Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd be willing to bet that most Model S purchased are used as daily drivers. Sure, they are out of reach for most folks, but so is a $65k car. Globally the average price of a new car is probably well under $20k. That doesn't make the Plaid S any less impressive.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I'd be willing to bet that most Model S purchased are used as daily drivers. Sure, they are out of reach for most folks, but so is a $65k car. Globally the average price of a new car is probably well under $20k. That doesn't make the Plaid S any less impressive.
Maybe I'm missing something in your response... but I don't think anyone is saying that model S Plaid is not quick, nor an interesting or an advancement in engineering. But I would argue that there is an active market in this country for a 65k vehicle, MANY new pickups are going for around that price range and being bought actively, and upwards into about the 75 - 80k range.... The average price of new car is in this country was 38.960 for 2020... that doesn't mean that a 65k isn't consider premium. I guess my point is this for lets say the average car is 39k for easy rounding, someone can much more easily justify to themselves a 60 or 65k car. But going all the way up over 100k is likely not going to happen. So I'm much more in the belief that the Model S regular at 75k is a much more useful car on the market since it is more in the range, or even the Model 3 since that is about the average.... and thus actually sells in volume. Example: in 2020 Tesla sold, produced, and delivered 54,805 Model S/X, and 454,932 Model 3/Y.... So my point is basically the Model S is useless only to the fringe for an environmental impact point, which the 3 and Y actually make a difference because of volume. But keeping that in mind for prospective, Tesla sold less car globally as a whole as Ford just sold F-Series trucks in the US. So WAY more excited about the F150 lightning and hoping for large scale adoption, as that will make an even larger impact if it sells in volume replacing other F-Series sales.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Wait till '24 to spend your 79-90k on a Hummer EV.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe I'm missing something in your response... but I don't think anyone is saying that model S Plaid is not quick, nor an interesting or an advancement in engineering. But I would argue that there is an active market in this country for a 65k vehicle,
Yes, I think you missed something. You asked who buys a $120k daily driver. My answer is most of the Plaid Model S will be daily drivers. Wealthy people will buy them. Think doctors, lawyers, executives, TSLA investors etc. They will sell as fast as Tesla can build them. Considering that it's the quickest, most technologically advanced production car ever made, I'd call it a bargain(for wealthy folks who like fast cars). I would tend to agree that most $100k+ cars are garage queens of the very wealthy. Plaid S isn't that.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
ok for $120k that is a "bargain" just like for many years it was American v8's to italian super cars. I guess thats a fair statement and comparison.

Seperate point: I like speed as much as the next person, but at some point who cares right? Sub 3's to 60 is FAST AF right? I was in my friends Tesla M3 Long Range AWD the other day 0-60 in 4.2s the instant acceleration and punch were pretty good. One thing he noted to me that i didn't realize is that he didn't buy the performance because the like 30 - 80 or 40 to 80 were identical between the two, and for 2k he could have pretty much the same performance. But he smokes just about anything from 0-30 because of all the torque so who cares right? Its all about layers and gradients i guess of personal requirements which is why the ID4/Q4 should be solid sellers, normal people don't really care that much as long as they can merge fast enough on the highway and such. Its people like us that really care about it.... hahahaha

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Reasonable? You must not see some of the posts I've read. I think the most generous I can be towards EV enthusiasts here is that they're no more or less biased than the average TDI enthusiast here.
Ok, so I was trying to be diplomatic. As always, there are exceptions.

nwdiver said:
We need to get over this idea of holding on to something we have instead of actually looking at the numbers on whether it makes sense to keep it.
The first half of this statement really bugs me - seems like "throwaway culture"/"you should buy it because it's new and improved".

As to the second part (the "makes sense" bit), I'll just quote Dr. Jillian Taylor from Star Trek IV: "Whoever said the human race was logical?"

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
you should buy it because it's new and improved".
Not because it's new and improved but because continuing to use it is more expensive (economically or environmentally) than replacing it. That's why I'm holding on to my 'classic' P85 instead up upgrading to plaid but I ditched my old TDI as soon as I could. As 'new and improved' as the new Model S is it's not a ~3x increase in efficiency like I got upgrading from my TDI.

I may get a Cyber Truck since the additional utility would be nice.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Enough with the pot stirring. Let's get this thread back on track to the original topic of

"Who's going to Tesla after their current Tdi"

Answers like "Nope, I'm going to Lucid." Or "Nope I'm going to get a Rivian" etcetera are acceptable discourse because at least they honor the premise of the question of going from diesel to electric. Talking about the topic and closely related topic is cool.

General EV bashing is just trolling. EV prostheltyzing is equally annoying and obnoxious.

So act like an adult and knock that chit off.

--moderator.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Enough with the pot stirring. Let's get this thread back on track to the original topic of

"Who's going to Tesla after their current Tdi"

Answers like "Nope, I'm going to Lucid." Or "Nope I'm going to get a Rivian" etcetera are acceptable discourse because at least they honor the premise of the question of going from diesel to electric. Talking about the topic and closely related topic is cool.

General EV bashing is just trolling. EV prostheltyzing is equally annoying and obnoxious.

So act like an adult and knock that chit off.

--moderator.
Well. I currently have PHEV but I am having major issues w/ it. If stuff keeps up maybe a lemon law and then potentially an EV like a Mach-E, E-tron regular.

Wife is look at Q4 for next year.... that's where we're at.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'll still be driving my TDIs when the Tesla S "Corduroy" edition gets released in 2025. Or maybe the "Paisley" edition will be out first? :p

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh I knew the Spaceballs reference, and it is certainly clever. Still not buying one (well, I couldn't even if I wanted to).

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh I knew the Spaceballs reference, and it is certainly clever. Still not buying one (well, I couldn't even if I wanted to).
Haha I feel you there.... S/X both well out of my range. M 3/Y maybe not so much. But I've detailed why not got me above.... honest q5 PHEV prestige fully loaded I got was literally the most expensive car I've ever purchased by double almost triple.... I couldn't stretch further even if I wanted to...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm pretty sure a Model 3 LR will be my next car. In a holding pattern at the moment to see how the proposed incentives shake out.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
The cool thing about the ridiculously fast edition is this.. the other slightly more affordable (still very quick) cars are underappreciated for what they can do. Like the 2nd fastest model 3 config is still very fast. And the 3rd..

I remember when the civic ARRR came state side there were great dealer incentives on the si version. Same effect of shaking out market demand. For a lot of buyers its just bragging rights on having the top dog trim rather than actual appreciation for the performance being offered. And using/enjoying the dern thing.

I could go for a Tesla model 1 if they ever make one. Do not like to spend more than 25 or 30k even on a new car. There are so many compelling used vehicles in that range too. Maybe a used 3 one day.

Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely should do it if you're in Maine since your electricity is sourced through hydrodams and renewable/recyclable wood.

This is where I see EV's benefit: in States which are proactive about such initiatives. Here in NY, one would better off purchase a Hyundai K5 GT for a 1/4 price if they want a solid DD which can also give you the occasional giggles.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely should do it if you're in Maine since your electricity is sourced through hydrodams and renewable/recyclable wood.

This is where I see EV's benefit: in States which are proactive about such initiatives. Here in NY, one would better off purchase a Hyundai K5 GT for a 1/4 price if they want a solid DD which can also give you the occasional giggles.
Yeah, I think its where you live. My mother in law lives in the plattsburgh NY area and they are sourced from hydro 100% and her electricity is like .02 / kwh it would make huge sense there as well.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yeah I looked it up and that's way up there by CA whom are one of the leaders in clean energy reproduction. NYC happens to be the 4th largest population in the US and last I heard, the promise of off-shore windmills were next to non. If they don't pass that along in the infrastructure bill, it won't happen and this city will continue to impact negatively.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great summary by Randy Pobst of last years run up Pikes Peak in the Unplugged Performance Model 3. He's going to make another run at it this year in a Plaid Model S. Should be epic.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting story, but it would make much more sense to just import whatever old euro parts you need to cobble together a "euro spec" car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Waiting for the 25 year mark to import a euro spec mk4 TDI.
This is a great idea. Never thought of it. But getting an early MKIV out of Spain or Italy (no rust) would be awesome. As regulations discourage driving older diesels in Europe values will probably continue to fall. I'd go for an early Golf Wagon or a PD150 Jetta Sedan.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Somebody ought to start a thread on importing the old tdi's. More imports might materialize once the path gets blazed. I've been seeing a Citroen 2CV going down the road quite frequently this summer, so the hurdles to importation must not be insurmountable.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not a Tesla, but the Hyundai Ioniq 5 coming to the US this fall looks to be quite a capable and attractive vehicle. It has a very impressive fast charge rate among other impressive attributes.