Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Back on topic, I saw on the news tonight that Tesla has pulled the projected delivery date for its Cybertruck off its site. What's up with that?

That truck , what a sham and a shame!

I read briefly that Ford’s electric truck sold 200k units practically overnight. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I would assume that they don’t have enough of the new 4680 batteries on hand. Either that or they want to concentrate on the back order of Y’s.
That sounds right to me. The Cybertruck is also quite a departure from traditional assembly methods. Makes sense to maximize profits on the backlog of Model Y demand while they perfect the processes for building the new architecture.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Most people don't want to repair cars or have them repaired. Diesel owners are an exception to this, but people still fret about spending "more than the car's worth" which I've always thought is a false equation. And people tend to not trust cars as the miles accumulate. Or they want features (read=electronics) that older cars don't offer. I (and other members here) see a lack of electronics as a benefit, but many don't.
I overheard a conversation between 2 ladies about needing to trade in their cars. One said she put 40k miles on it and needed new tires, so she was going to trade hers in. She said it wasn't worth putting new tires on. It was a 3yr old car. I was laughing inside:ROFLMAO:o_O

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just put new tires on IBW. Afterwards it occurred to me that some folks would hesitate to buy new tires for a 20 year old car with 443K on it. Didn't even cross my mind until I had them on the car.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just put new tires on IBW. Afterwards it occurred to me that some folks would hesitate to buy new tires for a 20 year old car with 443K on it. Didn't even cross my mind until I had them on the car.
But when you see the cost of the low profile 20 inch tires on those new cars... Makes me understand a little more, but they also have a car payment to deal with, plus tons of other debt which I don't have, so in that sense, being that they can either pay only a car payment, or continue to pay the same amount plus the cost of tires, it kinda makes a little sense on the surface, until you get into the math and realize that they're drowning in debt...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
But when you see the cost of the low profile 20 inch tires on those new cars... Makes me understand a little more, but they also have a car payment to deal with, plus tons of other debt which I don't have, so in that sense, being that they can either pay only a car payment, or continue to pay the same amount plus the cost of tires, it kinda makes a little sense on the surface, until you get into the math and realize that they're drowning in debt...
And unfortunately the solution they choose is to take on more debt.

One of the many things I like about MKIVs is how cheap tires are. I run 15" wheels; the Michelin tires I just bought were $341 for four, shipped. And they'll probably last at least 50K miles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I overheard a conversation between 2 ladies about needing to trade in their cars. One said she put 40k miles on it and needed new tires, so she was going to trade hers in. She said it wasn't worth putting new tires on. It was a 3yr old car. I was laughing inside:ROFLMAO:o_O
I remember that discussion around my house. We decided that we didn't like the mileage on the truck I had at the time. It needed new tires and since we had already decided to downsize, it was around the issue of paying for new tires on something that we would be trading in. Didn't put the tires on it and got a check from the dealer for the difference in trade versus what we bought. Last year, we put new tires on both the truck at around 50k miles for about $1000.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Elon Time i guess. Probably related to when they can get the TX factory online.
I don't think so- the Texas factory is ready to go into production any minute now. It's more likely related to Tesla's ability to ramp up 4680 cell production. They probably don't want to bother making a temporary 2170 battery cell version of the Cybertruck. Bottom line profitablity is likely another big factor. They can make more money right now focusing on Model Y production in Texas.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The analyst Trip Chowdhry seems to think Tesla will be building two sizes of the Cybertruck. The smaller one would be 15-20% smaller than the large version. I think it's a great idea.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure why you'd think they are vaporware. It's not like this is VW with the Buzz van- which actually isn't vaporware either, just a decade or two late in getting to market. Tesla hasn't made any official announcements about the smaller Cybertruck/truck, so I'd just classify that one as a rumor at this point. I can see how the design is controversial. I thought it was an abomination immediately after the reveal, but now I'm really excited to see them on the road and up close.