you are they change. But not by much my friend in Texas pays .075 / kwh, and like 3.09 for premium, of 2.50 for regular so would make even more sense there if the charging infrastructure worked out.... innovation, choice, and consumer demand will make the switch.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tesla's energy division is looking to take root in Texas as an electricity provider. Two massive grid connected battery storage facilities are being built in Houston and Austin. Maybe Tesla can put the "R" back in ERCOT.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Over 50,000 miles of driving 30 mpg gas car vs id4 / q4 it's like .128 per mpg for the gas car and .078 for the EV... over 100k of driving. 5k in fuel savings alone there.... We pay 3.69 for premium here and that's what the numbers are based off of. But not by much my friend in Texas pays .075 / kwh, and like 3.09 for premium, of 2.50 for regular so would make even more sense there if the charging infrastructure worked out.... innovation, choice, and consumer demand will make the switch.
You do know this is a diesel board and we drive TDI’s, right?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daemon has also compared the operating cost of his Q5 TDI to his Q5 PHEV. The PHEV comes out ahead vs. the TDI.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
You do know this is a diesel board and we drive TDI’s, right?
Yes I do. I've OWNED not one but 2 TDI's. A 2013 Golf TDI, and a 2015 Q5 TDI( which i had a full build thread in the V6 / Q5 section ). With diesel its not a whole lot better or worse depending on your car. But I'll run the numbers for you here:

So:

My Q5 TDI -- For just fuels sake --- Over the 14,000 miles I drove it for I averaged 28.2 MPG, and my fuel cost was 3.49 / gallon or .1238 cents per mile driven just for fuel costs. Over 100,000 miles of driving my TDI is would cost me $12,380 in diesel costs ( This doesn't include that i was putting in 1/3rd a bottle of standadyne in each tank 6 months of the year ). The PHEV goes 33 miles on all electric regulary w/ 11kwh of energy.... if I charge it at home ( .256 / kwh ) which is far more expensive than if i take it to a level 2 around here ( .136 / kwh ). At .256 / kwh thats
.0853 / kwh, and premium fuel costs me 3.699 / gallon. To go 2594 miles: 1832 miles are gas only or $219.49 on gasoline spent, and 762 miles were electric or 254 kwh or $65.024, which is .1096 / mile in total costs. Keep in mine the first 1500 miles of driving roughly i kept the car in battery hold, so i was almost exclusively using the gas motor. My car currently has 300 miles on the tank, and I've only used 1/4" a tank of gas.... so I am starting to use the battery a LOT more. If I used my PHEV exclusively how I HAD used it over 100,000 miles it would cost me $10,960. And that would be $1420 cheaper over the lifetime. HOWEVER --- That is NOT the case since I am now using the electric motor MUCH more, at a cost of .08533/mi when charging on my house, or .04533/mi when using lvl2 chargers here.

Now I'll give you an Advantageous comparison:

My Golf TDI --- Average was around 47 MPG ( it was post dieselgate ) --- At 47 mpg and 3.49 gal diesel thats .0743 /mile driven or $7430 over 100k miles. The Q4 is .078 / mile driven which is not a direct comparison to a golf but thats $7800 over 100k miles for a full SUV electric. But lets apples to apples this: My wife's 2019 E-Golf --- 32 kwh to go 140 miles ... thats .059 / mi driven or $5900 over 100k miles. Mind you these are with our very high electricity rates, and a little above average fuel costs.

All these numbers are in new england -- Lets do them where you live -- I'll choose phoenix as its in your region atleast -- Google says average diesel price is 3.144, average premium gas is 3.642, and your average electricity rate is .1196 / kwh.

At your Rate Cost of:
Q5 TDI - .1114 / mi or $11,140 over 100k miles
Q5 PHEV - Gas( .1214 / mi ), Ele( .0396 / mi ) -- Based on EPA Split 40% / 60% --- ( 4856 ) + ( 2,376 ) -- or $7232 over 100k miles
Golf TDI - .0669 / mi or $6690 over 100k miles
Q4 Electric - .0368 /mi or $3680 over 100k miles
E-Golf - .0273 / mi or $2,730 over 100k miles.

1. Now my point being electrics are cheaper to operate and more expensive to buy, but it may just make the difference in a total cost of ownership comparison. I've only compared fuel, it get more intense when you consider reduced maintenance costs, and tax credits.
2. This thread it specifically about electric cars.
3. I don't hate on diesels I've owned two TDI's
4. I'm buying a TDI for my nephew very shortly. Mostly because I want him to atleast experience a manual diesel before the whole market shifts hard to electric.
5. Throwing down the gauntlet here with this statement: Find me one SUV TDI on this forum that sips less fuel than my PHEV, while beating a 0-60 of 4.7s in a fully stock vehicle, and handles better. Let me tell you can't do it. w/ stage2 malone on my Q5 TDI I hit 0-60 in 5.5s with full launch control, I had tons of suspension mods, and without a doubt this car handles better, night and day hands down. Currently Avg fuel economy of 46.9 mpg. I optioned it without the sunroof so the weight is identical to my Q5 TDI, the lightest of the diesel SUV's, its not light on power either 362HP / 369 TQ, Q5 TDI - 240hp / 428 TQ, not even the european SQ5 TDI is faster and that thing is an awesome monster, nor do any of them use less fuel. And if i wanted it faster all i have to do is go out to ABT an gain 58HP, and 50nm of TQ, or 425HP / 406 ftbs. I hate saying it like this but I wanted a better version of my Q5 TDI but it doesn't exist, so I found something better, and you still get stupidly good Torque.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
'Bam! Love me some lay-down of the TCO facts. Electric car's TCO beats the crap out of any ICE car, only you have to be rich to capitalize one in the first place. That's the problem. We need cheaper cost to acquire electric vehicles, which is why I'm hoping Aptera succeeds.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
'Bam! Love me some lay-down of the TCO facts. Electric car's TCO beats the crap out of any ICE car, only you have to be rich to capitalize one in the first place. That's the problem. We need cheaper cost to acquire electric vehicles, which is why I'm hoping Aptera succeeds.
Nick is dead to rights. There is not a good "cost effective" electric yet. I was comparing luxury vehicles / expensive vehicles north of 40k. Sub 40k, the mark is a lot harder to hit currently and event he ID4 doesn't really get there, and the M3/Y aren't really there yet either. And basically non-existant sub 30k... In a previous thread/post thats why I mentioned solid state. Solid state which audi has mentioned is already on the way is over 2x the density but using much less rare metals and etc.... which means less cost. Bring down the price of the battery and you bring down the cost of the vehicle. You also bring down the weight which means you need less actual kwh for the same vehicle and thus need less battery for the same range. Huge.

I'm hoping that in short order that does come true, and thus we can end the subsidies. Then these vehicles will be direct across the board competitors w/ a much lower TCO in the long run.

For Luxury SUV my Q5 PHEV cost me 66k, it was 9k more than the gas equivelent Q5, but i get a 6712 federal tax credit which I get full advantage of. So it cost me 2300 more in the end. Except I optioned the sports package... meaning i have the ideantical rims, tires, seats, black on black interior, and suspension of the SQ5, I also have the same size brakes.... whats the 0-60 of the SQ5 4.7s, a similarly specced SQ5 cost 2k more. I wouldn't have replaced my Q5 TDI for a gas Q5, the other options were an SQ5, or an S5. I actually look the cheapest option, and get the fuel benefits... and the tax credit. So the Q5 PHEV as a replacement for the regular Q5, only in the premium plus trim, in the prestige or the prestige sports package like I have you're really going toe-to-toe w/ the SQ5.

Lastly nick I am not rich... I am pretending to be.... hahahaha. Let me tell you that payment HURTS. This is by far by 2x the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased. I am usually buying in the 30k( max ) or lower range.