Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Anyone here familiar with payphones. You know, you'd get to one and pickup the phone only to realize the wires been ripped out. And then imagine having to constantly be aware of these long cords laying all over the streets. I for sure would trip over a couple on a daily basis but that's what lawyers are for.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
"As followers of the EV media know, battery-bashing has been Toyota’s public policy for several years now. However, many may not be aware that the company is also waging a behind-the-scenes political push around the world to slow down the transition to EVs.

The New York Times reports that Chris Reynolds, a Toyota senior executive, recently traveled to Washington for closed-door meetings with congressional staff members, in which he emphasized his company’s opposition to the Biden administration’s proposed measures to promote EVs, arguing that hybrids and hydrogen vehicles should play a bigger role in the transition.
thanks for posting. I was thinking about this article when I started reading the most recent posts but hadn't taken the time to dig for it.Toyota sure has some funky looking cars in all the Olympic adds but there is no mention of the propulsion method used.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Monopolizing minerals and forcing manufacturers into one type of technological advancement is...... the whole thing just stinks.

Toyota invested heavily into their nitrogen program. Now to change course and follow suit in a market which is controlled by China is...... becoming someone's *****.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The first Model Y have been imported into Europe. Deliveries expected to begin at the end of the month. Musk has predicted that the Y will be the world's best selling vehicle in 2022. Seems ambitious, but might just come to pass.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Anyone here familiar with payphones. You know, you'd get to one and pickup the phone only to realize the wires been ripped out. And then imagine having to constantly be aware of these long cords laying all over the streets. I for sure would trip over a couple on a daily basis but that's what lawyers are for.
We actually have a payphone here in town, right next to the phone co-op's CO equivalent for our town. Supposedly it still works, which makes sense, given that Sprint and Verizon have crap coverage in this area, and US Cellular is non-existant. But I get your post, like in bigger cities such as Houston or Los Angeles.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
What if you end up with two vehicles in your garage: one TDI for road trips and one EV for the city?

It might make sense for a certain environmentally responsible population segment in the US and worldwide, correct?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every mining operation has environmental impacts. Nickel is no different. Aside from that, nickel free LFP batteries will probably dominate the market in the years ahead. Oil and gas exploration, refining, and use has it's own very serious impact on the environment and our health.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Best thing about trains is not driving through Chicago. Went through it Sunday, only the highway, but plenty bad enough. Running the train from there is pleasant and just slightly quicker.
Basically, if I am going through the Chicago area on a weekday from Minnesota to points east, I try to time it so I don't hit the Elgin toll on I-90 before 9am or 7pm, and try to reach the Indiana state line on 80/94 by 5am or 3pm.

Also, I would try to avoid trips toward the Chicago area on the last day of a holiday weekend. I have seen instances where the eastbound side of I-90 between Wisconsin Dells and the Madison area was jammed on such days.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
My dad in law bought a new 2021 Leaf. He loves it. He used to always own diesel vehicles and still owns 2: a Mercedes Benz BlueTec C320 and a Bluetec GLK. But he now mostly drives the Leaf for 98% of trips, reserving the ICE cars for trips to the coast. A few years ago, he started tinkering with electric vehicles by owning a used Leaf.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Leaf seems like it should be selling better than it is. I'm not sure if Nissan fully addressed the super rapid battery degradation that plagued the earlier Leafs. If not, the depreciation curve will be steep.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
100%. Sunrun was trying to screw me over with it. Why I found was https://sunroof.withgoogle.com/ which is pretty accurate for the number of sun hours on your roof, take the system size, and multiply it by those hours. Indigo, could you do that for your address and array size, and let me know if this works out fairly accurate for you as well?
Thank you Daemon64, very useful link! For my house and our average monthly electric bill (around $60, our stove, water heater, heater and dryer are all gas), the payoff for a 5.5 KW system would be 16 years. Historically I have been paying no more than 0.09/KWh thanks to a company called EnergySimply who manages our retail electric company for $5/month and switches as based on market trends and offers here in Texas.

Recently I signed up through Costco for a free consultation with Sunrun. I sent our June electric bill to the representative who I think decided not to come to our house but just send us a package via email (which I have not gotten yet). He told me on the phone I have one of the best rates and usages he has ever seen in the area :)

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Thank you Daemon64, very useful link! For my house and our average monthly electric bill (around $60, our stove, water heater, heater and dryer are all gas), the payoff for a 5.5 KW system would be 16 years. Historically I have been paying no more than 0.09/KWh thanks to a company called EnergySimply who manages our retail electric company for $5/month and switches as based on market trends and offers here in Texas.

Recently I signed up through Costco for a free consultation with Sunrun. I sent our June electric bill to the representative who I think decided not to come to our house but just send us a package via email (which I have not gotten yet). He told me on the phone I have one of the best rates and usages he has ever seen in the area :)
Hahaha I believe it there in Texas. Super difficult unless you're getting hammered like I am for rates and then get great subsidies / paybacks...

This is the example for me... keeping in mind my bill is around $300 / mo
I pay when everything is added up .256 / kwh .... crazy right?

( No idea why it won't let me tag this as an image )

Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Drove the Touareg with just the "yolk" today... Kids don't do drugs 🙃

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Damn- a little quick saw work and that's a dead ringer for a Tesla yoke, lol. Do it. Looks like you've already been cleaning it with a wire wheel.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn- a little quick saw work and that's a dead ringer for a Tesla yoke, lol. Do it. Looks like you've already been cleaning it with a wire wheel.
I won't even spend the $2 on a Sharpie to fill those scratches in. This thing chugs gasoline so hard, they know me by my first name at the gas fill.

In other news-- They passed the 1T infrastructure bill enroute to House. After all maybe there will be am $85 billion EV infrastructure plan and leftover for the rails too.

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I won't even spend the $2 on a Sharpie to fill those scratches in. This thing chugs gasoline so hard, they know me by my first name at the gas fill.

In other news-- They passed the 1T infrastructure bill enroute to House. After all maybe there will be am $85 billion EV infrastructure plan and leftover for the rails too.
Yeah, and that doesn't include the 3.5T bill their working on which supposedly will have other credits and such for green energy. Should be interesting to see what they come up with atleast.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a great sign that the infrastructure bill passed the senate with bipartisan support. It doesn't include funding for EV tax credits/rebates, but does have funds included for EV charging infrastructure. The bigger spending package with the tax credits/rebates will be headed for the budget reconciliation process. That should be interesting- I think they'll get both budgets pushed across the line.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
I chatted with someone at Tesla online, and they said the cybertruck can tow 500+ miles at 14,000+ pounds of towing payload. Thsoe numbers seem fishy..
If by fishy you mean physics impossible @ sellable price then I'm with you.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy one if you cut those numbers to 1/3 of the claims, but for sure "fishy."

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not so much fishy as probably just a confused Tesla employee. Or maybe they got the impression that they were dealing with more of a tire kicker than a truly interested buyer(still not a great excuse for giving out bad info). I know for sure that Tesla doesn't employ Nikola's downhill tow rating system. :)

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Every mining operation has environmental impacts. Nickel is no different. Aside from that, nickel free LFP batteries will probably dominate the market in the years ahead. Oil and gas exploration, refining, and use has it's own very serious impact on the environment and our health.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI

... Monetizing delusions of grandeur whilst ignoring the conditional errors of habitual homosapes? Thats not what we do is sell false narratives, perplexing tears of greatness which we cry.

Btw you no longer get to eat my lunch- https://electrek.co/2021/08/11/us-senate-40000-limit-price-electric-cars-ev-tax-credit/

Last edited: