White Smoke, broken intercooler

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, (2) 02 Jetta, 03 Jetta, 15 Jetta
Without covering the full saga, I have an 02 Jetta which is blowing lots of white smoke (fuel, not coolant). It has an intercooler which has blown apart (o-ring hanging from it), and is giving me a 19561 code. While I work on that code, I thought I would see if the busted intercooler would be the cause for the white smoke.

Also, at 2000 RPM, with a fixed throttle position, the engine surges 300 to 400 RPM. Is this perhaps because of the large opening in the intercooler, or is that likely unrelated?

Any ideas?

I am sure I will be working on this for a few more hours.

edit: It seems that the white smoke could be because of overfueling, as the leak in the intercooler will cause the MAF to have a higher reading. Not sure on this, but will attempt to see if I can fix the intercooler...perhaps epoxy and duct tape or some such silly thing, until I can get a new one in.

Last edited:

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
Replace the intercooler, then determine if you have another issue. A boost leak is not healthy for the engine, nor your wallet.

Jake

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
I now have the intercooler out, and will be replacing it. However, I am trying to better understand things, so that if there are other parts I should be getting I can order them now, rather than put in the intercooler, and find out that I need a other item which may take another 5 days to get here.

Besides, I would rather understand things than just replace parts.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Broken Intercooler

I now have the intercooler out, and will be replacing it. However, I am trying to better understand things, so that if there are other parts I should be getting I can order them now, rather than put in the intercooler, and find out that I need a other item which may take another 5 days to get here.

Besides, I would rather understand things than just replace parts.
Is the O-Ring hanging out the only problem with the intercooler?
If its not physically broken I do not see a reason to replace it.
Rock Auto may have it if you check the web site or a local hardware store or supply house may have something close.
It only prevents air from leaking out in my opinion.

Rich W.

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
The plastic on the intercooler has separated from the core, across 3 of the four attachment planes. There is more leakage area than there is inlet area by 10X.

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW when the leaking intercooler was replaced, the smoke issue was resolved.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
To back up what Jake S has said if you don't already know: a major leak on the pressure side of the engine--turbo discharge--can cause the turbo to go into over speed as the ECU keeps calling for boost and does not get it. Over speed = turbo death.